· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Talking I want an angel so bad! But is it a good idea.....?

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a 56 gallon aquarium that is 30"L X 24"H X 18"D. It is a planted tank with sand substrate and driftwood. It's been set up for 4 months. I have 8 cherry barbs, 6 bleeding heart tetras, 2 bolivian rams, 2 nerite snails, and 1 bristlenose pleco.

I would love love LOVE to have angelfish. From what I've read for my tank size it's safest to go with just 1. I've been doing research on this for a month or so. I'm all about research. Don't want to make any bad decisions due to ignorance. So far I haven't found any bad situations with angels and rams. All of my fish are very peaceful and get along great. In general they sound like good community fish. I would really like to have one but I want some advice first. Maybe I've missed an article or something that says "Never put them with rams!" or something like that.

I've been going through this site and forum trying to absorb as much information. I love this forum and have found it to be so helpful. Figured I might as well just post a thread with my situation and see what you guys say. Are rams a bad idea? Or what about bleeding hearts?

Thanks for reading and/or replying!

P.S. I'm not looking to get anything until I feel satisfied with my research.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept angels and rams together for years with no problems between them at all. I think you would be fine with a single angel in your setup. Keep in mind that if the rams breed, the angel will eat the fry.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Kingfisher. You'll have no trouble with an angel and your rams. Cherry barbs are not fin nippers so they are no danger to the angel's gorgeous fins. The bleeding hearts, however, may be a different story. I have had no personal experience with bleeding hearts and angels but from what I've read, they might give an angel some problems. :o(
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    BTW - I have a single angel in a 30 gal with harlequin rasboras, zebra danios, cory cats and a BNP. Absolutely no problems. Just thought i'd toss out that option.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I agree with Kingfisher. You'll have no trouble with an angel and your rams. Cherry barbs are not fin nippers so they are no danger to the angel's gorgeous fins. The bleeding hearts, however, may be a different story. I have had no personal experience with bleeding hearts and angels but from what I've read, they might give an angel some problems. :o(
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    BTW - I have a single angel in a 30 gal with harlequin rasboras, zebra danios, cory cats and a BNP. Absolutely no problems. Just thought i'd toss out that option.
    Really? I hadn't heard about the bleeding hearts. Eesh. Time for more research! Thanks for the heads up.
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was in my LFS today looking for cherry shrimp and came across an angelfish that had been donated to the store because it wasn't wanted anymore. I know the owners pretty well (been shopping there since I was a kid) and they decided to let me have it for half price. I told them my situation with my current inhabitants and they said there shouldn't be any problems. They also mentioned that it hadn't shown any aggression or dominance with its tankmates at the store.Though they said if anything did come out of it I could take it back.

So I brought the fish home and so far everything is great. The other fish don't even seem to care that there's a big fish in there and the angelfish is just keeping to itself. When I bought the angelfish I assumed that it was p. scalare but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking it might actually be p. altum. Can anyone help me identify what I have here?

IMG_20130804_192723.jpg

Very beautiful fish. I'm in love.

I've only had this angelfish for about 7 hours and already I can see the great personality that it has. I don't know why anyone would want to give it away.