· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    Summer temp rises are different, I have these too. Just wanted to ensure the basic temp was not this high year-round.
    This tank was only set up in June. However, it makes logical sense to drop the temp in winter, because the house gets really cold then. A lower temp = less work for the heater then.

On the CO2, many don't realize how much is naturally occurring, mainly from the breakdown by bacteria of organics in the substrate. Ths is why I don't mess with my substrate, no "cleaning" as it were. I have a 20g planted tank with no fish (this is the QT tank for new arrivals, so it is without fish for several months) and the plants do well in this tank even without fish producing ammoniaq and waste.
    And I've heard from others that they didn't get good growth until they started boosting the carbon/CO2. It's all about the tank's individual needs. I won't know what works for my tank unless I actually start getting it to work.

The rotala seems to be the stem that's doing the best. The two stems in my QT tank are definitely growing (especially the taller one, the shorter one has a bad case of diatom algae that I just can't get off of it. I've tried gently wiping, but any movement that's strong enough to take off the diatoms also risks pulling off the leaf). I'll need to take a pic of the 5 gal tonight so I can do a visual comparison. I know when i was checking this morning it certainly seemed more open than it had been when I first added the rotala and angustofolia.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    70g Nov 28-12 (2) (800x363).jpg
    The rotala seems to be the stem that's doing the best. The two stems in my QT tank are definitely growing (especially the taller one, the shorter one has a bad case of diatom algae that I just can't get off of it. I've tried gently wiping, but any movement that's strong enough to take off the diatoms also risks pulling off the leaf). I'll need to take a pic of the 5 gal tonight so I can do a visual comparison. I know when i was checking this morning it certainly seemed more open than it had been when I first added the rotala and angustofolia.
    If brownish-algae is that hard to remove, it is not diatoms but another form of brush algae. It usually has a blackish colour, but I have seen it dark brownish. Check back with those algae photos I attached a few posts back and on the chain sword leaves in one photo you will see this. Diatoms always wipe off easily.

And I've heard from others that they didn't get good growth until they started boosting the carbon/CO2. It's all about the tank's individual needs. I won't know what works for my tank unless I actually start getting it to work.
    Please understand I am not just arguing here, but seriously trying to present the situation. "Good growth" is subjective. I consider I have amazing growth from my plants, but I know that if I were to double the light and add CO2 by difussion I would likely get even more. And be able to have other more-demanding plants. But what value is that, unless I want a plant garden rather than a fishh tank that happens to have plants? It is what the aquarist wants in the end that should determine the approach. Plants will be fine in almost any environment within reason. Growth may be slower, but there is nothing wrong with that because the plants are still doing what they do best--filtering the water for the fish.

I haven't added photos of my tanks to this thread yet, aside from my 90g river habitat in the avatar. And as I've finally figured out how, I'll add a photo of my 70g flooded Amazon forest tank as it was before I tore it down this past March to replace the gravel with sand. Remember, there is no added CO2 here, it is all natural from the organics.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    If brownish-algae is that hard to remove, it is not diatoms but another form of brush algae. It usually has a blackish colour, but I have seen it dark brownish. Check back with those algae photos I attached a few posts back and on the chain sword leaves in one photo you will see this. Diatoms always wipe off easily.
    It certainly looks, acts, and feels like diatoms. It's not so much that they're hard to wipe off (they come off easily from everything else, and it's the same stuff), but rather the delicacy of the rotala leaves and my ability (or lack thereof) to wipe them without accidentally pulling off the leaves.

Please understand I am not just arguing here, but seriously trying to present the situation. "Good growth" is subjective. I consider I have amazing growth from my plants, but I know that if I were to double the light and add CO2 by difussion I would likely get even more. And be able to have other more-demanding plants. But what value is that, unless I want a plant garden rather than a fishh tank that happens to have plants? It is what the aquarist wants in the end that should determine the approach. Plants will be fine in almost any environment within reason. Growth may be slower, but there is nothing wrong with that because the plants are still doing what they do best--filtering the water for the fish.

I haven't added photos of my tanks to this thread yet, aside from my 90g river habitat in the avatar. And as I've finally figured out how, I'll add a photo of my 70g flooded Amazon forest tank as it was before I tore it down this past March to replace the gravel with sand. Remember, there is no added CO2 here, it is all natural from the organics.
    That's definitely a beautiful tank.

Here's the kind of growth I'm looking for. I want to be able to look at pictures taken a month apart and be able to see a difference. I want the plants to be able to handle the nitrates being produced/going into the tank. At least when I started this thread, I wasn't hitting that first point for the supposedly faster-growing of the plants in the tank. And I certainly haven't been hitting the second.

Yes, there's nitrates in my tap and they aren't helping. However, the ammonia problems started well before nitrates in the tap was a significant issue, and the rise in nitrates in the tank also predates the tap problems. That means that there's something wrong with the way my tank is set up that I need to figure out and fix, and in the meantime waterchanges won't be helpful in diluting nitrogen until I can get that figured out. I am looking into some of AbbeysDad's suggestions, but out of the ones I can afford, I can't just run out and buy at the stores near me. The fastest (and still not immediate) hope I have for resolving at least some issues is to get the new filter added and re-scape my tank. The new plants arrived, though it took a day longer than it should have and the plants are looking a bit worse for wear. I have them in a bucket of treated water with a light on timers so that hopefully they'll have a bit of a chance to recover before I put some of them in the tank during the rescaping.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, I was definitely wrong about plants not growing... At the very least, out of the stems, the rotala is growing. Here's two pics, one from 7/25, the other taken just a bit ago.

My betta likes swimming in the densely planted areas. Adding in more plants should make him happier. And here are some of the first stems to go in the tank. They're still tiny! You can see the newest java fern plantlet in the background those haven't really grown since I got them, but they have put out several plantlets. And it looks like some of the salvinia is adapting to my tank, even though I'm pulling brown melted plants of it out every day.

And another pair of comparison shots, this time to show how the plants in the QT have grown since I added them (which would have been 7/22). I actually ended up trimming the taller rotala tonight. The rotala seems to love that tank, which also has a 14 watt 5000K light on it.

Still haven't decided on whether I'm going to go with the 13 watt or 23 watt light when I change them. I know when I set up the 8 gallon, I'm going to use one 23 watt, and the 10 watt that I set up this tank with. My idea is to have it go from bright at one end, to dimmer at the other. But for this tank? I just don't know.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, went to Petco to get biomedia and a check valve for the new filter, and look what I found:

Now, they don't list this as a product on their site, so I thought I'd have to order it and pay shipping.

Now, I'll have to figure out a way to juggle around containers to be able to have the water treated for tomorrow's re-do of the tank...

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Well, the water I had been filtering with nitra-zorb to use in re-doing my tank only dropped to about 30ppm nitrates...The color was between the 20 and 40 shades on the card.
    1. 2. (No Picture)