· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Plants not growing?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm starting this to run parallel to the thread I have in the General Aquarium forum, but for a specific side issue that's come up that there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about.

Namely, I don't think my nitrogen mop plants are growing, and I don't know why. There are stems that have been in the tank for a month, and are still the same size as they were going in.

Tank details. 5 gallon, using the filter the tank came with, but baffled (an Aqueon Minibow Quietflow). Substrate is Eco Complete. Lighting is currently a 14watt 5000K CFL. When I set up the tank, it was a 10watt 6500K CFL, but when I changed to a sponge baffle, it started blocking more of that light than I was comfortable with. The water quality history of the tank can be seen here, on the second page. You'll likely need to zoom in to read, because I don't know why Google Docs is being stupid and can't fix it.

The overall water quality issues are the focus of my thread in the General Aquarium forum, but I think issues with plants growing are a contributing factor, and needed a separate thread in this forum to get more focused answers.

I have two types of Aubias, Java ferns, Cryptocoryne wendtii, mystery (likely a type of Hygrophila) stems, Rotala, Hygrophila angustifolia, and Salvinia in my tank. The Anubias are putting out leaves, and the java ferns are producing plantlets, but that is all the growth I've seen.

My lights in the tank are on a schedule where they're on for 4 hours, off 2 hours, and on for 5. One day I did two water changes during the 2 hour break, because nitrates had skyrocketed. After the two changes, they were down to about 30ppm when the lights came back on. All of the plants proceeded to pearl like crazy. Nitrates were at 5 when I tested the next morning. That was the last time I had a major drop in nitrates.

What can I do to promote the growth of my nitrogen mop plants? Would adding CO2 or liquid ferts help?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    more light would help some of those plants grow faster, but the aubias and ferns will be stunted by the extra light. co2 would help and ferts would help too.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, the light is about as bright as I want to go with the low-light plants so exposed. I did call the tank manufacturer to check on the ratings for the light socket in the hood, just to see how high I could potentially go if needed (the user manuals for the tank are useless when it comes to technical specs). The socket in the hoods are rated for up to 25 watts.

I was thinking along the lines of not having enough CO2, but another high-ranked member commented that it wouldn't make the difference I'm looking for. I though that seemed a bit confusing.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    Co2 with medium lighting like this is debateable. Tbh tho it would hurt (if you keep an eye on it right). Another issue i see is the 5000k bulb. Up that to the 6500k and it might help
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

0 Not allowed!
    You've got good lighting for the fairly undemanding species you have, a nutrient substrate so the only thing I think is missing is CO2. Liquid ferts could help a bit but many of your plants tend to be root feeders and you have the substrate covered anyways.
    I had the same dilemma a while back. Good light and nutrients, but no plant growth. Then I added CO2 and they all took off.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    Co2 with medium lighting like this is debateable. Tbh tho it would hurt (if you keep an eye on it right). Another issue i see is the 5000k bulb. Up that to the 6500k and it might help
    I was trying to find 6500K bulbs, but at the stores I've been to, all of the daylight CFLs at this wattage were 5000K. I'd much rather have 6500K, honestly, but I have to work with what's available and can't run around to every single store in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    You've got good lighting for the fairly undemanding species you have, a nutrient substrate so the only thing I think is missing is CO2. Liquid ferts could help a bit but many of your plants tend to be root feeders and you have the substrate covered anyways.
    I had the same dilemma a while back. Good light and nutrients, but no plant growth. Then I added CO2 and they all took off.
    I thought only the Anubias and Crypts were root feeders, and everything else water column? Either way, I should be good on nutrients with water as hard as I have, and the Eco Complete.

When I ran out to the store to have them check my water (to see if their findings would corroborate my test kit, especially the nitrates), I picked up a bottle of CO2 boost. I think I'm going try add one drop tonight, see if it does anything, and then tomorrow morning do 3 drops for the day (closest to 2.5 drops), then start slowly upping the ammount every few days so as to try to acclimate the Crypts to the liquid.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Stem plants do use the water column, but in my experience only java fern and salvinia really rely on the water column.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Aaaaah. Alright.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    So, the dosing for the liquid CO2 is the same as for Prime--2 drops per gallon. Yesterday, I added one drop for the second light stretch, and then today I added 2 drops before each of the light periods, for a total of 4/10 drops. Tomorrow I'll be upping it to 3 drops each time.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    you might want to take it slowly with ferts, since you arent injecting co2.
    i would do 1/2 dose a week for 2-4 weeks, and look for algae. if theres no algae double that dose. ect
    gotta love them bunnies!