· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bolivian Ram Has Never Been Shy Until Now

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 Bolivian Rams in a 56 gallon planted community tank. The tank has been set up for 4 months and I've had all the fish in there for 2-3 months. I've had the rams specifically for 2 months. They both get along together very nicely and don't mind their tank mates. Everyone is very happy. About a month ago I got these little ceramic caves for the rams to make their homes. I put one on either side of the tank since that's how they've established their territories. The entire month that they've had them neither of them have even looked at them. Not once. Now all of a sudden one of them is in the cave and will not come out. I'm pretty sure it's the female. She's been in there for 3 days now and like I said, won't come out. Not even for food. The male is sticking close by.

I thought maybe breeding was involved but I never saw any sort of courting. Sure they could have done it while I'm work but I feel like I would have seen something when I'm home. I also read that they usually like to lay their eggs on flat surfaces, not in caves. I'm just a bit concerned since she isn't coming out to eat.

It seems weird that she's become so shy when absolutely nothing has changed. I've been monitoring the male to see if maybe he's being aggressive but everything looks fine. He's acting normal.

She looks pretty cute in there though. :)

20130727_192843.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? Should I be concerned or am I just being paranoid? Lol
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco
    5gal Hex: Betta
    1.5gal: Planted Cherry Shrimp

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like egg guarding to me.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    ^^agree with the egg guarding.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above. How exciting!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh my goodness I'm getting excited! Anyone know of a good article on what to do next if that's what's going on?
    56gal Freshwater Planted Community: 1 Angelfish, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Cherry Barbs, 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 2 Nerite Snails, 1 Yellow Tail Eel, and 1 Bristlenose Pleco

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyssaasaurus View Post
    Oh my goodness I'm getting excited! Anyone know of a good article on what to do next if that's what's going on?
    The fish will do what is needed until the point at which the eggs have hatched and the fry become free swimming. At that stage, you need to provide the fry with small food. Newly hatched brine shrimp are standard, and I powder some flake food with my fingers, mix it with tank water in a small glass or dish so it will sink, then use a pipette to squirt it into the shoal. Several times a day.

The male and female will shepherd the fry around. Sometimes one parent does this, sometimes both. If the fish listed for your 55g are in this tank, the Bristlenose may be a problem at night; the parents rest at night, and nocturnal fish like most catfish and such find the eggs/fry easy pickings.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    W0W, fingers crossed f0r y0u! That IS exciting. If they are indeed breeding, y0u have happy fish, congrats!!!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Very cool indeed! Please keep us posted!

What else do you have in the tank?

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    There is a really good product called liquifry that I use on cichlid fry. It comes out in a glob of nurishment small enough for the little babies to gorge on. 1 week of that then its crushed flake from then on.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit58 View Post
    If the fish listed for your 55g are in this tank, the Bristlenose may be a problem at night; the parents rest at night, and nocturnal fish like most catfish and such find the eggs/fry easy pickings.

Byron.
    I didn't know about the bristlenose possibly being an issue. Makes sense though. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Very cool indeed! Please keep us posted!

What else do you have in the tank?
    I have 6 bleeding heart tetras, 8 cherry barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 2 nerite snails.

So little update. I've been watching my tank like a hawk watching for eggs or fry and I haven't really seen anything. The ram has come out of the cave and they're both swimming around together now. They never really did that before. Least not this much. So I think it's safe to say that they've paired up which I'm quite excited about!

As for eggs and fry I'm wondering if my bristlenose found a yummy treat :(