· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    if you do it correctly then there should be no substrate leaving the tank. if you have plants its beneficial to leave some of the gunk in the gravel as a natural fert. my 55 just gets what gunk is on the surface sucked up and that it.
    Okay, can you help me, then? When I use my vacuum as instructed on the video produced for my specific model, I suck up substrate and get the valve clogged with gravel. I can't get the balance between getting lighter gunk sucked up, or getting EVERYTHING sucked up.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks fishmommie

can anyone tell me what gourami i have in my tank its in Gourami section but no relies yet

Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    + to this. what your friend was probably saying is that when you vac, you remove some of the beneficial bacteria from your substrate. And that's true, however, 90% of you BB lives in your filter and on your filter media, so when you vac the bottom the benefits of removing the waste far exceeds any loss of minimal BB in the substrate.
    As genocidex said, if you have a planted tank then you will vac the surface lightly and let the waste act as fertilizer for your plants. if your tank is not planted or is lightly planted, then you want to get rid of as much waste as possible on a regular basis. again, vac half of the tank one week and half the other.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    the idea with gravel vacs is when the gravel comes half way up the chamber you pull the chamber out of the gravel and let all the gravel fall back into the tank. ill see if i can help in a moment on your gourami.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just a Matter of interest how long does it take for a tank 36x15x18 to drop 3 degrees,

my temp has gone down to 26c my heater has not gone on yet its set for about 25c

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    that depends 0n the temp 0f the r00m that the tank is in. If the r00m has an a/c in it the temp will dr0p rather quickly. S0metimes the heaters aren't calibrated 100% accurately, what it l00ks like it is set f0r may be 0ff a few degrees t0 what it is actually set f0r. use a thermometer t0 check the water temp right when the heater kicks 0n.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    heres a link for ammonia toxicity with ph and temp.
    http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/ammoniatox.html

just because some levels of ammonia arent "deadly" on the chart, prolonged ammonia exposure can cause gill damage and in turn kill fish, so no ammonia is safe
    wh0a, c00l. acc0rding t0 this chart at 6.6 pH and 80 degrees I d0n't have anything t0 w0rry ab0ut, amm0nia wise, until 8ppm. N0t that I w0uld ever all0w it t0 g0 0ver .5 anyway with0ut a water change. My amm is dead 0n 0 ppm al0ng with nitrites- need a PWC this week th0ugh my trates just hit 10ppm.
    Thanks f0r that inf0 Gen0cidex, I truly appreciate y0ur eff0rt in p0sting that f0r me.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!