· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Just keep an eye out for it. Whenever you see your Betta stressed, find and fix the problem immediately. Stress is a huge killer of Betta, they can go downhill very quickly when ut under stress for any length of time.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Skye is definitely much better now with the fixed background. :) He is the shyest betta I have ever seen though. He doesnt touch his food until after i leave the area and only comes out of the cave to look in the mirror occasionally or to swim around when im spying on him from across the room. Otherwise he hates me and does not allow pictures. He has colored up amazingly and is starting to grow now. His fins spikes are growing faster than he is, the ones on his dorsal are longer than the actual solid fin part! He is now a beautiful lilac purple body with a sprinkling of bright blue spots thicker towards the back of the body. On the top of his head there is a bright reddish pink spot. His fins are white with sparse royal purple spots, a line of them on the anal fin. All fins are heavily splotched with sky blue. Almost all of the spikes on caudal and anal fin are sky blue, spikes on dorsal are almost all royal purple. Dorsal has absolutely no purple other than the spikes. I dont get to see his ventral fins enough to tell you what they look like, but I do know that they have cute little spikes on them and are mostly white. Pectoral fins are white with sky blue shimmer. They are very large, almost as big as the "dumbo bettas" they sell around here.

So yea, I think this whole problem is fixed, he seems happy with background now. I wish I knew how to make him like me and his food better. He seems to like eating algae instead of food. Odd for a betta, but whatever. I feed him very small amounts, like four flakes a day since he wont eat them that I see. I stare at him for about fifteen minutes total a day trying to make him get used to me. Not working.
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe you should try something like I used to do with my shyer fish; get a book, a video game, whatever, and just sit in a chair next to the tank for a while. Don't even look at him, just do whatever. Bettas are curious, he'll eventually come out to see what you're doing. Anything with a moving screen will get their attention big-time.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    I just noticed in your last post, I must have overlooked it before...... "he comes out to look at the mirror". You don't have a mirror permanently installed in the tank do you? If you do, remove it, that may be the cause of "shy betta". If there is a constant reflection of himself, he will think he is living in close quarters with another male, and become extremely timid.

Instead of staring at him, pull up a chair and sit by him doing other things, but not looking at him. He will get used to your presence.

If he doesn't like his food, this could be another reason he hasn't become "friendly". Betta quickly realize where the food train comes from, and start to get pretty darn excited when you come around. If they don't like the food, and snub it, they are not going to be too interested in you. Betta are notorious for disliking flake food, try pellet food instead designed for Betta. Good brands are Omega one, New life Spectrum, and Aqueon. If that doesn't float his little fishy boat, try a few freeze dried bloodworm, that should entice him. Once he connects you to "yummies" he'll start warming up and be a welcome wagon when you enter the room.
    Last edited by Tiari; 08-11-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No Tiari, i bring the mirror to his tank and tape it on about 3-5mins in the morning and sometimes again at night if I have time. :)

I shall try this reading a book near him like you guys say. And i will try a different food. I usually get them eating Betta-Min because I have so much of that from people giving me all their old bettas. I guess im not losing any money switching foods since all the Betta-Min was free. :) I have Aqueon Pellets ive tried him on. He seems to show a little more interest in those. If my cat stops stealing that one I can keep it out for him. The cat somehow knows how to open the Aqueon jar I have and keeps spilling them all over floor and eating them like a wierd freak creature. Lol.

EDIT: I got a picture today by spying on him when he tried to hide in the old frog dish. This is why I want him to warm up to me so much. I want to just stare at this all day. He is by far the most beautiful fish I have ever owned. I hope this food change and not staring starts to work soon!
    1157739_535726186483064_203093334_n.jpg
    1095001_535726189816397_1288456003_n.jpg
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 08-13-2013 at 12:25 AM.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The store's betta section had Tetra, Aqueon, Hikari, Pure Aquatic, Top Fin and Wardley. I had a hard time between Pure Aquatic and Aqueon since I really didnt know what I was looking for. Both seemed to have good ingredients, no fillers in first five things i saw. Aqueon pellets were $0.30 cheaper so i got them and he ate like hes been starving this whole time. Picky betta! At least hes happy now. Ancient wardley betta pellets in trash, and one thing of flakes saved for now, other thrown away. I use the flakes for baby mollies sometimes when I'm growing them out because for some reason they do great on Betta-Min. But he was actually eating the food as i dropped it today when i got home with Aqueon pellets, so yay!
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For algae clean up I wouldn't bother with an apple snail, I never found them much good. Nerites are fantastic, but they'll lay little white eggs all over the place.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    your betta is beautiful! I'm glad things are finally starting to work for the two of you.

BTW: My crowntail loves frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms. I treat him with a couple of each every week but generally feed betta pellets which he devours.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 on the frozen shrimp. My female will eat flakes finally, but it took her a long time. I give her frozen shrimp 2-3 times a week. She actually eats them off my finger.

have a blessed day
    Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 ont he shrimp and worms. I feed them to my betta when I have ADfrog in my tank with him and he ate them big time.

I do not like the idea of using a mirror with Bettas at ALL. If they puff at it, its a form of stress.