· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Unhappy New Betta Stressed by Background

0 Not allowed!
    My wonderful new-ish betta randomly ballooned up and died a week after a major water change and fixer-upper of my betta tank, so i bought a new one. I have no idea what killed him. It was odd. But whatever, new one now. A beautiful color changing crowntail.

Today I was watching the awesome new betta i named Skye to see how he is settling in now that its his third day here. I started to notice that whenever he gets right close to the background i have up he starts to fluff up and his pectoral fins move very fast and his breathing quickens a bit as he stares at the background for several seconds. I've never had a betta afraid of this background before. Its a blue background with colorful green and red plants and a few platies on it. No air bubbles at the areas ive seen him flare so i don't think he is seeing his reflection.

My grandma thinks he will get used to it. Im not sure. Does anybody have experience with this kind of thing. Do they get used to it or do i need a new background for him? Its reversible so i can try the side that has tan rocks and purple and green plants and thats it. Kinda ugly with this tank setup though. Looks better on my glofish tank where i already have that side in use.

If i do need a simpler background since maybe this one is overstimulating him with too many colors or something, im thinking solid blue or solid black. The tank looks like this right now (except that betta in the tank in this pic is dead):
    I can't see in my head which color would work best for this tank. Will black make it too dark, or will black make my fish/plant colors pop more? Will blue make it look wierd? Any other suggestions on a new background if required that would look great and be simple for the betta?
    10gal Betta Tank - Skye the crowntail and Squiggles the deformed albino cory
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    is it possible he's seeing his reflection at a certain spot in the background? Maybe the tank light is shining on it and causing a reflection and he's flaring at what he thinks it's another betta? Check that out and maybe there's something you can do to correct the glare.

If not and he only does this occasionally and not for long periods of time, I think I'd wait and see if he settles down. He's in a new environment, he's bound to be a little skittish.
    If it continues for a couple of weeks, however, and he does it often, all that flaring isn't good for him. Then you might want to consider changing out your background and simply experimenting to see what works.

I'm also assuming that you cycled this tank (see my signature line for how to cycle), that it's filtered and heated and that you make regular water changes and test your perimeters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea, its an old tank. Been thru a few bettas already. I did find an air bubble actually in the general area he was at on closer inspection, so i guess that was the problem. I took off background and flipped to reversible side since i didnt have enough vaseline to do that later if it ended up necessary, then reapplied and made it bubble free. I think he might have had a problem with the air bubble that allowed reflection and the platies on the background. He seems better now. My big red rock really blends into the background much nicer, so maybe i like this better anyway.

If you are curious:
    1005633_529503597105323_1133730102_n.jpg

So now hopefully all better! He at least is leaving the back wall alone now. It was almost constant. Still deciding how much i like this background...
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    glad you figured it out. i actually like this background better :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

0 Not allowed!
    Don't want to be mean, but your tank looks pretty filthy!
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, you're right firefly. The algae got a bit out of control. There's a lot of sun on this tank so if i don't keep a good eye on it it gets bad fast. Plus I used API Accu-Clear to clear up particulates that come up from sand every time i do a large water change. That makes the plants get covered in nasty, and then it usually makes the java moss on the driftwood get horrible. That was 2 weeks ago and the moss is still recovering from that, so its brown and disgusting.

The rotala wants to float and the crypts wont turn pretty. They are naturally that nasty brown-green for me on top of leaves, and pink underneath. The algae on the front of tank at bottom i cant get without messing up my river. The river is really hard to assemble, so the dirt under that never gets removed. I wish i still had my snails for that. The tank used to be overstocked, so you couldnt even see through the glass before i "deep-cleaned" everything with my 98% water change and scrubbing of sides the other week. Barely any new algae now. The rest is actually seeming to start to die.

Plus right now outside is covered in dirt and vaseline from me changing background and everything is reflecting off the front from the bright sun in the room. Lol.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think the new background looks better, and your betta seems happy now! What size is that tank? Depending on how large it is, a nerite snail would be a good candidate for an algae eater.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Its a 10gal with a filter rated for 30. I'm planning on getting a few new snails. My one betta that was so friendly to everything decided he wanted to eat them all. Expensive horned nerites...

Or are there any plecos that can be alone, stay smaller than like 3 inches, and are easy to find that could go in there? If not I'll just buy more snails off ebay.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    IMO a pleco - even a BN is too large for a 10 gallon tank. Try apple snails. they're great at eating algae but feed them some summer squash or zucchini too and they'll love you for it.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok. That's what i thought about the plecos. I don't like the BNs anyway. I think their noses look creepy, lol.

ADD:
    Skye seems much happier now with his tank. I haven't seen him flare once at the background since i fixed/changed it yesterday. :) And I am now loving the background too. It really does look a lot better. Skye is a smart fish. He knew the other side was better, lol.
    Last edited by ekfishlover2011; 07-29-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    10gal Tank- Glofish
    75gal- Everything