· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Boesemani rainbows - considering

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,

For around a month now I've had a 350 litre (121x51x66cm) set up. Heavily planted with the following stock:
    7 peppered cories
    5 sterbai cories
    28 cherry barbs
    9 otocinclus

All these fish are bottom half lurkers so I've been looking for something to add for the top. I'm still undecided and, whilst I have a shortlist of species for this role, I'm looking into Boesemani Rainbows.

I'm a bit concerned they're too big and boisterous for a four foot tank so, if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'm all ears.

Water is moderately hard to hard. pH is 7.0-7.5. Filtration is about 400% overfiltered.

Thanks.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I considered Bosemanis for my 90 gallon when I set it up but ended up going the cichlid route. From my research on bosemani's, however, I remember that a 4 foot tank is the minimum size because they are such fast swimmers. I think you'd be okay.
    My LFS has a 120 gal with bosemanis and congo tetras that's just gorgeous.
    Will be eager to see what you decide.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, yes I think that's why I'm hesitant.

Pros:
    Very bright and colourful - I don't have anything blue/yellow and they do have that marine wow-factor look about them.
    Swim at the top.
    Like hard water.

Cons:
    Might be too large and boisterous for what I want (peace).
    Would easily push my stocking to limit.
    I was aiming for lots of small fish in a large tank so this would go against that aim.

Hmmm...I might leave them actually and stick to my original plan of black neon tetra or false penguin tetra and a pair of apistogramma cacatuoides or Apistogramma borellii or Laetacara dorsigera (probably the latter).

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just an fyi - the bosemani at my LFS swim at all levels of the tank but the bottom. :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm...ok. I've kept dwarf neon rainbows before and they stuck to the top. Assumed the same with these.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!! - fishmommie Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Merry Christmas to you and the fam. - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Your probably get tired of hearing me say it; but you should go with your penguin tetra idea, LOL.

But what the heck, a video to help sell you:

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What a beautiful tank. I think steeler is right. Those penguins are gorgeous!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks both I think they are still absolutely the top of the list (I've seen that great video before)

I'm just making sure I've covered every option first. I don't want to stock it with one species and then think, "damn, I wish I'd thought of that species". I'm obsessively and thoroughly checking out every species. !

I've ruled out anything red as I already have a ton of cherry barbs to cover that base.

Top of the dwarf cichlid list is Laetacara dorsigera as they seem to be the least aggressive from what I've read so far. The only concern I have with any dwarf cichlid is their habit of digging - I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!! - fishmommie Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Merry Christmas to you and the fam. - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    From what I've read about Laetacara dorsigera, they don't seem to have a digging problem. When they spawn, they like a flat surface.

I think I'm going to order a pair (I hope) tommorow when I order my Cory's.

In this video they have more blue highlights in the tails.

Last edited by steeler58; 07-28-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    They are stunning. Arguably more insteresting than apistogramma as they are not often seen. Yes I think I'll see about ordering a pair from my LFS. They ship them in from Eastern Europe I think. I'll ask about captive bred ones as I think they may be easier to acclimate.