· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I'll wait for the photo also, LOL, and a big + 1 to Byron and his comment on school sizes. I never buy tetras in anything smaller than 10. Even Emperor tetras that are not realy schooler's but still like each other company.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Finally got some photos of the unknown tetras

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps052ca86e.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14f3ab2e.jpg

Thanks for the information about fish stress and school size. They also look nicer in bigger groups.

Not sure if the photos will work. It seems like every time I go to post photos, I have to relearn how to do it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
    Finally got some photos of the unknown tetras

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps052ca86e.jpg

http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/...ps14f3ab2e.jpg

Thanks for the information about fish stress and school size. They also look nicer in bigger groups.

Not sure if the photos will work. It seems like every time I go to post photos, I have to relearn how to do it.
    Those photos are Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, the Rosy Tetra. [I'm referring to the fish in the second single photo, and the fish in the photo that first appears in the first link. There are other fish in subsequent photos.]

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I meant for the pics to show up, not be links. Trying again.

These are not Pristella tetras like I thought.jpgWhat kind of tetras are these.jpg

Wow, for some reason, last time it didn't work from my computer, so I had to use photobucket. This time, Photobucket wouldn't work, but taking the file from my computer did. I don't think I'll ever figure out this internet stuff.

Since I got it working, I think I'll add some random photos of Iceberg, my blue pinoy angelfish and my pair of German Blue Rams. (While I was taking pictures, I got some nice extras.)

He doesn't normally look this blue. It is the angle of the photo.jpgIceberg, the Blue Pinoy, how he usually looks.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The male didn't show up.

Close up of male German Blue Ram.jpg

Wow, you're fast, Byron!

I'm surprised that they are Rosy Tetras, only because Meijer had a tag for those, and some fish to match the tag. But I told the guy catching them not to get the ones that looked like the tag, because I wanted the ones that looked different. Gee, so I thought I was buying the NOT rosy tetras. Go figure. Guess I can look up the info on them now. Thanks Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One more thing, it's funny that their bodies look pink in the photos. I think it must be a reflection of the light. Because when I just look at them, their bodies are a clear, silver color, not pink at all. The only red on them is in the fins.

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my profile on this species with info:
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/c...saceus-191073/

As I explain therein, there has been confusion over this and similar species, but Weitzman sorted it out. However, as frequently occurs in such situations, the incorrect names can stay with the fish for years in stores and suppliers.

One thing is certain, this species looks nothing like the Pristella. However, it may appear to be, as when under stress the colour can wash out to scarcely any of the pink/mauve at all. The other fish in the tank were likely in this condition, and once settled in your planted aquarium they coloured up.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is the photo I found when I was trying to I.D. the fish, which made me think it was a pristella: http://a-z-animals.com/animals/x-ray-tetra/

So you are saying that my fish will turn pink? I'm going to have to look at them more closely, because in real life, I didn't think they look like the photos I got. Well, I guess photos are just like that. The blue angelfish came out bluer in the photo, too.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
    This is the photo I found when I was trying to I.D. the fish, which made me think it was a pristella: http://a-z-animals.com/animals/x-ray-tetra/

So you are saying that my fish will turn pink? I'm going to have to look at them more closely, because in real life, I didn't think they look like the photos I got. Well, I guess photos are just like that. The blue angelfish came out bluer in the photo, too.
    The photo in this link is Pristella maxillaris, no doubt of that. The photos you posted are Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, no doubt of that. At least, that is the fish pictured in the photos.

If the two photos are the fish in your tank, I can't explain why they look pink in the photos but don't in your tank. But, there are some clear distinct markings between these two species that are apparent in the photos and should be on your fish in life. The dorsal fin has the black blotch in both, and a white outer tip; but only the Pristella has a yellow blotch at the base. Then take the anal fin, which has the yellow, black and white on Pristella, but no black or yellow on H. rosaceus. The ventral fin has black on Pristella, but white on H. rosaceus.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Because of the black shoulder patches I'm, going to diasagree with Byron and say the fish are Hyphessobrycon bentosi, the Ornate Tetra they are more common and often called "white tipped rosy's" by the big box stores.

The fish resemble each other so closly, the shoulder patch is sometimes the only way to tell them apart.
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-30-2013 at 12:39 AM.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep