· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Get silk if you can, they look real and don't seem to fade over time like plastic.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Here's one more interesting tetra you might consider: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50310824,d.cGE
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    Here's one more interesting tetra you might consider: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50310824,d.cGE
    Well, I checked out your link, Steeler, and the lemon tetras seemed like something I might like. I researched them a little more, and I was leaning towards them over the Von Rios, because of the yellow color, but I felt that the yellow was very subtle, and might not show up too well. Plus, I have never seen the lemons around here, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to get any.

But then, I was in Meijer last night, and they had a clearance tag on one of their fish, which caught my attention. It was for Green Fire Tetras, $1.89 each. They look more yellow than green, and I felt that with their red bellies and tails, they would actually be MORE colorful than lemons anyway, so I whipped out my handy dandy iPhone, that the kids talked me into replacing my old dumb phone with, and did some research right then and there. They sounded ideal for my setup, so I bought 14 of them!

But some of them have skinny bodies and some have fat round bodies, and look a little different, so now I think I might have gotten two different kinds of fish.
    I have some not so great photos I'm trying to add, but it's not working. I'll post this and keep trying.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here are the photos, via Photobucket:

Funny, in the store, both kinds looked like the exact same green color with red fins, even though the skinny ones had more red along their bellies. From what I red on the internet, I thought the fatter ones might have been the females. Now I'm not sure what the fat ones are.
    Last edited by Finnie; 08-19-2013 at 01:46 AM.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, so now I have just hijacked my own thread about Pristellas.

I ended up getting the Pristellas, and putting them in my other tank, because as I thought about them, I felt they would look better in there. The first couple of days I thought half of them were dead, because they hid so darn well. But today they have come out, and they are awesome!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The "fat ones" are Columbian tetras also called Red/Blue tetras: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...50768961,d.aWc, boy the things we have to put up with clerks! I've never had much luck with Green fire tetras: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=99731, but the Columian are one of the most hardy and attractive tetras you can buy. Pristellas are nice little fish, are they the gold or the regular ones?
    Last edited by steeler58; 08-19-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    -Vince Lombardi

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To be fair, it wasn't the clerk. Lol, this was at Meijer. He had to come over from hardware, and he told me he didn't know anything about the fish! But he was pretty good at catching them.

The way Meijer works is that if they don't have a tag for it, they can't sell it to you. So since these were in a tank that the only tag remotely like them was for the green fires, I asked the guy if he could just call them that and sell them to me at that price. Since I didn't know if the green fires were going to grow up to look like the bigger fish, or if the big ones were different, I made sure to get 5 of them, so they could have a mini school of their own.

The other Meijer around here sells the Red and Blue Columbian tetras, but for some reason, these didn't look like the same fish. Now that you say they are, I can see the similarity. They are pretty. What's funny is, I thought the red and blue Columbians at the other Meijer were ugly. Maybe these aren't red and blues but some other type of Columbian? They do seem to have an iridescent blueness to their dorsal area.

Maybe now I should start a thread called "Will Columbian Tetras Nip My Angel's Fins".

Oh, I got the normal Pristellas. When there are a lot together, they look like they have Mickey Mouse ears. :D
    Last edited by Finnie; 08-19-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Weird Keyboard thing happening!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I had too Google "Meijer", to find out what you were talking about, LOL.

I've never had Columbians bother anything in my tanks and I've kept them with fish as small as Green neons and Ember tetras, but watch them if you do plan on keeping them with an Angel, they may be tempted to nip the Angel, only going on what other people have said about them.
    -Vince Lombardi

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, sorry, I forget that Meijer isn't in all states, so some people might not be familiar with them. (For the people who didn't Google Meijer, it's basically the same as a Super Walmart, but they've been around a lot longer- since the seventies. They started out as Meijer Thrifty Acres, and it was a novel concept then, to have a big box grocery and department store in one building.)

When I looked up about Columbians, it said that they only nip if they are in schools of less than 6. (Yeah, where do they keep coming up with these magic numbers?) So anyway, I went to Petco and bought one of their Columbian Blue and Red tetras, and yes, my five at home match it exactly.

While I was at Petco, I discovered that my Pristella tetras are NOT Pristellas, but something else. (Petco had the real ones, and I bought 7 normals and one gold.) The "pristellas" I got from Meijer were another one that didn't have a tag. I only thought they were Pristellas because I did a google image search, and found photos for pristellas that seemed like the same fish. The real Pristella tetras do have black and white on their dorsal fins, but they do NOT look like they have Mickey Mouse ears. The closest I can find that looks like my faux pristellas is White Tip Tetra, but those have pink bodies. My fish have see-through silver bodies, which is another reason why I thought I had gotten the real "X ray" tetra.

When I can manage to get a decent photo of them, I'll have to post it, to get some input.

1 Not allowed!
    I may be able to ID the fish, if steeler doesn't beat me to it. But I'll wait for the photos. I came across some very similar fish in an article on new species I think, though I may have difficulty tracking it down now as it was a few months back.

But I did want to offer some info on the numbers for shoaling fish. Many of us have long recommended six minimum, while saying that more is better. A year or so ago, a scientific study (the first one on this topic) looked at numbers for several fish species, including a few characins (tetra), angelfish, and perhaps a couple others. They found that when the fish were in groups less than five, aggression was almost always increased. Mildly-aggressive fish like the angels displayed considerably more aggression, while normally peaceful tetra (I think the neon or black neon were included) actually became aggressive and began fin nipping each other and other fish.

It was concluded that these fish have evolved to be in large groups and this provides security. As the numbers lessen, the fish feel less secure, and at some point this turns to actual stress. The stress causes the aggression. My thinking, which is shared by many others, is that this is what we would feel as frustration, and even humans when frustrated are liable to display different behaviours. Fish have few options other than aggression, but another familiar response is the exact opposite. Some fish will become so stressed that they pale, refuse to feed, and weaken away.

In researching my article on stress I came across a comment from one ichthyologist who termed it the fight or flight response. Fish when stressed either fight it, or they try to flee from it. They don't have other options.

With respect to a couple species, such as the Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) or the Tiger Barb (Systomus tetrazona) which are naturally more aggressive, maintaining them in larger groups can curtail the fin nipping. Eight is often cited for these, but I am now seeing advice that 12 or more is a better risk. In mixed company, the larger numbers usually keep the nipping confined to the species itself, and also lessen the frequency. The tank space also plays into this.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-25-2013 at 07:38 PM.