· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Inherited a 29 gallon tank. (Failed my first tank, need advice now)

0 Not allowed!
    I've inherited a 29g tank today and I want to make sure I buy the right filter for it. I know for sure that I don't want to keep buying "inserts" to change out every month. Is an Aquaclear 50 HOB a good size for my tank? I've read that the Aquaclear is very popular, and that you can "put your own media" in there instead of the stock media. Also you can take out the stock foam and put in your own "sponges". What would I have to buy in order to replace all the stock stuff before I begin to cycle my tank? Any recommendations, instructions, links to DIY articles or the like would be very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Hope you guys can help me by giving me advice. I don't want to make the same mistake like my first tank. Here's what happened to it.
    I started my first 10g tank and tried to cycle it with ammonia. Long story short, I used the wrong ammonia to cycle and it was not pure, so I think that's why all my guppies died. Also i made the mistake of buying a Marina Slim 10g filter. The filter is so small to work with and it looks like I have to keep buying their insert replecements. I've since learned that you actually need to buy a size above your tank capacity. Right now that tank is cycling again on pure ammonia (after I washed everything out and started over). I'll probably put one betta in there and gift it to my brother.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also I plan to have a lot of live plants. I'm not familiar with CO2 injections and the such, but I know I want to get it in the future. I've read somewhere that CO2 injection does not work well with some filters, and some filters are not good for planted tanks. Is this filter ok for planted tank?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll have a go here.

Filters normally have a rating for tank size or flow rate, or both. For a 29 gal planted tank you want to be buying a filter that claims 60 gal. It is better to be over filtered than under filtered. I use an external that can handle 3 times the size of my tank.

The Aqua50 handles up to 50gal, so it would probably be fine for a 29 gal.

If you can afford an external, they are probably the best type to go for.

Almost all filters will come with stock media. There is nothing wrong with these per-sae, just read their instructions with a pinch of salt. If they start saying things like, "Change sponge every 3 months", ignore it. Ignore it if they say, "Add ammonia scruber pads" or add "Our filter booster". Generally you leave the media and/or sponges alone until they are falling apart with nothing more than a gentle rinse in tank water every month or so.

As long as you have some sponge and some bio-media like ceramic rings or balls, things will work okay. You will most likely get activated carbon pads or granules. You can leave these out. Keep them for when you need to clear meds or treatments from the water. They only last a few months and must be removed before then.

The important part is correctly cycling the filter before adding fish. Pure ammonia is required. Patience is required. Test kit is required. A daily routine is required. The tank holding 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites 24 hours after adding ammonia and for 3 days straight is required.

I haven't heard about different filters effecting CO2 injection. As a worst case, the filter could cause the CO2 levels to fall steadily over the day. Simple solution, add more CO2.

As to plants. Plants will be find with almost any filter as long as the output flow isn't strong enough to blow them about a lot.

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to all of the above.

When getting "pure ammonia" it's important to do the shake test - if it foams up in the bottle, put it back - it should shake like there's water in the bottle - have no additives - best to look for janitorial strength.

While I agree that the AC 50 would probably be fine for a 29gal, I would recommend going a step up and getting one rated for at least 60gal - filters are rated with no media in them, so once the media is in there, water flow is now restricted so it's not really handling 50gal.

Any carbon pad that come with a filter can be replaced by anything you choose to use - a small bag of bio media, a sponge cut to size, etc.

You might want to consider a cannister filter too - those have baskets which permit you to customize your media.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    If you are going with a solo filter for a 29g i would recommend the ac 70. Or an ac 50+30 would do you fine as well
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh thanks guys. Here's a more specific question about the Aquaclear filter. From the reviews I've seen, it comes with this rectangular styrofoam. I know that many users take it out and replace it with sponges. Are these the same yellow sponges that sits on my kitchen sink? Or are they more of the blue filter pad like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-B...rds=filter+pad

So far I've got the Aquaclear 70 in the shopping cart and a little piece of foam so I can make a prefilter for the intake.

Also I should not use carbon when I cycle my tank. Is that correct?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    With ac filters, i keep the sponge they give you, dont use the carbon and double up on the biomax. I know some people here double up on the sponge. Either way, keep the carbon incase you need some chem filteration.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ttttrigg3r View Post
    I started my first 10g tank and tried to cycle it with ammonia. Long story short, I used the wrong ammonia to cycle and it was not pure, so I think that's why all my guppies died.
    Did y0u add amm0nia t0 a tank that had fish in it? That w0uld kill them despite what was in the amm0nia. A cycled tank will have zer0 amm, zer0 nitrites and then w0uld be ready f0r fish after a water change t0 reduce the resultant nitrates.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my aquaclear filters I use the sponge it comes with, the biomax that comes with, and filled a media bag with more bii media. As for a prefilter sponge, an aquaclear 30 sponge with a hole cut in it works well.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    Did y0u add amm0nia t0 a tank that had fish in it? That w0uld kill them despite what was in the amm0nia. A cycled tank will have zer0 amm, zer0 nitrites and then w0uld be ready f0r fish after a water change t0 reduce the resultant nitrates.
    No I didn't do that. When I added fish, Ammonia and nitrite was zero and nitrate was about 20. This was only 5 days in and I cut the ammonia and added the guppy. Right now I have washed that tank and filter and everything and started again. (this is the 10 gallon) My ammonia is 0 and I feed it 5 drops a day. The next day it's zero. However Nitrite is maxed out (super purple) and it won't go down. I'm 6 days in.