· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    The one good thing about saltwater - cycling is generally very fast!
    I never even saw ammonia in mine...it cycled in a couple days. My rock was packaged really well for transport, so hardly any die off occurred.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You can get nitrate leaching out from your live rock if it was exposed to higher levels of nitrates for a longer period of time before you out it in your tank. But none the less, looks you your cycle is moving along nicely and you will most likely be done in no time.

I would guess the brown algae is likely diatoms.

Looks like good progress
    Thanks guys! I actually added a turbo snail and emerald crab to do some cleanup on this algae yesterday.

I did another test today and everything came out the same came out the same except nitrates were down to 5 PPM from 10

No other updates other than that, water is crystal clear... sand bed does not have a single spot of algae on it which is weird considering alage is growing on most of my live rock.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looking good!

As far as stocking goes, if you wanted one interesting fish you could go with a white banded possum wrasse. That's what was gonna go in my 10 gallon till I decided to just let it sit with the clean up crew, till I decided to downsize.
    50g African Cichlid Tank ♦ 30g Planted Community Tank ♦ 2g Pico Reef ♦ 45g Hex Goldfish Tank ♦ 10g Planted Betta Tank ♦ 55g Oscar & JD Tank ♦ 40g JD Juveniles Tank

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Looking good!

As far as stocking goes, if you wanted one interesting fish you could go with a white banded possum wrasse. That's what was gonna go in my 10 gallon till I decided to just let it sit with the clean up crew, till I decided to downsize.
    Thanks! Hmm you think I'd have problems with those jumping? I think Im actually leaning towards a clown and royal gramma.

Anyway here's an update.
    Tested waters again and to my surprise, Nitrites were 0 and so was ammonia... nitrates were still at 5. Decided I'd make a move and add some more to my tank.

Went and picked up a cleaner shrimp, one blue legged hermit, and one red legged hermit, but my temptation took over like always... so I ended up getting a feather duster and saw some "waving hands xenia" frags for $25 so after talking with the guy for a while he gave me two frags for the price of one! So I did a 10% water change and added the live stock. Told myself I have to slow down, so gonna wait another month before adding my first fish.

Also picked up and added iodine, strontium, Molybdenum, trace elements, and Liquid Calcium

Here are some pics:

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good, and good call taking it slow from here on in

What type of salt are you using and what is your salinity at right now ? I'm a little shocked to hear that you had to dose calcium right after setting up the tank adding corals. What is your current calcium level at right now ?

Also, I would not suggest either the clown fish or royal gramma for a 10 gallon tank. Instead, I would suggest some of the smaller gobies as a better option for your tank. Maybe even a small school of neon blue gobys (Elacatinus oceanops) or clown gobies (Gobiodon okinawae).
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good, and good call taking it slow from here on in

What type of salt are you using and what is your salinity at right now ? I'm a little shocked to hear that you had to dose calcium right after setting up the tank adding corals. What is your current calcium level at right now ?

Also, I would not suggest either the clown fish or royal gramma for a 10 gallon tank. Instead, I would suggest some of the smaller gobies as a better option for your tank. Maybe even a small school of neon blue gobys (Elacatinus oceanops) or clown gobies (Gobiodon okinawae).
    Thanks! Yeah I need to take it slow for the sake of the tanks health and my wallets health
    As for the calcium, it's always been a habit/practice for me to add it right away. Maybe this is wrong? I'll check my calcium and report back.

Well, I'll look into the neon blue gobys... how many do you think would be ok? How's a school of 3? Either way I have at the least a whole month to think about what sort of fish I want to keep

0 Not allowed!
    It would be very important to test for the elements that you dose, especially calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. When those three elements are within the safe zone, stable, and balanced, your pH will be a lot more stable which is a very good thing. When those elements are way out of balance, you will most likely run into problems. In very extreme cases, even a tank crash. In low demanding tanks you can typically replace all the consumed elements with a slightly larger water change and keep all of your parameters nice and stable even without dosing. You can use your test results to tell you when and how much to dose. That would be a lot safer approach IMO.

I think you could safely do three of those gobies in a 10 gallon. You might be able to add one or two more, but I'm not 100% positive about that. Maybe look into a little more and see. I have never kept marine tank that small so I'm not completely sure here.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    You will need a lid with the small neon gobies - I had a school of five in my tank, and they played chase so much they chased each other right out of the tank. I lost two very fast, then one at a time til I had only one left. I ended up keeping that one til my heater malfunction. they are great little fish tho. Depending on how much coral you are going to get - which depends on your lighting - you might even be able to do as many as five as Clint indicated.

A good rule of thumb to follow in reef keeping - don't dose what you don't test for first. With corals, your water quality is more of an issue - fish can tolerate a wider range of conditions, but corals not so much - and you want to keep things as stable as you can. Too much of any given element can do more harm than good. With your current stocking, and with such a new tank, you shouldn't have to dose anything in that size tank given regular water changes for a while yet.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It would be very important to test for the elements that you dose, especially calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. When those three elements are within the safe zone, stable, and balanced, your pH will be a lot more stable which is a very good thing. When those elements are way out of balance, you will most likely run into problems. In very extreme cases, even a tank crash. In low demanding tanks you can typically replace all the consumed elements with a slightly larger water change and keep all of your parameters nice and stable even without dosing. You can use your test results to tell you when and how much to dose. That would be a lot safer approach IMO.

I think you could safely do three of those gobies in a 10 gallon. You might be able to add one or two more, but I'm not 100% positive about that. Maybe look into a little more and see. I have never kept marine tank that small so I'm not completely sure here.

Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    You will need a lid with the small neon gobies - I had a school of five in my tank, and they played chase so much they chased each other right out of the tank. I lost two very fast, then one at a time til I had only one left. I ended up keeping that one til my heater malfunction. they are great little fish tho. Depending on how much coral you are going to get - which depends on your lighting - you might even be able to do as many as five as Clint indicated.

A good rule of thumb to follow in reef keeping - don't dose what you don't test for first. With corals, your water quality is more of an issue - fish can tolerate a wider range of conditions, but corals not so much - and you want to keep things as stable as you can. Too much of any given element can do more harm than good. With your current stocking, and with such a new tank, you shouldn't have to dose anything in that size tank given regular water changes for a while yet.

Thanks for the advice, I'll order a few testers to see if I even have a need to supplement calcium, magnesium etc... I can see how there's really no point in adding any at the moment since I don't have anything that demands it and uses a large quantity of lets say calcium.

As for the gobies I did some research and saw some people keeping anywhere between 3 and 5 safely in a 10 gallon, but only time will tell what I go with. I may get a single Pygmy possum wrasse.. those are really growing on me.

TANK UPDATE: So after all this stocking I did a water test today, Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 PH: 8.1 Nitrate 5PPM
    Not bad for a week long cycle. Another good sign is about 25% of the brown algae/diatoms have deteriorated by itself already.
    I also decided I need more lighting but wasn't ready to drop so much cash for intense lighting on a nano so I added one of those submersible Marineland LED bulbs that attach to the rim of the tank. I'll post some pics below.

I also ordered a Koralia Nano circulation pump to replace or even use in conjunction with the Max-jet 400 I'm currently using.

Anyway here are some pics!

9. Default

0 Not allowed!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking set-up Steemax. Keeping a journal going with pictures is a very good tool over time IMO. You can look back at these in a year or so and see how the tank has progressed. Keep it up.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.