· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    you could have a little school of neon gobys...ah but they are jumpers too...well, if you got an eggcrate lid for your tank you wouldn't have to worry about jumpers as much...and there are sexy shrimp or peppermint shrimp that are small so you could get small groups of either one of them...not like the cleaner/skunks they get pretty big and are horrible pests/pigs for food.
    True true, time will tell though since I'm not quite positive on what fish I want... What do you guys think of one Banggai Cardinal and one Clown?

Anyway here are some updates:
    -Replaced the generic Petco branded powerhead with a Marineland Maxi-jet 400 for more flow.
    -Decided I want a protein skimmer just from old habit so I ordered a HOB Red Sea prism Deluxe model skimmer... I loved the intake design on this skimmer.

Still no live stock... I'll do my first ammonia test tomorrow to see where things are headed.
    Here's how the tank looks now... it's cleared up quite a bit.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    tank looks good.

Good luck with that skimmer, I'm not sure if I should say or not, but my first skimmer was a Red Sea Prism, and I hated the thing. Very noisy. Hopefully yours is a better model (I don't think mine was deluxe) and you won't have that problem.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    tank looks good.

Good luck with that skimmer, I'm not sure if I should say or not, but my first skimmer was a Red Sea Prism, and I hated the thing. Very noisy. Hopefully yours is a better model (I don't think mine was deluxe) and you won't have that problem.
    Don't scare me like that lol! I got a great deal, the deluxe for $66 shipped, everywhere else it's $100+ and the reviews where not bad at all

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    ahhh, sorry!
    its a lovely looking unit!
    (that better?)

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ahhh, sorry!
    its a lovely looking unit!
    (that better?)
    Haha much better, no but really, is it that bad? I wanted to avoid an in-tank unit at all costs.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    well, mine was...but it was many moons ago and like I said, a different model. I'm sure they've improved it since my experience with it.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks great! Can't wait to see it progress :).
    Don't poke the crazy

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, mine was...but it was many moons ago and like I said, a different model. I'm sure they've improved it since my experience with it.
    Lets hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Sarah View Post
    Looks great! Can't wait to see it progress :).
    Thanks! I'll try updating this thread often!

So here are some updates... Day 4: Woke up to a load of brown algae on my LR

So I thought it's about time I do my first water test and here are the results... not sure what to make of it really.

Salinity: 1.024
    PH: 8.0
    Ammonia: 0.25 PPM
    Nitrite: 0.15 PPM (the color was in between 0.25 and 0 ppm so I figure 0.15)
    Nitrate: 10 PPM

Sort of weird that the Nitrate is that high already unless the cycle is moving at warp speed which I would only be able to tell in a few days if ammonia hits 0 and nitrite bottoms out along with it.

Any thoughts? Also this is the API Saltwater Master Test Kit I used.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The one good thing about saltwater - cycling is generally very fast!
    I never even saw ammonia in mine...it cycled in a couple days. My rock was packaged really well for transport, so hardly any die off occurred.

0 Not allowed!
    You can get nitrate leaching out from your live rock if it was exposed to higher levels of nitrates for a longer period of time before you out it in your tank. But none the less, looks you your cycle is moving along nicely and you will most likely be done in no time.

I would guess the brown algae is likely diatoms.

Looks like good progress
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]