· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Can I add a Betta to a community tank?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon tank with the following fish:
    8- neon tetras
    4-albino cats
    3-red platys
    2-white skirt tetras
    2- Black mollies

Would I be able to add a male Betta without causing issues ? what about a male & female Betta?

thanks for the help

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    No to a male and female betta together. One would kill the other. They are only together when breeding.

The white skirt tetras are schooling fish - one profile says at least 3 but you'd always be better with 6 or more. they can be nippy and would put a betta with long flowing fins at risk.
    So - basically, with your current stock,unless you have a 5 or 10 gallon handy to move the betta into if fin nipping does become a problem, I'd say no to the betta. Sorry

I'd up the school of white skirts and double or triple the neons - this would make a very pretty tank with lots of color and movement. Your albino cory should also have at least 2 or 4 more as they enjoy larger schools
    Last edited by fishmommie; 07-27-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't hesitate to put a male OR female betta in a community tank. I've always had ones in my community tanks for the past few years. The bettas are usually the most personable ones, imo. They'll be the first one wanting the food when I come to feed them, try to swim in the cup I use to do small water changes, and swim into the current when I pour in new water.
    50g African Cichlid Tank ♦ 30g Planted Community Tank ♦ 2g Pico Reef ♦ 45g Hex Goldfish Tank ♦ 10g Planted Betta Tank ♦ 55g Oscar & JD Tank ♦ 40g JD Juveniles Tank

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to put a male OR female betta in a community tank. I've always had ones in my community tanks for the past few years. The bettas are usually the most personable ones, imo. They'll be the first one wanting the food when I come to feed them, try to swim in the cup I use to do small water changes, and swim into the current when I pour in new water.
    I've had bettas in my community tanks too and loved them there. So I agree with you. It absolutely can be done. But I wouldn't have them with the white skirt tetras the OP currently has in his tank. They are known nippers and it's a very good bet they'd go after his or her fins. :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Really depends on the personality of the betta. Some bettas will not tolerate other fish in the tank, others will have no problem. You can put in a single male betta, with no other betta in the tank. Also you'll want to avoid other fish that have similar body types of a betta, if the male betta thinks the other fish is also a betta, it will attack.

By the way check out http://www.atlantaaquarium.com/forum/ it's a local fish club that meets every month. Next meeting is next weekend at fernbank museum in atlanta. Free to attend, guest speaker and a small auction afterwards. Also the fall auction is in September, it lasts a whole day, fish, plants, equipment, other stuff, at least 1k items.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the tip on the Atlanta aquarium. I am looking for a deal on a 125 gallon tank, do you think I could find one at the auction ?

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommie is on the right track. Most sources will now say that Betta are not community fish, and in general this is wise advice. While it can work, it also may not, and the latter is more common. It is a two-way street. The Betta can decide certain other fish are not welcome; I had a male that readily ate neons. But the reverse is equally troublesome. Even otherwise peaceful fish can become fin nippers when placed in an environment with a Betta, which is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Characins (tetra) have lots of teeth, and they enjoy using them. Even neons have been known to nip mercilessly at long-fin fish. And the "skirt" species, Gymnocorymbus ternetzi, is a well-known nipper. The size of the shoals has something to do with it, but there is still the risk. When one has several tanks running, it is more easy to re-home a problem, but if this is your only tank, or you have no other, I would not risk it.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-03-2013 at 12:59 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2life View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Atlanta aquarium. I am looking for a deal on a 125 gallon tank, do you think I could find one at the auction ?
    Usually large tanks people sell via the club forum. Tanks in the spring/fall auctions, tend to be smaller ones but really hard to predict, basically anything and everything can show up at the auctions. Worth attending just to get a chance to see and bid on fish you would rarely or never see in a fish store. A lot of common fish in the auction as well, prices tend to be less than retail unless it's something rare.

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with all the advice given. Betta can be community fish, but unless you are prepared to immediately house it elsewhere, sometimes within minutes of introduction to a tank, you will be in for disaster. You simply can't know the temperament of a Betta until its already there, and by then, often its too late.

Some people just by placing one in on happenstance luck out, however, Betta community tanks, and Female Betta sororities are best left to those of extreme advanced knowledge of the species, and those with enough holding tanks to be certain there is an immediate remedy at hand if something goes awry.

The other oft forgotten issue with placing a Betta in a community tank is its specific needs are generally not addressed in a tank with other fish. Higher temperatures are required, and in general feeding problems often occur, with either the Betta eating too much when the other fish are fed, (Betta are floating piggies who will eventually come to love the other occupants food) which can lead to fatty liver disease and premature death. The other side is the Betta just not getting enough as schooling fish swoop in and take it all.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.