· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Where is my White Cloud Mountain Minnow?

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a few fish the other day, and haven't seen the White Cloud Mountain Minnow since! It's been over 48 hours! Not even a glimpse of him, even when feeding. I only got one, as that is all they had left. They are getting more in next week, so I'll get a couple more. Is it normal for these fish to hide at first? Or is it just because he is alone? (I have other fish in the tank--over 20). It's a 55 gallon tank, and I'd like to see my new fish! I never even got a picture of him. Anyone else had this happen?

Awards Showcase

Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 All that painting makes a guy hungry - Slaphppy7 Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson 
    Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 
    Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know anything about your setup and I am a beginner, but I did research the white cloud mountain minnows quite well when looking at stocking options for my tank so here are my thoughts:

Assuming nothing has happened to the minnow, the quick answer is that white clouds are a shoaling fish ideally kept in groups of 6 or more. A lone minnow in a tank would definitely be shy or stressed and tend to hide all the time. So, yes, it is quite likely he is hiding somewhere. Also, while these fish are very forgiving of water conditions, they do prefer colder water. If you put them in a tropical tank they may become less active than usual. Combine that with the shyness or stress of being alone, and you may have a fish that never comes out!

Now for the bad part...If you checked your takn thoroughly and really cannot find him anywhere, maybe something happened to the minnow. I hope I am wrong and the minnow is just hiding somewhere, but I seem to recall that minnows can jump out of a tank when stressed. Do you have a lid? Also, did you check inside you filter?

Finally, what other fish do you have in the tank?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if we knew whats in your tank we could help play CSI and let you know what most likely happened

0 Not allowed!
    So sorry--forgot all about this thread! Never did find the little guy, but went back for one more try, and got three. They are out almost all the time, hardly ever hide, and are very active. The higher water temp. doesn't seem to affect them at all. I have 1 female betta, 2 balloon mollies, 2 platies, 7 various Rainbowfish, a Giant Danio and a spotted cory in that tank. All get along great! Thank you for trying to help me--I appreciate it.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    this is weird because I had 4 and slowly but surely one by one they were missing, until just the one now. this was in a small set up too.....nowhere!!! i even broke the tank down the other day and moved it and found no remains nothing!!!! i am starting to look at my cats as the culprits...? it seems not likely though. they have a betta bowl that they openly drink out of and never bother him. the flufal spec V has a lid too (thats where the white clouds were) very strange.

0 Not allowed!
    If a fish dies then tankmates will dispose of the body.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit2014 View Post
    this is weird because I had 4 and slowly but surely one by one they were missing, until just the one now. this was in a small set up too.....nowhere!!! i even broke the tank down the other day and moved it and found no remains nothing!!!! i am starting to look at my cats as the culprits...? it seems not likely though. they have a betta bowl that they openly drink out of and never bother him. the flufal spec V has a lid too (thats where the white clouds were) very strange.
    Aha. One of my white clouds jumped out of the hole in the lid of my spec V just today. I betcha that's what happened