· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Zebra Loaches swimming upside down.

0 Not allowed!
    I have had 2 Zebra loaches for about 2 months and they behaved normally. a few weeks ago my fiancee brought home some cories and an upside down catfish. I knew something was up when I saw her put the extra airstone/pump in here purse. She has "recued" fish in the past from coworkers.

Well my zebra loaches swim upside down with the UDC. I thought I was seeing things at first but I was just wondering is anyone has heard or seen this kind of thing.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Could you perhaps get pictures?? That's very odd behavior indeed.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I'll try to get some I may have to re-position some stuff so I can get a good shot

Awards Showcase

Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus 
    Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady 
    the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 
    Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen Clown loach's do the same thing.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My Dojo loach will sometimes do a twirl over in the water while swimming. Kind of like a dolphin spin. If you see him actually just floating upside down that's all bad. That means digestive problems and gasses building up in the stomach. If it doesn't look like hes doing this thing off and on during healthy normal swimming you may need to feed him something to clear out his digestive. I have heard frozen peas cooked and cooled. Squeeze the pea center out of the skin into the tank and don't give the skin. I have never tried it. It is said to be a laxative and make him poop and thereby freeing up the gasses to be released from stomach.
    Active Learning Consists of Engaging With Educated People, Being O.K. With Being Incorrect, Engaging in Conversation No Matter What Your Experience Level, Accepting Positive Criticisms, Offering Your Best Information, And Maintaining A Healthy Attitude. If you Are Not Speaking You Are Only Learning At Half Mast. No One Can Give Feedback On Your Thoughts, Only On Your Words And Actions.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Could be they're just imitating the UDC... Loaches are intelligent, and I've often watched the ones at my LFS imitating other things, including one trying to puff up like the male betta one tank over and two of them attempting to cling to the glass like plecos.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If this is just the only thing abnormal about the zebras, they should be fine. For example, if they are all eating like they usually do, and they aren't always swimming like this, it could just be something they have imitated from the UDC.

My estimate is that since you don't have a large enough school of Zebra Loaches, they decided to swim with the UDC. Zebra Loaches should have a school of at least 5, but if they are getting along with the UDC and swimming with it, I must say, that's very interesting.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loller View Post
    If this is just the only thing abnormal about the zebras, they should be fine. For example, if they are all eating like they usually do, and they aren't always swimming like this, it could just be something they have imitated from the UDC.

My estimate is that since you don't have a large enough school of Zebra Loaches, they decided to swim with the UDC. Zebra Loaches should have a school of at least 5, but if they are getting along with the UDC and swimming with it, I must say, that's very interesting.

Yeah they hang with the UDC all the time and now he/she swims right side up part of the time. Every time I grab a camera they swim right lol. I have been waiting on the store to get more zebras in but they are currently back ordered. They eat good they play I'm sure they are fine but it just struck me odd that they were doing it.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm curious as to how large your tank is, demension wise. Zebra loaches are deserving of around a 48 long by 12 inch wide tank. Their maximum size is around 4 inches, and most botia loaches deserve a tank with a length at least 10 times their maximum length. When/if they do start to get violent, that will be a hint that they need their own kind to play with. I would purchase 2 or 3 more as soon as possible.

If it is 36 inches long, that is ok, but you should base the whole tank around them if they are to be kept in something of that size.

Good luck with your tank!