· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Upside-Down Catfish

0 Not allowed!
    I'm confused, I've read some articles that suggest upside-down catfish need to be kept in a school as other articles I've read say you can keep them alone. Has anyone had experience with these and is it OK to keep them alone in a community of blackshirt tetras and platy's?
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think its just more of the matter of the fish's happiness. I have kept single udc in the past and they lived a long life. I currently have one now...another brought home from someone at work from my fiancee. He has been in my tank for about 2 weeks and schools with my zebra loaches. The loaches even hang out upside down with it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What I've read is that in smaller numbers, they can tend toward hiding and shyness. If yours isn't hiding and being shy, then your good. If it is, think about adding more.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. Decided not to purchase the catfish afterall.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

1 Not allowed!
    Thing is, most species of Synodontis are commonly called upside-down catfish. Only a few commonly available smaller species like nigriventris and petricola/lucipinnis are actually social fish, while most of the larger ones like eupterus or angelicus are more territorial and best kept singly.
    If you're looking for catfish for the 25 in your signature I'd recommend a group of dwarf or pygmy Corydoras.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Check out sterbai corys imo the best looking cory you can get, and you could keep a school of at least 6-10 in a 25g np.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.