· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Moving up to CRS

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone, in April I decided to set up a red cherry tank and its gone well even with a couple of set backs, I went from 20 shrimps to 150-200 and even managed to make a little money selling them. Recently I decided to take the next step and set up a crystal red tank.
    I went for a 60litre tank with a three stage filter and added my own diy sponge filter for extra filtration. Theres plently of moss and plants and a nice piece of bogwood. I decided to go for an substrate which doesnt effect the water so I can have better control of water parameters and I found that the active substrate in my red cherry tank was quite messy when moving stuff around.
    From what I understand the water ph needs to be slightly acidic and soft for crs. Unfortunately my tap water is around 7.2ph and slightly hard and even though its not that far off, I want to have as close to perfect conditions as possible, so is there a way to bring to bring these levels down without the use of a substrate that would effect the water?

Im allowing two months to fully cycle the tank and get the conditions right so even long term solutions wouldnt be a problem.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Another issue i have is due to the recent hot weather the tank is reading 28c which is too high for crystal reds with information on AC saying maximum is 26c. The tank is not in direct sunlight and near no heat sources and i have tried bottles of ice but it only decreases the temperature temporarily by 1 or 2 degrees. I do not have the budget for an aquarium chiller so would a fan be sufficient and lower the temperature by at least a constant 2 degrees?