· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What i meant by to big is that they grow to about 2-3" and at that size im limited at a low number for a schooling fish. In my opinion the cruelest thing you can do to a schooling fish is to have just 6-10 of them also it looks so much smoother and cooler to have 1 schooling specie and at a number of 15 or more. a local fish keeper here have a tank about 300 gallons with around 900 kardinals and a pair of apisto vejita cichlids.

I know that not every barb gets 4" but some do but they are normaly around 2-3" and i look for a schooling fish at around 1" so i can keep a larger amount of them.

If we throw out a number here on a stock list,
    1 beta
    3 khuli loaches
    7 barbs

That is what i would stock this with if i would go with barbs but then all barbs get to about the same size as the beta then he no longer is the centerpiece in the tank.
    Thats why barbs are a no go.

If i would stock with a good amount of barbs and a good centerpiece it would be something like this
    1 gold gurami
    15 barbs
    6 khuli loaches
    This stock needs a bigger tank then my 29 gallon more around a 75g+

But i appriciate the tips on barbs. as i know pretty much nothing about Asian fish i appriciate all the tips you are giving me and as soon as i see a new fish i do some quick research to see if it fits me :D

But from the tips i have gotten here it will probably be beta some rasbora and the khuli loaches now ill just have to see if i can get any rasboras i like and do some research on how many of the loaches and rasboras i can get.

Thanks to all of you.

0 Not allowed!
    Barbs can be very nippy from what I understand and would rip the poor betta's fins to shreds. Rasboras are definitely a better choice. Khuli's are great little guys but be aware that you will likely almost never see them. We had a bunch in our 100g and we thought they were all dead at one point because we hadn't seen them in a very long time. One day we were cleaning and moved a rock and there they all were curled up, happy and healthy.
    Don't poke the crazy

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailroth View Post
    What i meant by to big is that they grow to about 2-3" and at that size im limited at a low number for a schooling fish. In my opinion the cruelest thing you can do to a schooling fish is to have just 6-10 of them also it looks so much smoother and cooler to have 1 schooling specie and at a number of 15 or more. a local fish keeper here have a tank about 300 gallons with around 900 kardinals and a pair of apisto vejita cichlids.

I know that not every barb gets 4" but some do but they are normaly around 2-3" and i look for a schooling fish at around 1" so i can keep a larger amount of them.

If we throw out a number here on a stock list,
    1 beta
    3 khuli loaches
    7 barbs

That is what i would stock this with if i would go with barbs but then all barbs get to about the same size as the beta then he no longer is the centerpiece in the tank.
    Thats why barbs are a no go.

If i would stock with a good amount of barbs and a good centerpiece it would be something like this
    1 gold gurami
    15 barbs
    6 khuli loaches
    This stock needs a bigger tank then my 29 gallon more around a 75g+

But i appriciate the tips on barbs. as i know pretty much nothing about Asian fish i appriciate all the tips you are giving me and as soon as i see a new fish i do some quick research to see if it fits me :D

But from the tips i have gotten here it will probably be beta some rasbora and the khuli loaches now ill just have to see if i can get any rasboras i like and do some research on how many of the loaches and rasboras i can get.

Thanks to all of you.
    Always welcome, I can see your point now with the size of the fish being too large. Going forward though the only barbs I have seen real aggression from are tiger barbs. Cherry barbs really don't do much in the way of harassing or fin nipping, and gold barbs are only slightly more nippy (they also love snails I found out). None even compare to the tiger barb, however.

+1 to all the barb people lol, and +1 to you, nailroth, for the thread!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are you sarcastic with the +1 to me?

I know i think alot diffrent then other fish keepers by not likeing the atleast 6 rule of schooler fish.
    The reason i think it should be 15 or more is that 90% of all schooling fish don't get larger then 1" and i love large fish my dream aquarium is going to be a large maybe 340 gallon+ but thats long way into the future.
    going to house oscar severums and other SA/CA cichlids around the same size of these 2 :D

Small numbers of schooling fish are fish that grow to around 6"+ unless a large aquarium
    but with fish around 1" you need a lot of them to make a dent into the tank.

I'm sorry if you weren't sarcastic im not very good at knowing if it's sarcastic or not.

0 Not allowed!
    Just going back to the barbs - cherry barbs will not harass any other fish (other than males occasionally chasing females) and are certainly not fin nippers. They are very shy and do not really school, unless stressed. I have a group of 28 in my tank and they are lovely, peaceful fish.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nailroth View Post
    are you sarcastic with the +1 to me?

I know i think alot diffrent then other fish keepers by not likeing the atleast 6 rule of schooler fish.
    The reason i think it should be 15 or more is that 90% of all schooling fish don't get larger then 1" and i love large fish my dream aquarium is going to be a large maybe 340 gallon+ but thats long way into the future.
    going to house oscar severums and other SA/CA cichlids around the same size of these 2 :D

Small numbers of schooling fish are fish that grow to around 6"+ unless a large aquarium
    but with fish around 1" you need a lot of them to make a dent into the tank.

I'm sorry if you weren't sarcastic im not very good at knowing if it's sarcastic or not.
    No, I was excited because I had the chance to participate in the discussion you created. No worries.