· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denison Barbs?

1. Default Denison Barbs?

0 Not allowed!
    Are Denison Barbs ok for my tank(55g planted & unstocked)? just like 3-4? I don't buy my fish at Petsmart, (I got to Dallas North Aquarium) but the other day I was getting my new bulbs there and noticed they had small Denison Barbs for $7.99! The ones at DNA are $49.99 but a little bigger. At this price I was tempted to buy the three they had left! They also have a 14 day return policy!! Thats great compared to my 48 hr policy at DNA. Any concerns about buying these fish?
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

0 Not allowed!
    i don't believe you really could fit them, they are a schooler that need 6-8 of them. Plus they do get quite large... i think I'll eventually have them in my 125 that I'm planning

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    beautiful fish and GREAT price. I can see the temptati0n. They like a decent current in the tank, which usually means high 0xygen, if y0u aren't g0ing t0 have high fl0w I w0uld suggest setting up a means t0 pr0vide al0t 0f surface agitati0n. A canister filter with the return turned sideways might help help with a small current f0r them t0 enj0y.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well I have two HOB filters on there now that have pretty good surface agitation. I also have an old Flow thingy from when I got that 20g 15 years ago :P. It still works too! But does High flow and surface agitation counter my co2 for my plants? If so, how do you have happy barbs with flow in a planted tank? I know they get quite large but I would either trade them in at the LFS or just buy a 190g :P
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    A 55gal is not appropriate really for these fish. I would buy the 210 gal tank or so and then stock them. Buying and rehoming is an excersize in futility and risks stunting.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK :( Wouldn't you know it. I finally get a bigger tank...and then fall in love with a fish that needs a bigger one!
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I could understand your frustration, but the suggestions given here by the other members should be noted. There is a variant of the denison barb that doesn't cross 3 inches but it isn't the one that you will find available in the aquarium trade. 6-8 is a good school but I would go bigger if you have the adequate space and I highly suggest at least a 6 foot tank with strong water column movement. Ex: plenty air and a 6-10 turnover ratio.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus 
    Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 
    for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Its the reason we all say get the biggest tank you can! you will want it! lol. Welcome to beggining stages of MTS.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I wish I came on this forum before I started my 150 man, I think you guys might have convinced me to get at least a 400G lol

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Haha. I know. Nothing is every big enough! And there is ALWAYS something else I want/need to buy. She tried to tell me that these barbs where different than the endangered ones because the red was just on their face and not down their side as well. I dunno but I will just stay away from them until I get a bigger tank. It will happen eventually
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank