· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    You forgot a heater

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by isaactifist View Post
    Also, once you've resolved this first dilemma, i would highly recommend a heater. Heaters will keep a stable temperature in your tank, so if the temperature is varying throughout the day/night, the tank isn't fluctuating too much. Varying temperatures distresses fish immensely and in a smaller tank, it is much more likely to do so, therefore increasing the need for a heater.
    Heater already mentioned LOL

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, so you did. Apologies, couldn't stomach the whole "I shoehorned a load of fish in a 2.5 gallon" thread.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by isaactifist View Post
    No products instantly cycles a tank
    I totally disagree, as I successfully cycled my 75 gallon in 2 weeks with Tetra Safestart. The only problem is that the ammonia levels can get as high as 1.0 ppm and that is why I would not do it again. And you do no water changes for 2 weeks if you cycle with Safestart. Not familiar with the Nutrafin product.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 07-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Ms. Namazu   starting the round off - Hardy85   The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7   I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz   fishies - Hardy85   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    And that's based on? Experimentation? Your own experiences? Something you heard in the pub?

I've used safestart to revive a crashed tank only using a single shrimp in the process. I know of several experiments where safestart cut down on cycling times by as much as 95%.
    I'm n0 expert, but fr0m what I have read- these pr0ducts d0 indeed lend a hand in kick starting a cycle, it isn't intended be a an "instant cycle, just add water" kind 0f deal. Y0u can add fish right away and it will limit losses t0 an extent- but fr0m what I gather, these products bind up the t0xic stuff like amm0nia and nitrites in a way that makes them tolerable. While it will drastically reduce cycling time it may n0t be the ultimate idea f0r a "n0 need t0 cycle" envir0nment.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    You are getting great advice form people infinitely more knowledgeable than me, I jut wanted to chime in on one important detail:

Quote Originally Posted by MelandScott View Post
    i saw a product called "ammonite" in the pet store... it's supposed to have the same effect as cycling if i understood correctly - would this be any good to my fish?
    Before you use this, read the ingredients. Some products, as already mentioned, can be used to accelerate the cycling even with fish already in the tank. They mainly contain bacteria to help you 'seed' the tank with the bacteria you are trying to grow. However, they also do sell bottles of ammonia in various forms to help cycle a tank WITH NO FISH. You add the ammonia to start cycling the tank without having to add fish. You should not add ammonia to a tank with fish. The name of the product you mentioned, "ammonite", sounds to me like it could be some type of ammonia or variant (such as ammonium chloride) that you should NOT add to a tank with fish. So, make sure you read the ingredients before you use it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Ms. Namazu   starting the round off - Hardy85   The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7   I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz   fishies - Hardy85   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    one important detail:
    Before you use this, read the ingredients.(such as ammonium chloride) that you should NOT add to a tank with fish. So, make sure you read the ingredients before you use it.
    G00d call, n0t adding Amm0nia with fish.
    I'm n0 chemist but I w0uld think Amm0nium CHL0RIDE w0uld be a deadly c0mp0und t0 anything, never mix amm0nia and chl0rine- p0is0n gas resultant- did y0u mean Amm0nium Hydr0xide?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    never mind, l00ked it up- they use amm0nium chl0ride t0 help flav0r lic0rice- 00ps, like I said- I'm n0 chemist, L0L.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the support and encouragment! - DebinWhitmore   Celebrate your new fishies - DebinWhitmore   Happy Birthday, 50 is a big one! - DebinWhitmore   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure what I meant... LOL.. actually I was going by this product:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=24530

in any case, if there is any variant of ammonia in there, don't use it with fish!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Right 0n, I am glad that I l00ked ammonium chloride and called myself 0ut 0n it- saved me fr0m a completely embarrassing moment, and a horrible death by the deadly T0ngue Fu fr0m 0thers, L0L. What a meathead I am at times.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast