· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    My local Petco will house fish while you have issues with your tank maybe you can ask a store near you? This may not be common behavior for all Petcos. My local on has a member of the PA Fish something as a manager so that maybe why.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So... no return of fish :(
    The earliest we can get a decent sized tank (15g min but I'd go with 20 as advised) is Sat.
    One adult guppy died today - :( I guess it makes the tank that much less crowded
    Should I move the survivors temporarily into a large plastic storage box with all the accoutrements (gravel, plants, filter etc) until we get the tank (no guarantee it will actually be Sat, it may be Sun... or Mon) or would moving them twice in that short time just stress them out more?
    and, what substrate should we use.. since we'll need more anyway for the larger tank?
    Thanks so much!! :)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to three great years ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - rebecca_finny   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    All good advice you are getting here...you have research and a little work to do, but you CAN have a happy and healthy tank for you & your son...the people here will help you do that, like they have helped many others.

I would advise you to read as many of the "stickies" in the beginner section of this forum, good info there to build on.
    Good advice above. Also read the forum eBook -http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Everyone here will help you have a healthy tank and happy fish.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thank you for all the help and support so far, am reading the stickies and started reading the e-bk, thx for reminding me gronlaura!! meant to look at it n forgot...

one more question (for now) - i was reading up on cycling - i saw a product called "ammonite" in the pet store - didn't write down the brand -just the product designation -and can't find anything called ammonites online except fossils ... (but this product seems to be similar in effect: http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/sh...20Cycle%2030mL) it's supposed to have the same effect as cycling if i understood correctly - would this be any good to my fish?

thanks again all!
    Last edited by MelandScott; 07-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Nutrafin Cycle but also Tetra safestart sometimes work. Seems to be dependent on temperature but also Ph. It's certainly worth a try, can't hurt.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the kind words in the SW blog - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Those products might help a bit, but i would rate them as not worth the money. You definitely need an ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit as others have said, its the only way to know when you must do water changes and when your cycle is complete.

-Test kit
    -Water changes - or you'll almost certainly lose more fish

If you ask a pet store if there are products that will cycle your tank, they will say yes, they are liars.

Also, once you've resolved this first dilemma, i would highly recommend a heater. Heaters will keep a stable temperature in your tank, so if the temperature is varying throughout the day/night, the tank isn't fluctuating too much. Varying temperatures distresses fish immensely and in a smaller tank, it is much more likely to do so, therefore increasing the need for a heater.
    150g Malawi + Cuckoo cats
    45g Community - Pearl Gouramis, Tetras and Crayfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    Based on what are you saying that tank cycle products do not work?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the kind words in the SW blog - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    No products instantly cycles a tank
    150g Malawi + Cuckoo cats
    45g Community - Pearl Gouramis, Tetras and Crayfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    And that's based on? Experimentation? Your own experiences? Something you heard in the pub?

I've used safestart to revive a crashed tank only using a single shrimp in the process. I know of several experiments where safestart cut down on cycling times by as much as 95%.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first one Tiari - Strider199   It would take me many months to catch up to how many real bettas you have :) - PhillipOrigami   great job with that post - Jaster   Hope power is restored ASAP! - C-Dub   Because I was wrong, and you were right. Sorry. - bethyMT   

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a quick shopping list of what you will need, that will make this as streamlined and cost effective for you:

20 gallon "kit". These come boxed and have everything you need at first. A filter (not the best), hood and light. Its more economical to buy the kit than individual items. Price it out though, as some stores have sales on just the tanks, so you can see which is "cheaper", but the kit is easiest.

A second filter. The one that comes on the tank will work, but it won't be enough. Filters are rated for "empty" power, that means, without the actual filter in it. Whatever volume the filter says it will work for, cut it in half. A 20 gallon filter only really works for ten gallons. Purchase an easy to use Aquaclear (I think its now a fluval) 20. This is what the filter looks like. http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/275...tm?sort=rating You may have to cut the back of the hood to fit both filters, but its well worth it. If you decide to buy a tank / hood individually, get the Aquaclear 50 for a single filter.

Prime water conditioner. In my opinion, its simply the best

API master liquid test kit

Aquarium thermomenter

Gravel, plants, decorations. You are better off at first with more plastic plants than hard decorations. The hard decorations take up valuable swim space, again just my opinion. You want enough for hiding spots, but not so much that its taking up scads of room.

Algae scraper and tube cleaner, the tube cleaner is a triangular shaped stiff brush on a springy wire like handle. That will help clean filter intake tubes as well as tough corners in the tank.

Water change siphon. Get a larger one, not the smallest narrow one, you'll regret the small one. Gravel will get sucked up quick and clog up the inner parts slowing it way down. You want the one with the intake part about the same diameter as a Red Bull can.

Water change bucket. Can get this at dollar store, walmart, so on. When you get the bucket write on the outside of it "Fish only", and never use it for any other purpose, or use any detergent or cleaner in it of any kind. Cleaner residues can harm fish and kill the cycle. Keep fish keeping things separate from household items.

Quality food, and feed sparingly, especially while cycling. Check the ingredients, if its loaded with fillers (wheat gluten, corn so on) avoid it, it will pollute the tank and contribute to it getting cloudy.

Small emergency aquarium medicine cabinet:
    Small box of Aquarium salt. You aren't actually going to use this in the tank, but want it on hand in case a load of Ich breaks out while cycling. If that happens you can ask for the dosage here, but you have it on hand.

Kordon Kill Fungus or similar fungus cure

Maracyn 1 & 2. These are antibiotics that treat negative and positive bacteria, and are the general basic first step cures depending on what illness breaks out (fin rot and the like). If you can't find this in the store, order packages of them online. They are cheap and worth their weight in gold if a problem suddenly develops in the middle of the night or when shipping time would be too long once a problem arises.

Avoid "cure all" medications, and don't bother with "melafix", only targeted medications that treat specific problems.

This is just a basic list of the crucial items, and I hope it helps. In the meantime to save any fish you still have in the tiny tank, do daily water changes on it of at least half, with dechlorinated water. This may help keep them in good standing until you can get them in the new tank.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast