· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Serious help needed!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

My son and I just started a freshwater tank with help from "the guy in the store" who was quite helpful but apparently not all that knowledgeable. Our mistake in not doing research beforehand!

On his advice we started with 1 zebra danio, 1 black molly, 1 tiny guppy, 1 swordtail, and when the danio started harassing the guppy decided to get "company"- we were advised that up to 8 small fish in the tank was fine. Just before we bought the new fish the first zebra danio died, stuck between the aquarium wall and the filter sponge.

Current status? After less than 2 weeks, we have:
    a 2 1/2 gallon glass tank - we almost ended up with smaller, plastic tank -
    a sponge filter connected to air pump,
    3 plastic plants,
    1 dead zebra danio (no, not in the tank!),
    2 live zebra danio, of which one appears to be female (different shape),
    2 male guppies,
    2 juvenile guppies that may or may not be male...
    1 black molly,
    1 swordtail (male, judging by the tail)
    The water used: tap water treated with "dechlorinating salt" - a blue granulated substance, 1/2 tsp in the tank for 20 min before adding the fish last week.

Just read about cycling the tank last night and about using live plants - it appears we missed a vital step and we're now wondering if we should use natural plants instead... we're looking to go slowly with this new hobby but it seems we may have to step it up so the fish can be happy and healthy.

One more thing - we were told we didn't ned to change the water , just wash the filter sponge weekly?? but read that water should be partially changed on a two-weekly basis...

Help, please?
    Last edited by MelandScott; 07-25-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to the AC.

Before I'd worry about plants, 2 things immediately come to mind:

That little tank is overstocked

That little tank is not cycled

I would try to return the fish, and do a fishless cycle on the tank, see here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Then maybe you could buy your son a betta fish
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-25-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MelandScott View Post
    Hi,
    Current status? After less than 2 weeks, we have:
    a 2 1/2 gallon glass tank - we almost ended up with smaller, plastic tank -
    a sponge filter connected to air pump,
    3 plastic plants,
    1 dead zebra danio (no, not in the tank!),
    2 live zebra danio, of which one appears to be female (different shape),
    2 male guppies,
    2 juvenile guppies that may or may not be male...
    1 black molly,
    1 swordtail (male, judging by the tail)
    The water used: tap water treated with "dechlorinating salt" - a blue granulated substance, 1/2 tsp in the tank for 20 min before adding the fish last week.
    Just read about cycling the tank last night and about using live plants - it appears we missed a vital step and we're now wondering if we should use natural plants instead... we're looking to go slowly with this new hobby but it seems we may have to step it up so the fish can be happy and healthy.
    Help, please?
    Unfortunately, the 1st thing you should know is you were very misled regarding how many fish you can put in that sized tank : (

No one on this forum will recommend putting ANY fish in 2 1/2 gal tank - with such little space, it's no wonder a fish became aggressive.

If you are interested in keeping the fish you have purchased, I recommend you first purchase a larger tank - like 20gal or bigger.

A 2 1/2 gal tank should be used for nothing bigger than shrimp or snails.

You do not need dechlorinating salt - you need water conditioner (which I am assuming you have - unless what you purchased is indeed water conditioner) to add to any water you put into the tank.

Please do not rely upon any fish store employees to recommend what you should purchase - either fish or supplies - they are there to sell you things & I'm sure you weren't told to cycle your tank 1st either - that's important too - you need to read up on that but 1st a larger tank is in order if you want to give your remaining fish a shot at living.

Edit: I see slaphppy beat me to it - if you are able to return those fish, it's best to do that and THEN purchase a larger tank - cycle it and then buy fish that are appropriate - if you can't, then you need to get a larger tank ASAP and read about cycling a tank with fish.

Edit: Hardy - I recommended a 20gal incase the OP can't return the fish - they have 2 danios in there and the swordtail will get quite big so I felt 20gal would be good as an upgrade.
    Last edited by imma24; 07-25-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    few tips

Return the fish you have currently, really only the guppy could live in that size tank. Typically the min tank size is around 5g.

The danio didn't die by getting stuck, most like died and got sucked up against the filter

My advice:
    -if possible return the fish, if not try to sell/give away on craigslist
    -if you have room try for a 5-10g tank (not needed, but will give you more options)
    -the 1" of fish per gallon is not accurate and shouldn't be used
    -If you return the fish, read up on fishless cycling
    -if you can't return the fish, read up on cycling with fish (even though these fish are WAY to much for this tank)
    -You don't need live plants (they don't hurt, but get the fish settled and be comfortable with that before you go with live plants)
    -buy a API Master Freshwater test kit

** I agree with IMMA, 20g would be best... but a 5-10g could be used for "micro" fish or a betta

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow. Thanks so much for the help so far!

I'm not too sure how the forum works - if everyone who's replied will see a new post rather than a reply to each person, but I hope so... :)

Not against getting a 20-gallon -especially as I don't believe the store would take the fish back andd we were intending to expand... in time lol
    Yes, I believe it is WATER CONDITIONER not dechlorinating salts - my mistake.

So far, I guess, our next steps are:
    -larger tank
    -cycle new tank with fish? I noticed a thread on cycling I'll look at when I get home later
    -no new fish!!!!!
    -no plants just yet...

Is there anything else that I'm overlooking? One abused fish is one too many (sorry danio :()

Oh, lighting... the room doesn't get bright light, so I have a desk lamp with "daylight" bulb a few feet away during the day and we take all the lights off at night. IS that good enough? Didn't find much on lighting except that fish can't close their eyes to sleep like we would - hence the dark at night
    Thanks again!!
    Last edited by MelandScott; 07-25-2013 at 04:54 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    well its good that you are willing to change the conditions.

I would recommend a 20g long tank, and you typically want 40g of filtration then (look into a aquaclear 50)

Do you have a heater? You may not need one now (summer) but you will need one later. Also, ask the store if they will take the fish back... some will

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hardy,
    Thanks for the feedback.
    We'll look into the fish return and filters
    We live in a tropical climate so the heater shouldn't be necessary - should it? "Cold weather" for us is 25-28 degrees

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MelandScott View Post
    Wow. Thanks so much for the help so far!

I'm not too sure how the forum works - if everyone who's replied will see a new post rather than a reply to each person, but I hope so... :) - We all see it LOL

Not against getting a 20-gallon -especially as I don't believe the store would take the fish back andd we were intending to expand... in time lol
    Yes, I believe it is WATER CONDITIONER not dechlorinating salts - my mistake.

So far, I guess, our next steps are:
    -larger tank - Yes
    -cycle new tank with fish? I noticed a thread on cycling I'll look at when I get home later - Very important!
    -no new fish!!!!! - Yes!
    -no plants just yet...Nothing wrong with getting plants once you get a larger tank

Is there anything else that I'm overlooking? One abused fish is one too many (sorry danio :()

Oh, lighting... the room doesn't get bright light, so I have a desk lamp with "daylight" bulb a few feet away during the day and we take all the lights off at night. IS that good enough? Didn't find much on lighting except that fish can't close their eyes to sleep like we would - hence the dark at night - Well, it's good for the fish to have a cycle of night and day - too much light will probably lead to algae growth and you have no plants in there that need light so maybe 8 hrs during the day.
    Thanks again!!
    Fish do sleep - they will find a place somewhere in the tank to "lay down" and not move

Along with a larger tank, agree on getting a liquid test kit - many of us use the API freshwater - it has everything you need in it. You will need to monitor your water parameters (ammonia, nitrites & nitrates) - you will also need a siphon to change your water, a heater (adjustable) and a filter large enough for double the capacity of whatever size tank you get - so if you get a 20gal tank, your filter should be rated for at least 40 gal. May I also recommend getting Prime - it's a really good water conditioner that is very economical - it works the minute you add it to new water.

A background for the tank will be good - helps fish feel more secure. A bucket for water changes, unless you decide to get a "python" type water changer than hooks up to a faucet.
    Last edited by imma24; 07-25-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    All good advice you are getting here...you have research and a little work to do, but you CAN have a happy and healthy tank for you & your son...the people here will help you do that, like they have helped many others.

I would advise you to read as many of the "stickies" in the beginner section of this forum, good info there to build on.
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 07-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    a siphon isn't "needed" but helps a lot, if you want to save some $$ at first just use a clean bucket, cup and piece of pvc hose (1/2" diameter) like 5-6' long.

Use the hose to siphon the tank out, and refill with the cup... its what i do on the small tanks i have

if it only gets to 23-25* C you may not need a heater... but you may eventually wanna pick on up.