· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cool First 55g Journey Journal..

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All,

So I have ventured from my 20g low tech planted tank into a 55g ($1/Gal sale at Petco) tank. I have always loved the densely planted jungle tanks and would like to achieve something like that. A little over a week ago I bought the tank, substrate, driftwood, and plants. After running the tank for a couple of days I took the Tetra EX30 off of my 20g and put it on the 55g, as well as swapping the Penguin 350 cartridge and biowheel with the penguin 200 on my 20g. I then added an Australian Rainbow fish later that day. I was told/read that by adding the existing cycled fiters/media that I could go ahead and add a few fish. I replaced the 2 Actenic bulbs with a 6700k 24w bulb and a Colormax 24w bulb that I run with the two 10k 54w bulbs it came with-for 8 Hrs a day. I am Dosing Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive (A couple of times a week) and API CO2 Booster(daily). I just tested my water last night after a little over a week and my tank is cycled so I will probably grab some fish this weekend and maybe a few more plants. Im still not sure about my stocking list. I have been thinking of doing some Rainbows, H. Rasboras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Denison Barb, Sae or Otos and a bn pleco or maybe something more fancy.

Tank Specs:

55 Gallon Tank
    Odyssea Quad T5HO w/timer (6700k 24w, Colormax 24w, 2 x 10k 54w)
    Penguin 350 (70g)
    Tetra Whisper EX30 (30g)
    Aqueon 150w heater (1 at the moment)
    5 x 12 lb Caribsea Floramax Midnight Substrate
    1 x 15 lb Seachem Flourite Black Sand Substrate
    Driftwood, River Rocks added

Current Plants:
    2x amazon swords
    1x Melon sword
    1x micro amazon sword
    4x small potted babytears
    4x italian/jungle val
    3x lidwigia
    2x anubis
    2x wisteria
    2x rotala indica
    2x colombo crimson
    *I'm going to add some more background plants as well as java-fern to the driftwood eventually
    Things I already plan to Upgrade down the road...
    Eheim Canister Filter
    Either Metricide 14 or Injected CO2 System

9339384580_1c0b99b44f_z.jpg
    9336700915_493a2bbbc3_z.jpg

Thanks for any advice you might have and I look forward to sharing this journey with all of you! Any specific plant advice or stocking advice is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get her fully stocked!
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Im in. Fish Flakes ahoy! *sorry inside joke im sure you will be clued in on*
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Great aquascaping. Can't wait to see it fully stocked!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Gorgeous tank! I like all of the fish on your list - check out http://www.aqadvisor.com/ feed in your tank info and the fish and numbers you'd like to have and it will give you a pretty good summary on compatibility, and stocking maximums. It's not the absolute answer but it's a nice guide.
    Need more photos when you start adding fish :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking tank, love that pieces of driftwood on the left. Keep us flakes* updated!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [UPDATE]Well I did a 50% water change last night and today my test still looks good. Water is a little hard but that is how our water is down here. I picked up 6 H. Rasboras today along with some more cherry shrimp for my 20g. They seem to be doing great. My plants are still looking ok. I trimmed a few dead sword leaves last night along with some floating val blades. The Dwarf Baby tears seem to be doing the worst right now. Pretty sure that is a pipe dream using liquid co2...Oh well. Debating on just removing it or leaving it as be?

010.jpg012.jpg013.jpg
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I also forgot to mention I purchased some root tabs for my plants. PetSmart is having a 25% off sale on a lot of items. So hopefully that will help out a bit with my swords.
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I still need help with a Stocking plan...I love the H. Rasboras so far. I could do all 55g of them! Saw some upside down in my plants laying eggs already! I know my Australian Rainbow needs some friends I should be picking up Tuesday...I still don't know what else I should get. I have never had Corys before, so maybe I'll give those a shot? Or a bn pleco? I have never had Gouramis before either, but have read some people's post saying they didn't prefer them. Should I do another school of something or get a few coupled varieties?
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rway View Post
    I still need help with a Stocking plan...I love the H. Rasboras so far. I could do all 55g of them! Saw some upside down in my plants laying eggs already! I know my Australian Rainbow needs some friends I should be picking up Tuesday...I still don't know what else I should get. I have never had Corys before, so maybe I'll give those a shot? Or a bn pleco? I have never had Gouramis before either, but have read some people's post saying they didn't prefer them. Should I do another school of something or get a few coupled varieties?
    How many friends is your rainbow getting? That will make a difference in your stocking. He would probably like 5-7 friends. Then maybe a school of 8 longfin zebra danios? And add 9 more Harleys. That would be a nice tank.

My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, maybe a Mystery Snail

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    How many friends is your rainbow getting? That will make a difference in your stocking. He would probably like 5-7 friends. Then maybe a school of 8 longfin zebra danios? And add 9 more Harleys. That would be a nice tank.

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...:200909300124:
    + to this. You might even be able to add 20 more harleys. I have 13 in my 30 gallon with my single angel and am thinking of getting more. The BNP and the cory cats are also great choices
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492