· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Safely remove rust from acrylic?

0 Not allowed!
    So, I managed to find some acrylic welding agent to try to fix my 2.5 gallon hex with. (It's water-thin, and because the crack doesn't go all the way through and doesn't have any chips, I'm thinking it'll just siphon in, the same way as the edges would if you're building an acrylic tank.)

However, before I fix the cracking, I need to get the tank cleaned out. Unfortunately, someone (like any good sister, I blame my brother, lol) tossed staples in there at some point during its 2-decade stay in his old bedroom, so there's some really stubborn rust.

Is there any way to safely get out all of the rust so that it doesn't harm the fish, without using any cleaning agents that would also be toxic to fish? I tried scrubbing with peroxide, no dice. Let it soak 24 hours with vinegar then scrubbed, no dice. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 07-25-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

0 Not allowed!
    With minor scratches and taking off algae deposits on acrylic tanks I've had some luck using the magic erasers. Here a picture of one brand. Just have to wet the eraser so it's moist and it works. Great for taking black marks off walls, counters and doors too:p You can find other brands that make similar item, I get a generic magic eraser from the dollar store.

If that fails, you can get novus polish. You can get a kit with 3 solutions in it, each is a different grit. It is used for removing scratches from acrylic and make it shine more. Not sure if it would be worth it cost wise though, the novus 1 2 3 kit sells for about $15-20, a 2.5g tank might be cheaper to just replace with a new one for that much.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    This tank isn't made any more, and I'm trying to save it and use it for sentimental reasons. lol It was my first fish tank, given to me for Christmas (with two common goldfish in it) the year I was in kindergarten... So, about two decades old now.

The base it sits on and the UGF it came with are both brittle and cracking... A friend is going to help me make a new base for it to sit on (the bottom isn't flat and has a built-in valve for an air pump to run the UGF it came with, and where the UGF is supposed to sit the bottom is lower so that the top of the UGF is level with the bottom at the edges of the tank). I'm going to dispense with the UGF entirely, and re-do the lid as well.

And I have a partially-used one already... I can just cut off the part that was used to clean other stuff. But it's safe for aquariums?
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 07-25-2013 at 06:13 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post

And I have a partially-used one already... I can just cut off the part that was used to clean other stuff. But it's safe for aquariums?
    Sentimental reasons are good. The magic eraser is safe enough for tank use. I have even used it in tanks that have water and fish in it, to get rid of hard to remove algae spots. Don't scrub too hard with it if you have water in the tank, else little bits do come off.

About the crack you want to fix, weldon 3 or weldon 4 is what you are probably what you are after. Weldon 3 is normally used for bonding pieces of acrylic together, it sets very quickly. Weldon 4 is just like weld on 3 but much thinner. Both of those you apply using a bottle, and it comes out like water. Usually for larger cracks or repairs weld on 16 is used, it comes out rather thick. It will shrink a bit once it sets. If it's a small crack you are fixing and the edges of it meet up nicely, weldon 4 is probably the best for you to use. Could go with 16 instead if you need to fill in gaps.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Weld On 4 is what I purchased, and it arrived today. :) Though I don't have the bottle... Would I be able to use a brush for just trying to get it into cracks? And yes, the edges do meet up. There's no material missing. My guess is that either it wasn't properly supported, or that it wasn't level when it had water in it.

I have the classic magic eraser, and it got off some of the stains, but I think I'll need to bump up to the heavy duty one for the rest of it. (Not the kitchen or bathroom ones, though!)

What sucks is that I have to order all the stuff for welding acrylic online. No stores carry it.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    I would not use a brush. How weld on works is by fusing together 2 pieces of acrylic. If you used a brush, any weldon that gets on the rest of the acrylic would probably end up causing melting and adhering to it. Best applied with a applicator bottle, I suppose a syringe would work too.