· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default cycled filter gives instant cycled tank? How to store an temporary tank?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, i'm going to shutdown my 29 gallon tank and move everything to my 50 gallon + add some more fish just need to get rid of the current inhabitants of the 50 gallon. The plan is to have cichlids in the 50 gallon and breed them so the 29 gallon are going to act as a BT,QT,FT.

To the questions will an established filter in an unestablished tank make the whole tank established? when i'm going to transform the 50 gallon im going to have it's external filter shutdown for several hours so ill use the filter in the 29 gallon to go together with the filter in the 50 gallon until i need it for the 29 gallon again. Will it be safe to add this filter to the 29 gallon if i want to put a pair of cichlids or a pair of BN in the 29 gallon to breed. or do i need to restart the cycle from the beginning?

How do you store a tank the best as this 29 gallon may sit at the start for a few month before i either get any fry or a fish to breed. it's going to have water in it to keep the silicone waterproof. should i add an airstone or another filter to tank to keep the water moving in case smell or such?

It's going to be a breeding tank since i have no idea what to make of the tank. maybe go asian theme later but plants are expensive and i need like 200 more for the 50 gallon, and i make very little money so i can buy about 10 plants in a year so will be hard maintaining two planted tanks.

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Moving a cycled filter to a new tank means the new tank will be cycled but not mature. You should treat it as a newly cycled tank. The current stock is fine to move over, but add more fish slowly and monitor water parameters.
    For the old 29g, since you are going to leave water in it you may as well get a new filter and cycle the tank. Though it might be easier for you to tear down the 29g and put an additional filter on the 50g and move it over to the 29g and set it up as needed.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    From your post i believe i wasn't really clear. the filter thats running in the 29 gallon are going to move to the 50 gallon since the 50 gallon filter will lose alot of it's BB since it's going to be shutdown for a few hours while i rescape it. Then im going to move the filter for the 29 gallon to the 29 gallon when im going to use the 29 gallon for either breeding or if i find fry in the 50 gallon to house them there. When the 29 gallon is empty again the filter goes back into the 50 gallon until next use so it's a cycled filter.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As long as you keep the BB wet you shouldn't lose much BB from the 50 gallon filter. That's a good plan to keep the 29's filter on the 50 more filtration is always welcome.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im only going to keep it in there if it's going to be enough cycled to let fish move to the 29 gallon without dying off, i have a filter rated for a 100 gallon so filteration is not a problem for that tank, if the filter won't do much of a diffrent if it's a cycled filter ill just shut to whole system down until i have a use for the 29 gallon tank.