· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Does polyester filling = filter floss?

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so I was watching a tutorial from Uarujoey today, and he basically showed something that I had been wondering about at the back of my mind. Instead of buying filter floss from an aquarium store, he uses polyester filling from the craft store! (Which comes out to be about the same price for 2-3x the polyester fluff.)

I actually have some already, seeing as I also craft. What I have is this, it says 100% polyester on the bag. Doesn't mention anything about anti-bacterial or anti-mildew.

So, does anyone have any experience with this? Are polyester filling and filter floss essentially the same thing under different marketing names?
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I used to use pillow stuffing personally so no direct contact with your pure polyester. I would assume it would work but not 100% sure.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I've used polyester quilt batting before and I think it works great. It comes in rolled sheets. You can cut the batting into the size you need. Just make sure there's no fire retardant or other chemicals in the batting.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz--I can't imagine how they're different, especially since the picture on Petco's website looks just like a mass of fluff. Heh.

Taurus-- I'm thinking of looking at batting too (and what Joey had in the video clearly said 'batting' on the bag label), but I already have the filling and for smaller jobs it should work right, right?
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    Taurus-- I'm thinking of looking at batting too (and what Joey had in the video clearly said 'batting' on the bag label), but I already have the filling and for smaller jobs it should work right, right?
    It depends on the filter or the application. I recommend the batting for use in power filters and the loose fill (pillow stuffing) for use in a canister filter tray.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of stuffing a bit between the filter sponge I used to replace a cartridge and the outflow hole in my Aqueon Minibow's built-in Quietflow filter.

I'm also thinking of using it in my diy sump filter for the tank I'm working on. I haven't finalized the idea entirely yet, but my idea is somewhere between Joey's newest video on a DIY power filter and the version of a sponge filter with ceramic bio media that he did a while back.

Sorry, tried to do a URL link to the videos since I didn't want to embed them, but apparently the board doesn't like adding a link to youtube.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    It works best as a mechanical filter media although it will hold a fair amount of beneficial bacteria as well.

Biomax is a better biomedia. A sponge will hold beneficial bacteria as well perform mechanical filtration.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-24-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not going to replace the sponge in the Aqueon filter with the polyester fiber, just add some in to try to get rid of the small dust particulate that passes straight through the sponge I'm using.

And as for the sump filter, it would be purely mechanical there too. I'd be using actual bio media for biological filtration.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I've used polyester quilt batting before and I think it works great. It comes in rolled sheets. You can cut the batting into the size you need. Just make sure there's no fire retardant or other chemicals in the batting.
    While there are many other different words used to describe the same thing, Taurus is right on - polyester quilt batting (which is what they call it at a fabric store) is the same thing as is being sold @ LFS's as filter floss.
    Only difference is you get less than 1/2 as much @ a LFS for twice the price. Fabric stores usually sell a roll of one square meter in size for about $5. That much lasts me for months.
    I've been using it for years. In recent years though, as Taurus says, some manufacturers of quilt batting have begun adding fire retardants, pesticides and other additives, so you need to check labels and ask the necessary questions to make sure the batting is free of any chemical additives.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyby Stardancer View Post
    I'm not going to replace the sponge in the Aqueon filter with the polyester fiber, just add some in to try to get rid of the small dust particulate that passes straight through the sponge I'm using.

And as for the sump filter, it would be purely mechanical there too. I'd be using actual bio media for biological filtration.
    Sure, go ahead and give it a try. I use it my Aquaclear filters between the sponge and biomax.
    Last edited by Taurus; 07-24-2013 at 11:22 PM.