· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default I've got the bug..

0 Not allowed!
    Hey Everyone,

I just recently joined the hobby/community. It all started last February when my gf and I bought on impulse a Beta fish from our local Wal-Mart. We had him in a large vase but the water would get cloudy after a few days and I got tired of changing it. I then got online and did research to find out that our Beta preferred a much larger tank than the had. So we went and bought a nice Marineland 5 gallon kit and set him up in there with some fake plants. I had such a blast setting it up. It made me remember I had an old 20g and 10g tank at my parents house. So a week later I went and got them. I watched hours of Youtube videos (shout out Dustinsfishtanks) and researched ever day (still do :P) until I bought some plants and equipment to set up my 20g planted tank. It's a low tech planted tank. It looks very nice and I have had great success with the Cardinal Tetras in there, a cherry shrimp, assassin snails, otos, and a Female GBR. I had that for about 5 months and I slowly felt the urge to have a LOT more water! I want to be able to have schools of bigger fish. I got the MTS bad. So I got the $1 a gallon sale 55g from petco a couple weeks ago and have been working on it. I am going to do a High-light, heavily planted tank. I'm nervous but very excited. I'm ballin' on a budget though. I have decent gear for the money I have put into it. Plan to upgrade everything eventually. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone here and hope that we can make my new tank a success! Thanks.

Cheers,

-Rway

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Budget is my middle name!

FYI, if you are doing high light, look into aquariumfertilizer.com's Micro/macro fert mix, it will last a very long time (dosing 5ml-6ml per day for you) and also look into metricide 14 (cheaper alternative to seachum flourish excel) and I'd dose about 10ml at first and work up to 15ml per day of that. Also, look into some good root tabs for heavy root feeders

For about $50 all that should last you about a yr (if not more)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Budget is my middle name!

FYI, if you are doing high light, look into aquariumfertilizer.com's Micro/macro fert mix, it will last a very long time (dosing 5ml-6ml per day for you) and also look into metricide 14 (cheaper alternative to seachum flourish excel) and I'd dose about 10ml at first and work up to 15ml per day of that. Also, look into some good root tabs for heavy root feeders

For about $50 all that should last you about a yr (if not more)
    Awesome, That's the kind of information I love. What to buy, where to buy it cheap and how much to use! Thanks so much Hardy85! I will have to post pics of my progress.

0 Not allowed!
    awesome, looking forward to it. Many things in this hobby can be done cheaper then most fish stores lead you too believe...

if it's a general product that could work, the second they label it meant for aquarium use the price doubles.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sweet and welcome to the forum! I have a little experience with high light setups, but not one that big. What are you going to run for Co2? I ran a DIY in my 29g but a 55 is really going to need some kind of injection. Here's a video of the 29 I used to run:

I loved that tank but it was just so much work keeping the plants trimmed. I had some stuff that would grow inches per week.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you should jump right in and get in a journal. Let us know about all your tanks and would love to see pictures!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Right now I am just doing liquid co2 but have been looking into metricide 14 per the advice of Hardy85. When I can afford injected, I will plant more. I love your tank! Hope mine can have the same success. I want a dense jungle!
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you should jump right in and get in a journal. Let us know about all your tanks and would love to see pictures!
    Thank you! What is this journal you speak of? I will upload some pictures when I get home! I want to take one every week to see the progress :P
    55g Planted Tank-Med-High Light-5xAustrailian Rainbow, 6xH. Rasboras, 8xRummynose Tetras, 1x BN Pleco (###),2xAssassins Journal
    20g Planted Tank-Low Light-1xGBR,12xCardinal Tetras, 3xCherry Shrimp, 2xOtos, 2xAssassins
    10g QT tank

5g Beta Tank

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's