· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An interview with Mr.Jörg Stendker

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting read for all the discus fans I think: http://www.diskuszucht-stendker.de/p...tuell/23_1.pdf

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I am not a discus fan, but it is still an interesting read.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Good read. Stenker Discus are indeed prolific and have been well known to spawn outside of the parameters successfully by many keepers.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz, as I said I am not a discus fan but this is from the article...
    "We use the following water parameters to breed: total hardness 1, carbon hardness lower than 1, ph value 5,5-6,0,
    conductance value 250 μS and 27° water temperature."

Isn't that the standard parameters recommended as inside the normal parameters for breeding?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass 
    Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady 
    Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 
    Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Sandz, as I said I am not a discus fan but this is from the article...
    "We use the following water parameters to breed: total hardness 1, carbon hardness lower than 1, ph value 5,5-6,0,
    conductance value 250 μS and 27° water temperature."

Isn't that the standard parameters recommended as inside the normal parameters for breeding?
    Good question, actually there are some vary large opinions about that. Stenker uses this, Jack Watley used to use this but has come up in the hardness count, Joe Gargas uses florida tap water hardness (we go from 280-300+), Several simplydiscus.com members have bred in 10 different very different perameters including planted tanks and bare bottom. The one true fact I know of discus is the need for clean water. The rest is variablity and here-say discussion. Also on PH I have an 8+ ph and bred discus and grew to a large size in those conditions. A cool side note is that most discus breeders I know state that fry grow exceptionally well in harder water due to the extra calcium it provides.

I actually switched my water from tap to a purification system due to finding pesticides in my water so now I run 15 on the hardness meter instead of the 280-300+ I was seeing (to be clear we are talking tds counts) gh and kh were high as well but I dont have readings in my head that I can quote right now. I notice no direct effect on the species I keep which are my discus, black cory group, red cherry shrimp and african tank currently.

In short (sorry for being long winded) the parameters stated are not the "Normal" parameters, but I would consider them the exceptional parameters, especially for wild discus if one were to breed those fish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I see, I misread your first post. I took it to mean that Stendker was breeding discus in conditions outside optimal parameters. But, what you meant was he was using optimal parameters but many people you know are breeding discus using water outside optimal parameters therefore Stendker was breeding discus outside of the parameters successfully by many keepers.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I am not a discus fan, but it is still an interesting read.
    I agree. I like that it's a "hatchery" not a "fish farm".
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp, BNP. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Don't forget it's a Portuguese interviewing a German. It was probably done in English but neither is a native speaker. That can distort some nuances.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I see, I misread your first post. I took it to mean that Stendker was breeding discus in conditions outside optimal parameters. But, what you meant was he was using optimal parameters but many people you know are breeding discus using water outside optimal parameters therefore Stendker was breeding discus outside of the parameters successfully by many keepers.
    Lol sorry if I was unclear let me be specific: I know many breeders that own Stendker pairs. They were bred in the water stated by Stendker but have produced fry successfully outside of those conditions multiple times over. My main point was these fish from Stendker are top notch fish and well adapted to home aquatic life in almost any condition. It just speaks to their quality.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh yes, these are famous in Europe for the fact that you can breed these in clean tapwater