· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

Default Possible tankmates for my young betta?

0 Not allowed!
    I want to do research for when I'm finally ready to start adding fish in to the tank I'm in the process of setting up for my baby betta.

Details of the tank.

Size: The outside of the tank is 18"Lx8.5"Dx12"H. There will also be about another gallon of water with the sump system.
    Filtration: It will be planted, though not super-heavily at first, so there will be plenty of space for plants to grow in. There will also be a DIY sump filter, and I'm not exactly sure how to rate that. The pump I bought for it is rated for 40gph, though I'll have to be careful to lower the current, so as not to have too strong a current for the betta.
    Water Change Schedule: I try to do one 50% water change a week with my established tank, and that will be the eventual goal for this tank. However, depending on how quickly I get it set up and the age of my betta when he goes in, it'll likely get a 50% change every other day or so at first, then gradually spacing out to once a week.

There will be some trumpet snails going in as well, that's certain. What else could go in there with my betta? I'm thinking it's likely just invertebrates, but would be pleasantly surprised if some fish could go in as well.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Whats the volume of that tank... Im too tired to look it up lol. If its a 10g you can try some micro fish with the betta, shrimp would be my choice tho. Otos would likely be ok. Maybe pygmy cories.... But that all depends on your betta. Its always hit or miss and if you stock the betta first its more miss than hit.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    According to this calculator, it's about 8 gallons. It was sold to me as a 6 gallon tank, so the extra two gallons is nice. LOL

I'm thinking, if I can get my hex fixed (I'm sure going to give it my best shot!), I'm going to set that up next to this tank and have water cycle between the two tanks and sump, and have shrimp in the smaller tank.

You know, it's still a bit too soon to tell with the little guy. He's certainly bold, and after some investigation when I first put them in, he's pretty much left his snail tank mates alone. Of course, snails are a far cry from other fish! And there's also the thought that maybe if he's around them while still young, he would be fine with them. (Kind of like how a puppy and a kitten that grow up together usually are buddies, but put an adult cat with a dog for the first time and there's likely to be trouble.)

I'd be happy if I could get a small school of something in there with him, but I'm still so new to fishkeeping that I have no idea what microfish or small bottom-dweller would be happy in a tank that size.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have kept a few bettas in a few different size tanks, anything 10g or less is betta only. I assume it's a male? If so give him the whole tank fish wise, you can try shrimp but he will probably eat them. I consider 20g to be the minimum for a betta with tank mates. If we are talking females thats a whole different ballgame.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Add a nice head of moss and the shrimp should always be present in the tank. But 8g is too small for a male betta + others.... Sorry.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Like I said in my first post, I didn't think so, but I wanted to put it out there and get other opinions. :)

FinalJenemba--It's too young to tell for sure. I *think* he's a male, as I didn't see any ovaries when he was paler, but that doesn't mean I'm right. LOL So I"m calling him a he until I know for sure. And I'm unlikely to put shrimp in the tank with him. Like I said, I'm trying to fix up another tank for shrimp that would be in the same system as this tank, but they wouldn't have to worry about being hunted by a hungry predator looking for a snack. :)
    Last edited by Flyby Stardancer; 07-24-2013 at 05:56 AM.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

0 Not allowed!
    I'd like to commend you for being open about the advice given to you regarding your betta tank - it amazes me how many fish people think they can put into a small tank and then they panic when one fish becomes aggressive or some start hiding.

Smart to ask before you buy fish!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you! It always amazes me when people don't do their research! lol Then again, I was raised by parents who always researched before any major purchase or hobby decision. Just watching that passed it on to me, and I've always had a love of animals. Even with fish, you're taking responsibility for a *life*, how can you not want to give it the best home you can, and make the sacrifice to not have it if you can't give it a good home?

And besides, research and dreaming and figuring out how to overcome challenges is part of the fun! LOL
    1. 2. (No Picture)