· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    well i just got the endlers last week... since then I have at least one group of about 10 fry, but... they are the only ones in the tank (other than two baby pleco) and have hornwort (floating plant) to hide in

The parent can, and will, eat the fry. So if they have no-where to hide you will only occasionally see babies make it. But otherwise I'd expect each female to have 1-2 batches of 10-15 fry a month.

But that said, I know I can sell or trade them to local aquarists.

I'd put the corys in last, being that they are a bottom dweller they would be at the most risk if water conditions aren't perfect...

Look into a fishless cycle, much easier on you and future fish...

As for the tanks I'm thinking of... thats kinda my plan for the next yr or two as soon as I find a house

0 Not allowed!
    Got it -- thanks for the info.

I am doing a fishless cycle with plants. I haven't set up my tank yet because I will be out of town for a few days next week, but I will start as i soon as I get back. Set up the tank, add some plants, and use ammonia to start the cycle. I am estimating about a month to complete the fishless cycle (I will jump start the cycle with media from a filter I have in a cycled 2.5 gallon). After that I will start adding fish, so it should be early september for my first addition.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Cool! I now know who I can run to screaming for help when I screw up something with the danios They must look stunning all together in your tank!
    Haven't gotten them yet. Just finishing my stand and have to buy my canister and heater. From what I have read, the danios are great fish. I can't wait to get the tank setup and get my fish!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    Haven't gotten them yet. Just finishing my stand and have to buy my canister and heater. From what I have read, the danios are great fish. I can't wait to get the tank setup and get my fish!
    Oh is this for the tank on your latest journal? I guess I need to go back and read it more carefully! I focused more on the stand when I first read it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh is this for the tank on your latest journal? I guess I need to go back and read it more carefully! I focused more on the stand when I first read it.
    Yes, they will be in the first tank stocked, hopefully in the next month.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    I'm kind of set on having at least some Endlers... they come from a single lake in my native Venezuela, and are believed to be extinct in the wild. I also like that they seem to reproduce easily, so if I ever decide to try my hand at breeding (or I should say when I decide to try hand at breeding! :-) they sound like an easy fish to start with.
    Endlers it is then for some very good reasons.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone! I think i will start with 8 danios, and once everyone is settled in, depending on how things look, add 2 more or start adding 3 endlers at a time.

Is a 2.5g with a filter rated for 10g good enough for a quarantine tank? If it is, how many fish could I have in there at once? Or is it way too small no matter what?

0 Not allowed!
    well if you are starting with the danios, your main tank could be your QT tank (since they would be the only fish)

a 2.5 for 3 endlers would be fine, and for the filter you may need to baffle the flow a little. You will need to use some filter media that is cycled, otherwise the QT tank won't be cycled. Some people (me included have an extra bag of bio-media in our main tank filters for just that reason)

Then when you are done QT'ing clean the biomedia well will tap water (will help kill bad things but will kill bacteria) then put it back in main filter to re-seed itself

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    a 2.5 for 3 endlers would be fine, and for the filter you may need to baffle the flow a little. You will need to use some filter media that is cycled, otherwise the QT tank won't be cycled. Some people (me included have an extra bag of bio-media in our main tank filters for just that reason)

Then when you are done QT'ing clean the biomedia well will tap water (will help kill bad things but will kill bacteria) then put it back in main filter to re-seed itself
    Perfect! Thank you for the very clear advice :-)

The 2.5 is cycled, and i was planning on putting the small bag of (depleted) activated carbon the 2.5 filter uses into my canister for the 29g, and keep it there. Then when i need the 2.5, i just put the small bag back into its filter. Still I like your idea better, of just using media from the canister. I would still use the small carbon bag to help seed the 29g at the very beginning, but will throw it out after the 29 is cycled.

0 Not allowed!
    I would recommend you look into bio-max (ceramic media), the carbon really doesn't do much in the way for bio-media. In most everyday filters the bio-media is actually the fabric, mechanical filtration is like a plastic screen, and the carbon serves as a chemical filtration (not needed unless you are specifically trying to remove something from the water)