· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Question on stocking a 29g

0 Not allowed!
    As some of you already know I am in the process of setting up my first tank, a 29 gallon planted community, and I have been thinking about how to stock it. I have a list of fish i'd love to have, and would love soem feedback on my choices and on the best way to get to the fully stocked tank. I will add fish very slowly until i am fully stocked, and i am guessing it will take many months.

I love the idea of well populated aquarium, with many small, schooling fish moving about in groups. So, my wish list (for now) is as follows, in no particular order (feedback is welcome!):

• 6 Endler's livebearers. I would love to have this one, because it comes from my native Venezuela :-) I don't know the right number or male/female ratio. I read they reproduce easily and often, and I would not want to suddenly have myself a tank overrun with these (although I am guessing the fry would not survive long in a community tank). The males are smaller and colorful, so I think I would start with 4-6 males and no females, unless an all-male group is not advisable. If an all male group is not a good idea then I guess it would be 2 males and 5-6 females as I read this is the best ratio.
    • 4 Pygmy Cories: This was suggested by Hardy85 and taurus and I really like them. I did not read anything about it requiring larger groups, so I am thinking 4.
    • 8 Glowlight Danios. My daughter's choice :-)
    • 8 Espe's Rasboras. They seem harder to find, so Harlequins would be the substitute.
    • 8 Black Widow Tetras

I did some research and as far as I can tell, all these fish are compatible with each other and would do well in my water with pH of 7.5 and dH of 5-6 (The only exception is the tetra which would prefer slightly harder water). I know cories will spend most of their time at the bottom, and the rasboras towards the middle. Not sure about the others.

AqAdvisor says this is 99% stocking for my tank. Of course I won't do this right away, but over many months, which leads to my questions.

What is the best way to get there? Should I add only one species at a time, until that species is fully stocked, and only then move to the next one? The two hardiest seem to be Danios and Endler's livebearers, so I guess I should start with one of those two, and leave the others until my tank is more mature and stable. I know for Danios I need 6-8. Should i add them all at once? Or in two equal groups? (I am planning to do fishless cycling before I add any of these fish)

In short, what is the best way to go from an empty cycled tank to a stocked tank, in terms of the timing and order of additions?

0 Not allowed!
    well few things:

1. Good job going fishless cycle.
    2. After your cycle is done you technically could add all the fish at once since your filter will be ready for it
    3. I would recommend doing a school of the pygmy cories, say 10
    4. For endlers, they do great in trios, (1m 2f) so any # of trios would be good
    5. do you mean glofish or glolight? Two separate types of fish. I would recommend the glofish because they need a bit longer tank than the 29 just because they are fast swimmers
    6. Out of the danios, rasboras, and tetras I'd say pick your two favorite. Keeping the # of schools to 4 I think would be best. just up some of the other #s

I'd vote:
    6-9 Endlers (stick with same type)
    8 Cory
    10 Danios
    10 Rasboras

Toss some driftwood with java fern and anubius tied to it, a floating plant. And these guys will be very happy

0 Not allowed!
    I'd vote for:

10 Pygmy Cory
    10 Danios
    10 Rasboras

but Hardy's suggestion would work too.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    As some of you already know I am in the process of setting up my first tank, a 29 gallon planted community, and I have been thinking about how to stock it. I have a list of fish i'd love to have, and would love soem feedback on my choices and on the best way to get to the fully stocked tank. I will add fish very slowly until i am fully stocked, and i am guessing it will take many months.

I love the idea of well populated aquarium, with many small, schooling fish moving about in groups. So, my wish list (for now) is as follows, in no particular order (feedback is welcome!):

• 6 Endler's livebearers. I would love to have this one, because it comes from my native Venezuela :-) I don't know the right number or male/female ratio. I read they reproduce easily and often, and I would not want to suddenly have myself a tank overrun with these (although I am guessing the fry would not survive long in a community tank). The males are smaller and colorful, so I think I would start with 4-6 males and no females, unless an all-male group is not advisable. If an all male group is not a good idea then I guess it would be 2 males and 5-6 females as I read this is the best ratio.
    • 4 Pygmy Cories: This was suggested by Hardy85 and taurus and I really like them. I did not read anything about it requiring larger groups, so I am thinking 4.
    • 8 Glowlight Danios. My daughter's choice :-)
    • 8 Espe's Rasboras. They seem harder to find, so Harlequins would be the substitute.
    • 8 Black Widow Tetras

I did some research and as far as I can tell, all these fish are compatible with each other and would do well in my water with pH of 7.5 and dH of 5-6 (The only exception is the tetra which would prefer slightly harder water). I know cories will spend most of their time at the bottom, and the rasboras towards the middle. Not sure about the others.

AqAdvisor says this is 99% stocking for my tank. Of course I won't do this right away, but over many months, which leads to my questions.

What is the best way to get there? Should I add only one species at a time, until that species is fully stocked, and only then move to the next one? The two hardiest seem to be Danios and Endler's livebearers, so I guess I should start with one of those two, and leave the others until my tank is more mature and stable. I know for Danios I need 6-8. Should i add them all at once? Or in two equal groups? (I am planning to do fishless cycling before I add any of these fish)

In short, what is the best way to go from an empty cycled tank to a stocked tank, in terms of the timing and order of additions?
    IMHO, I think that's way too many fish for that sized tank - I would go with 2 schools of mid to upper level groups and a group of bottom dwellers such as the smaller corys (a group of at least 6).

While it might nice in theory to have many little fish in your tank, you have to consider giving them adequate swimming space so they aren't bumping into each other - the more heavily stocked you are, the more stress that puts fish under.

The danios you are referring to are really "glo fish" - they are genetically altered to neon colors & are much more expensive than regular danios. They tend to occupy the top level of a tank and grow to about 1 1/2 inches a piece. The endlers would probably be nice. I wouldn't put black skirt tetras in a tank that size - they get fairly large and need a school of at least 6.

As long as you cycle the tank 1st, you can put a group of fish in all at once, but after that, I recommend you get a small tank (like 5-10gal) for quarantining & then add only a few at a time after that - like 3 or 4 to give the filter enough time to catch up to the ammonia production.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    The danios you are referring to are really "glo fish" - they are genetically altered to neon colors & are much more expensive than regular danios. .
    I have thought the same thing.. but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glowlight_danio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GloFish

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Well lookit that! I stand corrected.

I also wanted to make the point that getting schooling fish doesn't mean they are going to school together all the time if that's what you want - fish that feel safe in a tank will roam all over - I have 6 neon tetras and they rarely swim as a school.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    The danios you are referring to are really "glo fish" - they are genetically altered to neon colors & are much more expensive than regular danios.
    Sorry for the confusion. I am not referring to glofish -- I meant Danio choprai -- these guys.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - Cliff Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 
    Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    Sorry for the confusion. I am not referring to glofish -- I meant Danio choprai -- these guys.
    These are the danios I am putting in my 29 gal, a school of 12-14 with 2 BNPs. How about the endlers, danios and cories?
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios
    My Dual 29 gals, finally ready for fish - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras, Tank 2 - Diamond Tetras, Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Imma and Hardy for all the great info. I guess I had this vision of a tank full of beautifully coordinated schools of fish :-) I will do as you suggest -- no tetras, which will bring the schools down to 4, and slightly more of the others, specially the cories.

Any particular preference for the order in which these should be added? I'm guessing I should start with Endlers or Danios as they are the hardiest, so would not be as stressed by an immature tank. What about the others?

@Hardy: I just read your most recent journal (the number of tanks you discuss is dizzying! I'm struggling trying to set up just one!) and realized you already have some Endlers. Do they reproduce as readily as some places seem to suggest? I don't have enough knowledge to breed anything just yet, but if they do reproduce would the fry get eaten by the other fish? Or is there a chance some would survive? It would be cool to try to breed them... but much, much later! Would it be a problem to try to keep all males? I know males in some species can bully each other if there are not enough females... I also know that too few females is bad for these guys... so it would be all males, or some multiple of three in a 1:2 ratio.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I'd vote for:

10 Pygmy Cory
    10 Danios
    10 Rasboras
    I'm kind of set on having at least some Endlers... they come from a single lake in my native Venezuela, and are believed to be extinct in the wild. I also like that they seem to reproduce easily, so if I ever decide to try my hand at breeding (or I should say when I decide to try hand at breeding! :-) they sound like an easy fish to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by gronlaura View Post
    These are the danios I am putting in my 29 gal, a school of 12-14 with 2 BNPs. How about the endlers, danios and cories?
    Cool! I now know who I can run to screaming for help when I screw up something with the danios They must look stunning all together in your tank!

The consensus seems to be for no Tetras... so, they are off the list. Thanks everyone for the great feedback!