· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Got kick out of the local pet store today.

0 Not allowed!
    I went into a new local pet store today to get a couple zebra loaches. I have 2 and wanted to get 2 more. I asked the guy who was ll of 18 years old, not that an 18 year old doesn't know fish, to get them for me and he set up to get them from a top tank so he was on a step ladder. He came down to grab his net and started to climb back up and stopped on the bottom step and asked me "Just what is in your tank?" He didn't say it with curiosity in his voice like he just wanted to chat. He said it like I had no clue what I was doing. His tone was all sorts of wrong with a customer and I reply "fish".

What kind?

Brown with little stripes exactly like those ones.

What else.

Ill tempered sea bass...

he kicked me out lol

If you don't want my $100 an month I'll take it somewhere else.

2 Zebra loaches?

no man I'll just go to Petco.

They don't have zebra loaches

No they don't but they have good employees

I may go back and talk to the owner today, unless that was him. You would think they being a non-chain store would want to secure as many regular customers as possible.

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe they care about fish, which is rare enough in many places, and don't want to contribute to yet another messed up tank. If that's a lol to you then perhaps you do need to take your business to petco.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Indeed, it seems like he had the fish's best interest in mind. Just because he was asking about your current stock doesnt mean you need to be rude about it. Sounds like he might have been snippy about it but i would have just gone with it
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I guarantee you it was not about the fish but about me in general. I'm sort of used to dealing with it due to my general look. Covered in tattoos and piercings and such and I know the sound of the concerned fish store guy and the guy who I encountered today. I deal with another local store which is further than a quick run down the road like this one. The "Just what is in your tank?" was in a nasty tone from the get go.

Sorry if I rubbed you guys the wrong way as well.

0 Not allowed!
    If looks were the issue then the guy in the store was clearly at fault. One thing I have learned is that good fish keepers come in all colours. I recently sold some shrimp to a guy that fit your description. Very knowledge able and dedicated.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well he did well to not sell you those fish, they'd have been no match for the sea bass
    150g Malawi + Cuckoo cats
    45g Community - Pearl Gouramis, Tetras and Crayfish

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I am tatt00ed fr0m the t0ps 0f my feet and fingers all the way up t0 my l0wer jaw, I never had any issues with any empl0yee 0f any establishment I ever went int0. D0n't kn0w if pe0ple are generally intimidated by my l00k 0r if I just carry myself in a manner that pe0ple d0n't get the wr0ng idea.
    Either way, I let snippy pe0ple r0ll 0ff - they have n0 impact 0n my being in the l0ng run.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    If you really feel like you have been wronged, try talking to the manager or owner of the place. Tell him/her about your concerns and explain the problem. It would be horrible for you to stop using an lfs and just going to a petco. I understand feeling like you are being judged but ive gotten past that and fixed a couple of relationships with lfs. Petco would never think of special ordering fish/plants for you. I have started up a tab at one of my favorite lfs, i do work for them and i get great store credit, both helping when an employees calls out or computer help. Its great lol. Going to be cashing in that for some earth eaters.

Didnt realise you felt like he was judging you on looks.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I am covered in tattoos and piercings as well, as an added bonus I live in a smallish conservative southern town. Although I have seen a downward look or two I have never felt discriminated against because of the way I look. I guess I am the same as Longshot, I don't expect discrimination so I don't get it. When I walk into a new fish store I also get asked about my tanks, I never took this as a bad thing. I just figured it was because THEY DON'T KNOW ME. I can appreciate the questions because it can open a dialogue between us and I can learn just how much they know as well. Too bad you blew this opportunity to establish a relationship with a lfs, I know the few that I have established have been worthwhile. Maybe if you go back in and apologize for being rude they will let you back in.
    Last edited by mommy1; 07-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I've had a few LFS rub me the wrong way. I think this was more a LFS employee that cared about the fish and there was over-reaction on both sides