· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default FinalJenemba's 90g Big Cichlid Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Figured I better get a journal going for this thing, as my goal is to make this the best tank I have ever done! This is going to be a SA biotope with large cichlids, one of which will most likely be an F1 oscar. This is my first tank over 45g and im super excited! All I have right now is the tank and the stand, still have a ton of stuff to get together. I spent all day today cleaning it up and repainting the trim and the back glass. Got the thing moved in the house and jesus is it big, it's hard to see scale in a picture but it looks silly in my bedroom (yes this sob is in my bedroom :P). Glad I didn't try to shoehorn a 150 in here!

So still lots to get but first things first I need to decide on filtration. Im going to be running 1 canister filter. As I said I sleep next to it so I will not be adding an HOB in addition to the can, they are so freaking loud. That means it will need to be big enough to handle an adult oscar plus some big tank mates. I'm looking at the API FilStar XP Canisters, either the L or XL (basically renames of the XP3 and XP4). Im thinking about just getting the 450gph XL, I figure you can't have enough filtration, but for the sake of argument would the 350gph L be enough?

CRAPPY PIC:
    IMG_0360.JPG
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So this is a 4 foot 120g tank? I would buy a canister with at least 5 x the turnover rate for a single oscar so a single APi Filstar 350gph L would be a minimum requirement, and that's if you don't plan to add other fish. Adding more "big" fish would require at least 2 x 350gph L canisters.

I like having more than 1 canister since it reduces the risk of single point of failure and reduction of bacteria due to maintenance.

What is your definition of other big fish with the oscar? up to 6"? up to 12"? Heavy bodied fish like an oscar?

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA 
    Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime 
    I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    an almost 4x turn over for the oscar alone would be fine but I would be going for a full 450gph for the 90 if I was you.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    Subscribed.
    130g: 7 Angelfish, 1 Bolivian, 12 Neon Tetras, 14 Serpae Tetras, 9 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora ? Ghost Shrimp
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Missed that part about 90g in the title

Well as for other tankmates in a 90g, I would only stick with a single fish that maxes out at 6" like a blue acara, which is more of a medium sized cichlid to me. But even then it's risky with an oscar due to you only having a 4 foot long tank.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Merry Christmas buddy! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas Sandz! - Taurus Happy birthday buddy! - KevinVA 
    Happy B-day!! - steeler1 Happy Bday bud!!! - Hardy85 Have a little cake and ..... - fishmommie .... beer.  Hope it was a good one. - fishmommie Happy Birthday!  Enjoy! - jeffs99dime 
    I'll drink to that! - steeler1 Enjoy! - Hardy85 This one's on me... - Slaphppy7 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Here's to good friends, and new fish! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I disagree just a tad with Rocksor - only two fish with cichlids generally creates an imbalance where one bullys the other. Having a solid group of dither and 3-4 fish IMO is essential to success. Fire mouth, blue acara, oscar, and a giant krib? Small flowerhorn?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandz View Post
    I disagree just a tad with Rocksor - only two fish with cichlids generally creates an imbalance where one bullys the other. Having a solid group of dither and 3-4 fish IMO is essential to success. Fire mouth, blue acara, oscar, and a giant krib? Small flowerhorn?
    It may or may not work. Adding an additional 2 medium cichlids for such a small foot print does not make it any easier in terms of aggression, and not certainly in terms of nitrate management.

I find that using aqadvisor tends to lead to overstocking, but in this case it does point out that having Oscar, FM, and blue acara makes the tank at 112% capacity in terms of territory space.

The best stocking is either a single Oscar or a single Oscar with a school of dither fish (like 6 silver dollars).

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's all about the individual fish with oscars, it could get bullied or it could be a bully, you don't know till you have them. What I'm playing with right now is 1 Oscar, one other rare 10"ish cichlid, and a couple smaller geo's. Raising them all up from baby's of course.

I think I'm just gonna start with the 450gph, they will be ridiculously over filtered until they grow up. As they get older I can add another one if I need to.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    That stocking can work as well... I would tend to send you over to Fishmommies group in a 90gal. 2 sevrum, a jurupari (which geophagus are totally in play here if you want), ebjd, had a large angel, congo, serpae, etc... I agree with the fact that some cichlid combo's are issues... I just see this working. If it doesnt, FJ knows how to sort out aggression the responsible way.

100% dithers + oscar works though. I agree with your suggestion, I just trust FJ's ability to work with the fish and the stocking suggestions are hardly over pugnatious.

(good plan FJ - you ninja'd me)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Sandz, yea my plan with the stocking is to sort of see how it works out. The really nice thing about these type of fish is they aren't hard to catch and are worth money to trade in lol.