· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Community tank with a kribensis?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a 55 gallon with only 1 bristlenose pleco and 7 silvertip tetras! I'm looking to make the aquarium a little more thrilling though and am willing to move the current fish in there if needed.

My lfs has kribensis at a reasonable price and I've been looking at them for a while. I've read a lot about them being rather violent when spawning, so I figured it would be easier to keep one and see how it does in the community 55 gallon I have. Are they still pretty active when they are all alone? What could go with the krib and others (any other semi-aggressive cichlids or maybe some gouramis)?

I do have a 20 gallon tank that could be converted to a krib tank if it is a horrible idea to include them in my 55 gallon community that I'm starting.

0 Not allowed!
    I recommend apistos over kribs to be honest, more colorful and from what I've heard not as bad during spawning.

Your options could be:
    Rams (bolivian or german blue)
    Apistos (cacatoides and borelli are two of the easier ones)
    Kribs

But I wouldn't recommend mixing them.

What about doing 1 pair of dwarf cichlid (3 types mentioned above) and 1 more school of a colorful fish

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    In a 55gal 1 krib or even a pair will be fine. I did fine with guppys and rainbows + a krib pair breeding. They are really pretty fish but you get the best of them in dark substrate and mating colors.

I think Bolivian rams though for the bang are the best bet. I would get a small school if it was me and do 6 of them. You will most likely end with a pair or two but they are going to be fine with 7 tetra and a pleco. Could up your #s in the school or add in a new school of say 10. Columbians come to mind... Also Rummy Nose.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    E-A-G-L-E-S!!!!

Hey man - Just visited Captain Nemo (not Natural Pets) Hidden Reef, Fish Factory, and Aquarium Center over the weekend and can tell you there are few good choices:

Fish Factory has gold rams, electric blue rams, kribs, and even an all white albino krib.They also have pairs of double red apisto agaszzi - AWESOME fish
    Captain Nemo has awesome colored GBRs and they are large

All have bolivians but I think the apistos are cooler (at $40 per pair)

You could also add a cool dwarf pleco (all have pretty cool plecos right now). King Tiger and Flyer at Captain Nemo; zebras and other more common ones at AC; Fish Factory has vampire and few others, and HR has adonis and some others too. Check them out

Aquarium Center has ton of striped cigar fish for $10 each.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with questions.
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just saw you live in Wisconsin....wooops. Saw the Eagles thing and threw me off.

Anyway, in my experience - Apistos were def the aggressors in tank. GBR's look great but prob most finicky with water conditions. I had the meanest krib of all time and quickly gave him away. Best to get a pair and since apistos are usually sold in pairs anyway, they get my vote. Good luck
    Check out my 55 Gallon, planted, Philly themed community tank! Rummynose and Cardinals, dwarf cichlids, plecos, shrimps

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Filly View Post
    E-A-G-L-E-S!!!!

Hey man - Just visited Captain Nemo (not Natural Pets) Hidden Reef, Fish Factory, and Aquarium Center over the weekend and can tell you there are few good choices:

Fish Factory has gold rams, electric blue rams, kribs, and even an all white albino krib.They also have pairs of double red apisto agaszzi - AWESOME fish
    Captain Nemo has awesome colored GBRs and they are large

All have bolivians but I think the apistos are cooler (at $40 per pair)

You could also add a cool dwarf pleco (all have pretty cool plecos right now). King Tiger and Flyer at Captain Nemo; zebras and other more common ones at AC; Fish Factory has vampire and few others, and HR has adonis and some others too. Check them out

Aquarium Center has ton of striped cigar fish for $10 each.

Good luck and feel free to contact me with questions.
    Not from Philly... :(

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    I recommend apistos over kribs to be honest, more colorful and from what I've heard not as bad during spawning.

Your options could be:
    Rams (bolivian or german blue)
    Apistos (cacatoides and borelli are two of the easier ones)
    Kribs

But I wouldn't recommend mixing them.

What about doing 1 pair of dwarf cichlid (3 types mentioned above) and 1 more school of a colorful fish
    My problems are...

None of the fish stores within 2 hr drive have apistos...

...and my water is probably too hard for the rams.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What could I put with a pair if I decided to get one? All I hear are stories of a mating pair that goes and terrorizes the tank (even in 55 gallons)? That is why I was leaning towards 1 krib which are normally discussed as being less aggressive alone with a community tank.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by justyn725 View Post
    What could I put with a pair if I decided to get one? All I hear are stories of a mating pair that goes and terrorizes the tank (even in 55 gallons)? That is why I was leaning towards 1 krib which are normally discussed as being less aggressive alone with a community tank.
    I had a krib.it was a very cool fish.I actually had it with a blue ram never had any problems.your tetras are quick enough to elude the krib and the bristlenose is big enough where I wouldn't be worried about it.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Krib aggression is alike to angels. You can get one krib that is just the easiest fish in the world or even a pair that isnt bad. You can also get one that will terrorize the tank. I have seen them kept with Malawi's before. I am potentially going to attempt that one day as I think they would look great together. This is what its like with all cichlids. They are semi-aggressive fish but just based on their size they are different classes.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's