· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Thank you for all the plant advice - showmebutterfly   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    for CO2 look into metricide 14, on ebay usually around $22 per gallon shipped

Throw away the small activator bottle (do not use it) and then dose anywhere from 1-3ml per 10g of water as need (start low and work your way up)

This is far cheaper than any other CO2 method in my opinion, and works well if you are consistent. Think 1g = 3785ml, if you are dosing 15ml per day that will last you 252 days (or 2/3 a yr).

So this method will cost $30/yr. I also recommend a plastic syringe and a glass mason jar (makes it easier than trying to dose with the 1g bottle)

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    M0rality is strictly an individually interpreted c0ncept, I w0uld n0t tell y0u that it is imm0ral. Just my 0wn personal preference, my friend, I w0uld want t0 provide the best c0nditi0ns suited f0r my critters t0 help ensure a happy l0ng life and the best c0l0rati0n, which is 0ne reas0n we ch00se certain fish 0ver 0thers. I'm n0t here t0 pass judgement 0n y0u f0r any reas0n (I'm in p0siti0n t0 judge any0ne f0r anything, I'm n0 better than any0ne else), just trying t0 be helpful, I w0uld like t0 see y0ur fish be as happy as y0u d0, truly s0rry if y0u t00k it offensively., that is never my intent.
    Oh no offense taken. I truly didn't know if raising fish then trading them in was frowned upon in the hobby. I appreciate all your insight from experience. Thank you.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The average size f0r the b0esemani is ar0und 3" but many d0 indeed get a bit bigger. They are g0rge0us and I have a pair myself- I had a 150 gall0n that blew 0ut 0n me and I had intended 0n getting 5 0r 6 m0re s0 they w0uld be happier but things happen. They aren't miserable th0, they are c0nstantly c0urting but they have n0thing t0 spawn in. I w0uld l0ve t0 breed them but I need a larger tank again bef0re I w0uld want them t0 be successful. If I am in a p0siti0n t0 let MTS set in, I might set up a specie tank f0r them- preferably s0mething 4 feet l0ng and 18 0r m0re inches wide. There are many beautiful types 0f rainb0ws t0 ch00se fr0m, but smaller 0nes in a 55 w0uld all0w f0r m0re st0ck. W0uld l0ve t0 see pictures 0f y0ur end results!
    Well that is certainly worth thinking about. Maybe I will just do more Australian or Eastern rainbows. I can't tell which one I have. There is a picture of him I posted if you mind taking a look? Thanks again for all your advice!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    for CO2 look into metricide 14, on ebay usually around $22 per gallon shipped

Throw away the small activator bottle (do not use it) and then dose anywhere from 1-3ml per 10g of water as need (start low and work your way up)

This is far cheaper than any other CO2 method in my opinion, and works well if you are consistent. Think 1g = 3785ml, if you are dosing 15ml per day that will last you 252 days (or 2/3 a yr).

So this method will cost $30/yr. I also recommend a plastic syringe and a glass mason jar (makes it easier than trying to dose with the 1g bottle)

Wow! This is the first I have heard of this. I read a little bit more about this method after reading your post. There are some people saying that it is not a good compound to add to an aquarium...and others who say its no different than excel. I just want to know if there is any truth to either claim? I don't want to harm my fish...but I know this is possible with injected co2 as well. Thanks for the new info! I hope you have a few more answers for me. :P

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Ms. Namazu   starting the round off - Hardy85   The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7   I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz   fishies - Hardy85   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rway View Post
    I can't tell which one I have. There is a picture of him I posted if you mind taking a look? Thanks again for all your advice!
    If I were pressed, I w0uld say that y0u have a variation 0f Melanotaenia Trifasciata (banded rainbowfish). Very pretty fish,they c0me in quite a few different variations. these can als0 get t0 be 5 inches. I'm n0t 100% sure, but that is my guess as t0 the species y0u have a picture 0f. Maybe s0me0ne else, with a bit m0re experience with them, will chime in and either confirm 0r deny it.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    If I were pressed, I w0uld say that y0u have a variation 0f Melanotaenia Trifasciata (banded rainbowfish). Very pretty fish,they c0me in quite a few different variations. these can als0 get t0 be 5 inches. I'm n0t 100% sure, but that is my guess as t0 the species y0u have a picture 0f. Maybe s0me0ne else, with a bit m0re experience with them, will chime in and either confirm 0r deny it.
    Well based on the google images i've seen, I think you are correct! It looks very similar. I wonder if mine will get a bigger spoon shape and more red on the fins. It is only about three inches right now. Thanks again for your insight!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7   pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie   Thank you for all the plant advice - showmebutterfly   Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! This is the first I have heard of this. I read a little bit more about this method after reading your post. There are some people saying that it is not a good compound to add to an aquarium...and others who say its no different than excel. I just want to know if there is any truth to either claim? I don't want to harm my fish...but I know this is possible with injected co2 as well. Thanks for the new info! I hope you have a few more answers for me. :P
    Few things, I can only speak from my experience, but I see no ill effect on my fish... But I could not recommend mixing types of CO2... too much can actually start to cause problems.

For types of rainbows you can look into praecox or even parvas (bit more expensive since tougher to find)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Ms. Namazu   starting the round off - Hardy85   The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7   I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz   fishies - Hardy85   

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder if mine will get a bigger spoon shape and more red on the fins. It is only about three inches right now. Thanks again for your insight!
    Again ; At that size it isn't a juvenile , I will g0 0ut 0n a limb and say that y0u probably have a female. In rainbows the little girls are generally n0t quite as radiant and the males develop the deep chest that makes their head l00k t00 small f0r the fish. And I believe that in a male the 2 sections 0f the dorsal fin are nearer t0 the same size.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. Thanks for the help on the Rainbows fellas. I have never ordered fish online before, just plants. I know some fish have a certain male\female ratio and I was wondering...when you order a group of fish online, do they know/automatically use that ratio? For instance, say I ordered 5 german blue rams..would they send me 3-4 females and 1-2 males? Or do they just throw random fish in the bag? Thanks again for helping me out with this tank guys! These 55 gallon water changes are much more work than my 20g! It's been fun though. Should be fully cycled very soon.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot to ask about my 10k bulbs too! I will eventually replace them with the lower k rating but are they going to help my plants at all until then? I have been doing shorter photo periods 5-6 hours since my lighting is a bit much. Thanks!