· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cool New 55g, Help Please

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Everyone,

Just joined!!! I have been using these forums for a while but finally decided to get some direct advice! I have had a 20 gallon Low tech tank for about a year now. It has been a blast and I got everything perfectly balanced. I finally got a 55 Gallon tank on sale and just set it up a few days ago.

Tank Specs:

55 Gallon Tank
    Odyssea Quad T5HO w/timer (stock bulbs-2x 10k 54w, 2x actenic blue 54w)
    Penguin 350 (70g)
    Tetra Whisper EX30 (30g)
    Aqueon 150w heater (1 at the moment)
    5 x 12 lb Caribsea Floramax Midnight Substrate
    1 x 15 lb Seachem Flourite Black Sand Substrate
    Driftwood, River Rocks added

Current Plants:
    2x amazon swords
    1x Melon sword
    1x micro amazon sword
    4x small potted babytears
    4x italian/jungle val
    3x lidwigia
    2x anubis
    2x wisteria
    2x rotala indica
    2x colombo crimson
    *I'm going to add some more background plants as well as java-fern to the driftwood eventually

So after running the tank for a couple of days I took the Tetra EX30 off of my 20g and put it on the 55g, as well as swapping the Penguin 350 cartridge and biowheel with the penguin 200 on my 20g. I then added an Australian Rainbow fish a few hours later. I was told/read that by adding the existing cycled fiters/media that I could go ahead and add a few fish. I just got my lights and set them up last night. I plan on just running the 2 x 10k bulbs for 6-8 hours a day. I am Dosing Seachem's Flourish Complete(few times a week) and API CO2 Booster(daily). I basically am looking for any advice on Lighting, Dosing, livestock etc. I want to add a school of Rainbows, Harlequin Rasboras, Denison Barbs, SAE, Otos and maybe a bristle-nose pleco. I just spent a lot of money on the set up so it could be a while before I get all my fish. I'm trying to avoid CO2 for a while.(it seems confusing and expensive/risky) But I do love heavily planted tanks. Any advice is appreciated.

55 Gallon
    9339384580_1c0b99b44f_c.jpg
    9336700915_493a2bbbc3_c.jpg

20 Gallon
    9336778939_2b68ea23d2_c.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Asides from being fairly inefficient, running such a large tank on liquid CO2 additives is quite uneconomical. I would suggest either going with CO2 gas injection(either pressurized or DIY) or a low light crypt tank with java fern, anubias, mosses, hornwort, vallisneria and other plants that tolerate such conditions. For plants, you will have to replace your light bulbs. 10 k or blue bulbs are for marine or rift lake applications. They are the wrong color temperature for plants and if used will give you an algae farm. Look for bulbs that are 6000-7000k instead.

As for your stock, I am pretty sure denisonii barbs get too big and active for a 55 gallon. You also are planning on having a lot of algae eaters and if you decide to get all, supplemental feeding may be required as they may not find enough food in the tank alone.

CO2 really isn't that complicated. I know how it feels because I used to feel exactly the same a while back. You could start out with a DIY system first to get a grasp of things. Your plants will appreciate it and of the plants you listed, all swords, baby tear, ludwigia and rotala will not thrive without it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rway View Post
    H. I want to add a school of Rainbows, Harlequin Rasboras, Denison Barbs, SAE, Otos and maybe a bristle-nose pleco. I just spent a lot of money on the set up so it could be a while before I get all my fish. I'm trying to avoid CO2 for a while.(it seems confusing and expensive/risky) But I do love heavily planted tanks. Any advice is appreciated.
    I think your lights are too high in the spectrum for optimal plant growth, there's a severe risk of an algae farm here. You could do liquid CO2 but buy the biggest size they got, more economical. In the end despite the investment on a regulator pressurized CO2 will be cheaper and yield better results.

Denisons like it cooler and they love flow. Most rainbows like harder water than the rest.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice guys! I know I need to get a CO2 system to enjoy the high planted tank I want. I guess I'll have to start with a DIY co2. I spent so much money all at once to get this tank going. The girlfriend isn't happy, so I'll have to wait a bit before I can buy the pressurized system. I have been told I need a canister filter as well. Even more money. I need a new 6700k bulb and 6500k bulb first. As far as Denisons and Rainbows...are you saying they are incompatible? I always thought they where good community fish. Thanks again for any and all help!

0 Not allowed!
    Not incompatible in behavior. Just that denisonii like the temperature a bit cooler than rainbows and will need a larger tank to thrive. Behavior wise both are good fish for a robust community.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh ok. Hmmm, I might just keep them until they get too big and then swap them out at the LFS for smaller ones. I like that our LFS will give you store credit for fish and plants. Hopefully I can breed some fish and raise some plants to help pay for my co2/bulbs/canister filter :P

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't say that y0u "need" a canister, but they are m0re effective. I like denisonii barbs as well but I wouldn't buy a fish wh0's needs aren't met, as said already they d0 best in a tank with current, which makes f0r higher levels 0f dissolved oxygen in the water. The rainbows are typically very active fish and will add a l0t 0f m0vement. Which type 0f rainb0ws d0 y0u have y0ur eye 0n? Y0u might be best if y0u g0t a smaller breed, like dwarf rainb0ws in a 55g. They need a minimum 0f 4 feet t0 run in, a 55 gives y0u that but it is still 0ne 0f the smaller tanks due t0 its width (13" ish). B0esemani's are capable 0f reaching sizes up t0 5 inches each, and with a sch00l 0f them it will get tight quick as they gr0w.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I wouldn't say that y0u "need" a canister, but they are m0re effective. I like denisonii barbs as well but I wouldn't buy a fish wh0's needs aren't met, as said already they d0 best in a tank with current, which makes f0r higher levels 0f dissolved oxygen in the water. The rainbows are typically very active fish and will add a l0t 0f m0vement. Which type 0f rainb0ws d0 y0u have y0ur eye 0n? Y0u might be best if y0u g0t a smaller breed, like dwarf rainb0ws in a 55g. They need a minimum 0f 4 feet t0 run in, a 55 gives y0u that but it is still 0ne 0f the smaller tanks due t0 its width (13" ish). B0esemani's are capable 0f reaching sizes up t0 5 inches each, and with a sch00l 0f them it will get tight quick as they gr0w.
    So it's unmoral to buy a fish and when it gets larger, sell it back to LFS? I was looking at getting the Boesemani Rainbows. I was going off of the http://www.liveaquaria.com/ information. So I figured at 3" I could have a happy school of them in my 55g. I have seen some really large ones at the LFS though. Right now I have either a Axelrodi Rainbow or Eastern Rainbow in there, so maybe I will just have a school of those guys.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    M0rality is strictly an individually interpreted c0ncept, I w0uld n0t tell y0u that it is imm0ral. Just my 0wn personal preference, my friend, I w0uld want t0 provide the best c0nditi0ns suited f0r my critters t0 help ensure a happy l0ng life and the best c0l0rati0n, which is 0ne reas0n we ch00se certain fish 0ver 0thers. I'm n0t here t0 pass judgement 0n y0u f0r any reas0n (I'm in p0siti0n t0 judge any0ne f0r anything, I'm n0 better than any0ne else), just trying t0 be helpful, I w0uld like t0 see y0ur fish be as happy as y0u d0, truly s0rry if y0u t00k it offensively., that is never my intent.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    The average size f0r the b0esemani is ar0und 3" but many d0 indeed get a bit bigger. They are g0rge0us and I have a pair myself- I had a 150 gall0n that blew 0ut 0n me and I had intended 0n getting 5 0r 6 m0re s0 they w0uld be happier but things happen. They aren't miserable th0, they are c0nstantly c0urting but they have n0thing t0 spawn in. I w0uld l0ve t0 breed them but I need a larger tank again bef0re I w0uld want them t0 be successful. If I am in a p0siti0n t0 let MTS set in, I might set up a specie tank f0r them- preferably s0mething 4 feet l0ng and 18 0r m0re inches wide. There are many beautiful types 0f rainb0ws t0 ch00se fr0m, but smaller 0nes in a 55 w0uld all0w f0r m0re st0ck. W0uld l0ve t0 see pictures 0f y0ur end results!