· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Planting question....

0 Not allowed!
    This may be a stupid question but it's worth asking.....in my tank I have regular substrate, looks like natural rocks. Anyway, can I just put in some real plants in my tank or do I need to add/change something in order to have real plants? I ask because my brother has a similar tank as I do just that he has fine sand in his tank and he added real plants from a lake next to his house (lives in Miami) and they have been thriving apparently without doing anything else to his tank besides adding the plants.
    37 Gallon Community: (2)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (3) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (3) Serpae Tetra (2) Marci Rainbow (2) Gold Dust Molly (8) Plants

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's a question with an extremely long answer. The type of plants you want to add, the type of lights, water, ferts, all of these are variables that need answering first. Your substrate is probably the least important part of a planted tank.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    Plants need nutrients. Your brother's tank has apparently enough nutrients in the water. Personally I'd advice you to use a few seachem root tabs.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I want a couple of like easy "starter" plants. I have a 20g tall.
    Personally I'd advice you to use a few seachem root tabs.
    what are root tabs?
    37 Gallon Community: (2)Diamond Tetra (1) Bushy Nose Pleco (3) Silvertip Tetra (5) rummy nose tetra (1) "fancy" angel (3) Serpae Tetra (2) Marci Rainbow (2) Gold Dust Molly (8) Plants

0 Not allowed!
    Then get some starter plants and see what they do.
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...urishTabs.html are root tabs. You can add these later.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can also get some driftwood with some Anubias plants already attached to it from the pet store usually. They have them in their tanks and might not advertise it but if you ask they should sell it to ya. These plants don't need their roots to be buried in substrate. Java Fern is another good one. These you can usually grow with stock lighting as well. (the light that came in your hood) You might just grab a bottle of Flourish Complete or Excel to give them a boost once-twice a week. Planted tanks are the way to go! Good luck and post a picture for us once you get it set up!

0 Not allowed!
    Some easy growing plants are fine just stuck in the gravel. I have only silica sand and though my tank is still new the plants seem to be doing just fine. I have a val, a crypt and rotala. Also have some Christmas moss that attaches to rock. Anubias can be attached to wood or rocks as well.
    Don't poke the crazy

0 Not allowed!
    Anubias and java fern are indeed easy plants. They should be attached to some kind of decor, and it's easy to attach a plant with some fishing line, need little additional nutrients and are not very demanding in lights. On the other hand, they're relatively slow growers.

At the other end of the spectrum we have the amazon swords or echinodorus in latin. They need to be planted in the substrate and are heavy root feeders that need nutrients like the seachem tabs I mentioned. Give them that and chose a simple one like Echinodorus bleheri for example and it should do well with standard lights.

In any case, try to figure out what species you buy and what the size is going to be. Echinodorus bleheri gets big so it's best used in the back of the tank. A small anubias like Anubias nanae works well almost anywhere in the tank.