· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Pink Kisser/Ropefish/Pleco compatibility

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I've had a 55 gallon fresh water aquarium set up going on 7 years. It has gone through various amounts and species of community fish but has had an African ropefish and a large pink kissing gourami exclusively for almost four years now. I also have a ten gallon that I inherited which has a pleco that is getting far too large for it, as I knew it would eventually. After testing the water in the 55g the only things I could find off were fairly high nitrates and rather hard water. I've replaced/upgraded my filtration media and am now running one Penguin-Bio Wheel 55/75 with aged and colonized bio-wheels, one Tetra Whisper EX 55/75 and done a few 10% changes in the last few weeks. My tank stays at around 76 degrees. The last thing I want to do is throw off the balance of my 55g and disturb my kisser and my ropefish after so many years without issue. Would this pleco, which is at least 7 or 8 inches, be a poor addition to the tank? I ask because I know they can become territorial with age and I don't want it to quarrel with my ropefish for cave space as she is completely docile and reclusive.

0 Not allowed!
    The answer could also depend on the personality of your reedfish and the type of pleco we are talking about here.

I've kept reedfish and BN plecos together before in a 55 gallon tank without issue. With plenty of hiding spots for both, it would be worth a try IMO.

If you are having higher nitrate levels, trying increasing the amount of weekly water changes. A 10% water change will not effect your nitrate levels too much
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The pleco wasn't purchased by me so I'm not sure of the exact kind but based in relation to the appearance of the ones we sell it work, it looks to be a "common pleco." I'll increase to 25% and see if that helps. I've developed quite the algae problem in my 55g tank as a result of the nitrate levels and was hoping to solve two problems at once by moving the pleco by a.) giving him a proper home, and b.) trying to control my algae.

Thanks for the input!

0 Not allowed!
    If you are having algae problems due to nitrates, then I would suggest even more than a 25% weekly water change, something close to 75% maybe.

The reason why I would recommend that is if you have a bad algae problem, then your set-up is actually producing more nitrates than what your test kit is measuring. The algae will remove nitrates almost instantly from the water, so if you still have high nitrate with a lot of algae, then your set-up is creating a lot more nitrates than you may realize. This is very similar concept to how the beneficial bacteria in your filter will instantly remove ammonia and nitrites from your water.

What is your normal maintenance routine like and what else to you have in this tank? What type of lighting do you have and how long are these lights on ? Also, how much and hoe often do you feed the tank ?

I would also suggest starting to think about finding the common pleco a new home. He will outgrow your tank in time.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tropical flakes and one frozen blood worm ball once every day, weekly 10-15% water changes, tank wall scrubbing (which doesn't really seem to do much and freaks me out because so much algae debris goes everywhere in the water), and the light is a 32W CORALIFE Actinic Fluorescent Lamp that runs pretty much all the time. I try to turn it off at night but other people in the house insist on keeping it on all the time. I'm thinking this is probably a fairly large contributing factor to the algae build up.

The sound of a 75% water change all at once makes me a little nervous. Is it safe for the balance of the tank? I'm sure you know what you're talking about, it isn't that, I've just never done more than a 30% in fear of throwing off the balance of my tank and seriously stressing out my fish.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are worried, then you could try working your up to a 75% water change then. Do a 10% today, 20% tomorrow, 30% the next day...... and so on until you get to 75%. then complete a 75% weekly water change from that point on and see how things go. Water changes (when done correctly) don't harm the tank or your fish

The actinic lighting is meant for marine aquariums and has a very blue color tone. Blue color tones promote algae growth in fresh water aquariums. As it looks like you have plants in there, try a fresh water bulb in the 6500K or 6700K color spectrum. Also, not turning off your lights can add some stress to you fish. Maybe try using a timer and limit the lighting period to around 10 hours

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the input! I had no idea that the actinic promoted algae growth or was meant for marine aquariums.