· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Another question...this time about carbon and admitting my stupidity

0 Not allowed!
    I've been doing some more reading and I see that not everyone is thrilled with the use of carbon. I checked the filter that came with my tank (TopFin20) and it has a 3 in 1 filter which lists physical, chemical, and biological filtering. When I actually READ the information on the filter it showed that the chemical was carbon and the biological was simply the foam (which was apparently lost in the setting up of the filter) which would allow BB to grow on it. So, I have a filter without the foam which is supposed to grow the BB and the biobag which is just carbon. Could this be the reason my tank hasn't started cycling (other than my stupidity). Should I remove the "bio/carbon" filter and simply get one of those bags and fill with biobeads and a piece of foam cut to size? I am sincerely sorry for bothering you guys when apparently I should have read the filter information. With my pond, I simply have a pump/filter with biobeads and a UV light for the comets & they are easy.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yep, thats exactly why your tank isn't cycling. BB won't grow on carbon. You don't want to use carbon when your cycling anyway because it can suck up ammonia and stuff. Those kit filters really aren't very good, if I were you i'd grab an aquaclear 50, much better bio filtration and easier to maintain. They're usually pretty cheap at petsmart or petco for members.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above, I would also suggest the most bio filter media you can put in that filter, or up-grade your filter if your budget allows for that

Using carbon does have it's place. Most of us just use it when we want to remove something from our water, like meds. I have not needed carbon in my tanks for years
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if my local Petsmart has Aquaclear 50 but I will look. Do I get a "50" if I have a 20 gallon tank? I think they have Fluval C series. Is the Acquaclear better than fluval?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, you always want to at least double whatever they are rated for. You can always lower the flow, what you need is the bio capacity. The aqualclear and the fluval filter about the same. The only difference and the reason we all prefer aquaclear is it's basically a big open tub which leaves us to use whatever media we want. Where as something like a fluval requires that you buy their filters I believe.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I went to Petsmart and they did not have the Aquaclear so I will need to order it online which is no problem. In the meantime, I removed the carbon filter and bought a plain piece of foam and a fuval biobag 50 (which they did have a petsmart) and put those in my filter in the meantime after I did my 1/2 tank water change.....hoping this works! Thanks for your help!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalJenemba View Post
    Yep, thats exactly why your tank isn't cycling. BB won't grow on carbon.
    Do you have a source for that claim? I've always heard opposite. Looking at carbon structure under a microscope does show a good surface area. http://aem.asm.org/content/44/2/471.full.pdf and http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...93331808616537 seems to support my opinion that nitrobacter can grow well on carbon.

0 Not allowed!
    I was kinda looking forward to a discussion here.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i was thinking the saaame thing talldutchie. BB grows on everything. Certain things are better because they have a better surface area. That's bio media in a nutshell.. right?
    150g Malawi + Cuckoo cats
    45g Community - Pearl Gouramis, Tetras and Crayfish

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Activated Carbon has immense surface area f0r it's relative size due t0 it's p0r0us structure. I cycled my 150 gallon using my DIY canister filter loaded with 6 large bags 0f carb0n, fl0ss, f0am and ceramic rings, never a hitch. Carb0n will h0ld BB as well as any 0ther bi0 media, It d0esn't make things like meds, other pollutants and BB disappear it traps them. It will als0 trap the amm0nia were the BB is living and therefore will help cycle the tank. My friend cycled his tank with n0thing but carb0n until he c0uld aff0rd a sec0nd filter which he ran f0r a m0nth after the fish were added bef0re rem0ving the carb0n 0nly filter- again never a hiccup. N0t saying y0u HAVE t0 have it, but the 0nly harm it d0es is if y0u need meds in the water the carb0n will pull it.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!