· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Bonded pair of discus in a 200L bow-front? Do-able?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,

Some of you may have seen this question in the 'Introduce yourself' forum where the general consensus was no, but I'm reposting it here to see if anyone has different experience.

I'm not quite a beginner though I'm still learning a lot, this is my 4th tank and the first time I've seriously considered discus. It's a juwel vision 180, dimensions are
    92L x 55H x 41D (cm) and it has a bow-front, so it's around 200L+.
    The filter is a juwel bioflo 3.0.

I know 200+L is pushing it, so I'd probably just have them and some dither fish to keep bioload as low as possible.
    The tank isn't cycled yet - it's not even set up - but I'm happy to wait as long as needed to ensure stability for any fish. The fish I'm looking at in particular are a bonded pair (1 super red map, 1 turquoise) that live in the display tank in the shop where I work. They lay eggs very often and guard them really well, but every time the eggs/fry are eaten by other fish within 2-3 days.

If anyone has experience keeping discus in smaller sized tanks, or as pairs rather than large groups, your opinion would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks muchly,
    Erica :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just as a quick reference for those here in the states the vision 180 is basically a standard 46g bowfront, 36x15x20. I still stand by my original advice in the other thread, it just seems a little tight to me, you'd really have to be all over the water changes.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

0 Not allowed!
    I have never kept discus before, but based on what I have read, you would need at least a 75 gallon tank (around 300 Liters) to keep them (48 inches X 18 inches X 20 inches, or 122cm X 46cm X 50 cm). Most people give that recommendation based on the size of the fish as well as the need to keep the water in pristine condition which is a lot easier to achieve in a larger tank.

Hopefully a few of the discus keepers here can confirm this for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again, I'll take your advice and stick with my current tropicals :)
    Cheers for the reference Jenemba, that will be useful as I get a bit lost reading the american forums sometimes!

Erica

0 Not allowed!
    Know that feeling! Gallons and inches are always an effort for me.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Well I hate to come in late and spoil the party. Most breeding pairs are kept in 29gal tanks. Mine are currently housed in them as well. The fish as a mated pair would do just fine with a group of dithers in a tank. The main consideration for you is their current size. Planted tanks generally dont allow the fish to reach their potential in size. usually around an inch to two difference. If you are planning on planting the tank and having your dithers, 3x weekly water changes of 50% would be fine to keep these fish. The dither fish though will eat the fry so if you are looking at breeding for any purpose, you will have issues in this community setting.

If the fish were not mated, I would not suggest this but speaking on a specific mated pair, they will do fine.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's interesting about the plants, Sandz, and just as well you mention it because I was meaning for it to be planted. I think for now I'll make it a planted tropical community and leave discus for when I'm not limited by a water tank (living rurally just now). Definitely going to get one of these beauties once it's matured, http://www.trademe.co.nz/pets-animal...-618552602.htm I've never seen zebra plecos before. Gorgeous! Thanks again fir the advice guys :)