· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default 2.5 Gallon Shrimp Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Well for a really long time I've wanted to set up a shrimp tank. I wanted to go get myself a 5+ gallon tank probably a fluval but with money constraints I decided to use a 2.5 "goldfish" tank I bought years ago when I was younger and ignorant of how to keep fish.

Atm its in my kitchen sink being sterilized.

I'm not sure what filter I'm going to use. I found an old 10 gallon HOB Tetra whisper filter but its really bulky and takes up a lot of room in the tank. I have a really old HOB down in my basement though. I have no idea what kind or even if it runs. I'll get it later tonight and try and see what it is and if its salvageable. If not I'll just grab a cheap 10-20 HOB from WalMart when I go tomorrow.

Atm the tank is going to have to be made up of low light plants as the hood for my tank is only rated for 15 watts. If I can find a cheap, good looking light that can handle more wattage I'll get it. Or do you guys believe 15 watts will suffice for a 2.5 gallon?

I'm not sure what stocking is going to be. I'd like to get some sort of micro-fish species such as Phoenix Rasbora but if not shrimp will be the only inhabitants. I'm not sure what shrimp species I'm going to get but I know I'm not going to get cherry or crystal red, they're bland and boring. Maybe Tiger Shrimp or Harlequin Shrimp. If I can find some nice, cheap Harlequins I'll get them.

What do you guys think? Do you got any weird, gorgeous shrimp species recommendations? Or any fish recommendations?
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    After further consideration I've decided not to go with Harlequins or Tigers as both get too large, are too expensive, and are a pain to find.

I've found a few other options.

Rili Shrimp
    Sunkist Shrimp
    Dwarf Zebra Shrimp
    Cherry Shrimp

I still have no idea what I'm going to pick. I'm trying to find a smaller species, under and inch, that has colors that attract my eye and a price that's not overly demanding.

0 Not allowed!
    For a small 2.5g tank you could go with an azoo hob filter, it would work well on a tank that size. What I tend to use on my small tanks are sponge filters that are run off of air pumps. For a 2.5g tank you can get a small sponge filter that will suction cup to the back of the tank. Works well with shrimp. The sponge filter will act as a good biological filter, also the sponge will provide a good source of microflora for the shrimp to feed on. You can pick up a cheap sponge filter on ebay for about $2-3. If you end up going with a hob filter, you'll want to put a sponge or mesh over the filter intake to avoid shrimp getting sucked up into the filter and getting turned into mush by the filter impeller.

The lighting you mentioned 15watts should be more than plenty for a 2.5g tank. I think you would fine with low to medium light plants.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thank you so much. I just think I'm going to go with a HOB filter from walmart. I don't mind having it over-filtered. I'll be sure to have a sponge for the intake though. And would high light plants be able to thrive in a 2.5 with 15 watts of light? I was looking to get baby tears or some other high-light, carpeting plant.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I would think high-light plants would do fine in your tank. That's 6 WPG, and it's likely to be a shallower tank. :) I just wouldn't do any species of cryptocoryne--they don't do well with high light.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I wasn't thinking of doing crypts anyways as most species would be much too large for this tank. The tank is only about 8-10 inches deep and its footprint is very tiny. I was thinking of doing dwarf baby tears and a few other plants. I want something tall for the background. I was thinking maybe Val. The tank is honestly pretty tiny. So I was going to go for a carpet of baby tears with a few small stones, and some type of small driftwood, probably manzanita.

I mean I like the look of most Crypts but they're just too big. I might go with micro-swords or perhaps dwarf sag. I have no idea. Atm I just need to get a filter so the tank can be set up.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure about this idea but; over on another forum I've read a lot of people doing filter less tanks and stuffing them with plants to do the filtration for them. On a normal tank I don't like the idea but a tank of this size with only shrimp I could see the idea working pretty well. With shrimp having almost no bio load I think it could work if you had enough plants.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Well that's if I only do shrimp. I might also add a small school of micro-fish or a betta or something I haven't decided.

However can someone recommend a light that's 15 watts or less that would work well for my 2.5 gallon? It needs to be a screw-in bulb.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wouldn't do a betta or micro fish in my opinion 2.5 gallons isn't enough room for anything other then shrimp.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe you're right. idk.. I've kept betta in it before.. They seemed happy? I'm not too sure. Maybe I will just do shrimp