· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default confused about fertilizing

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 25 gallon dirtied freshwater aquarium. the lighting that i'm running with this tank is one T5 HO Flora Sun Max Plant Growth 24 watt bulb 5000k and T5 HO Zoo Med Ultra Sun Trichormatic 24 watt bulb 6500k. I also am using a diy co2 set up for this aquarium.
    the plants that i have are:
    Amazon swords
    jungle val
    dwarf sag
    onion plants
    Ludwigia
    Dwarf hairgrass
    star grass

My issues is i'm not sure what i fertilizers i should use, how much or how often i should be dosing. I'm also having a slight problem with green algae covering the glass on my aquarium.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How long have all of those plants been in the tank? Something is wrong if the algae is getting enough nutrients from the water. Those plants should starve the algae and keep it from wanting to grow. If you have enough nutrients in the water for algae, you shouldn't need ferts. Also, what fish, if any, are in the tank?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the plants have been in this tank for about 3 months. but these same plants have been in a previous tank that unfortunately leaked and i had to trash.so i transferred those plants into this new tank. the fish that i have in the tank are
    -large angelfish
    -4 platys
    -2 cory cats
    -2 red eyed tetras
    -one 2 inch bristled nosed pleco (added him to try to cut back on the algae)
    -10 baby platys in a floating breeder box (they are only a week and a half old)

0 Not allowed!
    Determnining a fertilizer regimen depends on observation. What's groing, what's not and how. In your case you're obviously a little short of phosphorous otherwise you wouldn't have the greenspot

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Are you having trouble getting your plants to grow? Why are you looking to get fertilizers? The only reason why algae would grow without you putting too much food in the tank for the plants to clean up would be if you left the light on for too long. I have an issue on the end of my 55g. tank that is in the process of being planted that has brown algae, and it gets direct sunlight for about 2 hrs each day. My one plant now is on that end, and I plan to fill the tank with plants, and hopefully keep that under control.
    Also, what are you feeding your fish? The platys, cats, and tetras don't matter, however the Angel is a Cichlid, and can produce excess waste when it is forced to digest regular trop. fish food. It will eat more and poop more.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    If i remember corectly all those plants are very heavy root feeders, that dwarf sag might out compete those grasses. You need a general root tab for those plants. You can look into osmoscote (or something like that) tabs, its a good fertlizer and many people fill pill caps with it and use it as a root tab.
    You shouldnt have to add any liquid ferts for those plants, that would feed the algae.

Another point is your 5000k bulb. Thats not doing much for your plants, consider switching to a 6500k.

Its a miss understood statement that algae needs excess nutrients to grow, yes its true but not what many people belive. Just because you have algae doesnt mean you dont need ferts, as td mentioned, you have an imbalance in nutrients. Do you have the soil capped at all? If not its possible the soil is leaching nutrients into the tank causing the algae problem. You might want to consoder a half inch gravle/sand cap if its not allready capped.

Be carful not to disturb your soil too much when you root tab as well.

Do you have a drop checker in the tank to monitor how much co2 is being absorbed in the tank?

You might want to consider throwing in a column feeding plant to suck up some of that nutrients before the algae. Mosses are great, floaters are ok but might cut your lighting down under them. Hornwort would likely out compete all the plants you have for column nutrients (not sure myself of thats what you need/want).

Last question for you, how long are you leaving these lights on for? To be perfectly honset i used to do 10hrs a day, but found i had bad algae problems, cut back all the way to 7 hrs and the algae is vanishing and the plants are still doing fine. Just a tip...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefacorn View Post
    Are you having trouble getting your plants to grow? Why are you looking to get fertilizers? The only reason why algae would grow without you putting too much food in the tank for the plants to clean up would be if you left the light on for too long.
    No, you're wrong there. It's perfectly possible to get algae from nutrients shortage.

Also, what are you feeding your fish? The platys, cats, and tetras don't matter, however the Angel is a Cichlid, and can produce excess waste when it is forced to digest regular trop. fish food. It will eat more and poop more.
    And this is pretty much irrelevant and untrue as well.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was just going off of my personal experience. With the algae, I've never had an issue with it unless I was overfeeding. Even then, it's always been hard, I just really like to overdo it when it comes to filtration.
    And I do know that my Angels have always preferred Cichlid food to regular trop. fish food. they would eat less, poop less, and grow more.
    In either case, I apologize for giving misinformation, I'm simply passing on what has always been the case for me.

0 Not allowed!
    It's perfectly possible to get more algae when you overfeed. However adding extra nutrients, probably potassium in this case, would allow the plants to use the nitrate and phosphate from the food and largely starve the algae.