· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    @gronlaura: the research itself can be addictive! I love learning all this stuff, specially when I understand enough of something to make a choice I feel comfortable with. I'm also traveling a lot this month so I cannot set up my tank yet, which means all I can do for now is read, read, and read some more! It will hopefully let me hit the ground running (or should I say hit the water swimming?) When I do finally start in August.

@slaphppy: the tetra I was looking at was the black skirt tetra. I wouldn't say it likes "hard" water, just that likes water somewhat harder than my tap water. The tetra likes water harder than 8dH, which is harder than what I have.

@hardy85: this is amazing info. I have spent some time going over all the links you sent me earlier and taking lots of notes. I'm starting to form an idea of the stocking I will have. Definitely endlers and the cories. I'm still deciding on what else, as I'm trying to read up on all the options so I understand them well before deciding to put them in the tank. Originally I had shied away from a biotope-type tank because I thought it would be beyond my abilities, but all the info you have given me makes it sound well within my reach. The fact most of the plants are low light means I can even do it with my"low tech" setup with no need to upgrade my lighting or use CO2. Thank you for this amazing info! You literally opened up a world of possibilities I had ignored until now. Having a home-themed tank would be awesome!

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie 
    It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    @gronlaura: the research itself can be addictive! I love learning all this stuff, specially when I understand enough of something to make a choice I feel comfortable with. I'm also traveling a lot this month so I cannot set up my tank yet, which means all I can do for now is read, read, and read some more! It will hopefully let me hit the ground running (or should I say hit the water swimming?) When I do finally start in August.
    I also read every book on freshwater aquariums in my local library, about 30-40 books. I checked out several online forums and decided the AC was the forum I wanted to join and be a part of. Then I really started learning!
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin and Regular Fin Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank (still cycling) - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post
    @hardy85: this is amazing info. I have spent some time going over all the links you sent me earlier and taking lots of notes. I'm starting to form an idea of the stocking I will have. Definitely endlers and the cories. I'm still deciding on what else, as I'm trying to read up on all the options so I understand them well before deciding to put them in the tank. Originally I had shied away from a biotope-type tank because I thought it would be beyond my abilities, but all the info you have given me makes it sound well within my reach. The fact most of the plants are low light means I can even do it with my"low tech" setup with no need to upgrade my lighting or use CO2. Thank you for this amazing info! You literally opened up a world of possibilities I had ignored until now. Having a home-themed tank would be awesome!
    IMO South American Bio-topes are not too difficult (at least when it comes to fish), plants are a tad tougher

0 Not allowed!
    I also checked a number of forums and quickly settled here. The people seem very friendly and incredibly knowledgeable. The vision for my tank has changed dramatically from the great feedback I have received here. It went from a 10g with nothing but gravel and a few tetras to a 29g planted biotope! A month ago I did not even know what a "29g planted biotope" meant!

0 Not allowed!
    its call MTS... multiple tank syndrome.. and sounds like you are starting to develop a case of it. I was diagnosed in feb with it...

still no cure, an angry significant other seems to slow it a bit... but not for very long

0 Not allowed!
    Lol...I have read about mts. I think I will catch it quickly, along with my son. I haven't even set up my first tank yet, and he is already planning to rearrange our basement to make space for when we get our "big" tank!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    MTS is extremely c0ntagi0us, I think it is in the air and small amounts 0f exposure can trigger rapid onset. It is right up there Yersinia Pestis (bub0nic plague) the excepti0n- it is painful 0nly t0 th0se ar0und y0u.
    Y0u are pr0gressing at a fair clip with y0ur kn0wledge and eagerness t0 learn, I am guessing y0u will be in the last stages very s00n, luckily it isn't terminal alth0ugh it isn't curable either, s0rry, the pr0gn0sis is delightful!!
    Fish aren't unlimited in their adaptability t0 water chemistry but y0u mainly need t0 w0rry ab0ut water f0r wild caught specimens and sensitive breeds like discus and 0tt0s. but f0r the m0st part many fish will be fine. SA's like s0ft acidic water the best- my water has a pH in tank 0f ab0ut 6.6 but 0ur tap water is super hard. My SA's are d0ing just fine.
    Keep up the g00d w0rk, it will pay 0ff!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the encouragement... I can see why MTS is so contagious. For me, at least, the research and planning for the tank is lots of fun. I can see why you want to start again with a new one as soon as the "okd; tank is set up!

0 Not allowed!
    have you seen my Tanks Tanks Tanks Journal... thats my plan lol

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    have you seen my Tanks Tanks Tanks Journal... thats my plan lol
    L0L, w0rst case 0f MTS I have encountered, yet, in my limited experience, if it is ever f0und t0 be fatal- y0u my friend P00CHED!!
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!