· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 230 of 231 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231 LastLast
Results 2,291 to 2,300 of 2301

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with wok firewalls?
    I need to find a good quality wok, stir-fry can be quite delicious.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    C'mon, that was an easy fix!
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

My fish say Thank You - KoryKat   Thanks for the Rep ;-) - steeler58   Enjoy your weekend my friend - Taurus   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   Happy Belated Birthday! - Silbar   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady   

0 Not allowed!

Couldn't resist this time

Maybe it was a firewall, who knows, but everything looks fine now...it does this every once in a while...as long as I can still function on the site, it's really no big deal, but still strange
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went” - Will Rogers

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I didn't have any issues here at work and we have a pretty secure network. We are a financial institution so we have lots of security measures in place with lots of websites blocked. I'm actually surprised this forum isn't automatically flagged and blocked.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That was fun! I'm going to start pinging all the forums I go to haha

What are some other nifty commands that we can play around with?
    LOL try tracert aquaticcommunity.com

It will show all the servers your content has to go through to travel from your computer to the forum. Some servers are set to NOT respond to tracert commands, so some steps might be missing, but you should still see most of them. The first one is your home router, the last one is the forum's server.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    The problem occurs for me from home and not at work. Weird considering that work is more secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    And get this...the forum looks like it should now!...here at work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boundava View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with wok firewalls?
    Yes, firewalls is one option, but I don't think that's the issue because the website worked well in the past. To check, add the ip address from the ping command above to your firewall's "white list" -- list of servers considered safe that should never be blocked. But before you do that, try this:

In slap's case, since the problem resolved itself, it might have been an issue with your DNS cache -- it's a local copy of the IP addresses that correspond to the servers you access. So, when you type a server name on your machine, the DNS cache is responsible for translating the name into a numeric IP address. It sounds as if the IP of the server changed recently, and it took a while for the DNS cache to be updated.

There is a cache in your computer, and there is also a cache in your ISP's server. There is nothing you can do about your ISP's DNS cache -- those typically get updated every few days at most, you might just have to wait until it solves itself, like it did for slap. If the problem is your home DNS cache, you can try flushing your DNS cache to force Windows to make a new copy. Here is how to do it in Windows 7 and 10:

- Click Start to open the Start menu.
    - In windows 7 Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box. In windows 10 simply type the letters cmd.
    - Right-click where it says "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator". You may need to provide your Windows administrator password if you are NOT currently logged in as an admin. If you are on a work computer, you might not have enough privileges to do this.
    - Once the window with the black background opens, type: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter (there is a space before the slash)

If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:

Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

then try accessing the website again and see if that helped.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wgoldfarb View Post

It will show all the servers your content has to go through to travel from your computer to the forum. Some servers are set to NOT respond to tracert commands, so some steps might be missing, but you should still see most of them. The first one is your home router, the last one is the forum's server.
    That's cool. Looks like it takes 11 hops to get from my work to AC, although two of them were time-outs. Are the time-out ones the servers that are set to not respond? Or do those ones not even show up at all?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

5 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    That's cool. Looks like it takes 11 hops to get from my work to AC, although two of them were time-outs. Are the time-out ones the servers that are set to not respond? Or do those ones not even show up at all?
    The timeouts are probably servers that do not respond. I believe they do this for security reasons. For instance, I think ping and tracert commands are one possible way you can mount an denial of service attack to bring down a website -- imagine several thousand computers pinging a server all at exactly the same time, over and over again. The server would be so busy responding to all those ping commands, that it would be unable to respond to normal traffic.

EDIT: Keeping up with slap's journal can also result in a denial of service. The server is so busy keeping up with all those posts, it can't respond to anyone else
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 09-29-2016 at 07:47 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Champagne for the holidays. Cheers! - mermaidwannabe   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Hope you feel better soon - Silbar   Thanks for the feedback, have a hot dog, LOL - Slaphppy7   You need a friend for Beauty, since Ghost was a meany - Slaphppy7   

3 Not allowed!

EDIT: Keeping up with slap's journal can also result in a denial of service. The server is so busy keeping up with all those posts, it can't respond to anyone else
    75 Gourami/Eel tank
    Fish room-Astt tanks;all sizes

75 Gourami Tank

Fish Room

DebinWhitmore

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   My fish say thanks - KoryKat   

1 Not allowed!

Yes, firewalls is one option, but I don't think that's the issue because the website worked well in the past. To check, add the ip address from the ping command above to your firewall's "white list" -- list of servers considered safe that should never be blocked. But before you do that, try this:

In slap's case, since the problem resolved itself, it might have been an issue with your DNS cache -- it's a local copy of the IP addresses that correspond to the servers you access. So, when you type a server name on your machine, the DNS cache is responsible for translating the name into a numeric IP address. It sounds as if the IP of the server changed recently, and it took a while for the DNS cache to be updated.

There is a cache in your computer, and there is also a cache in your ISP's server. There is nothing you can do about your ISP's DNS cache -- those typically get updated every few days at most, you might just have to wait until it solves itself, like it did for slap. If the problem is your home DNS cache, you can try flushing your DNS cache to force Windows to make a new copy. Here is how to do it in Windows 7 and 10:

- Click Start to open the Start menu.
    - In windows 7 Enter cmd in the Start menu search text box. In windows 10 simply type the letters cmd.
    - Right-click where it says "Command Prompt" and select "Run as Administrator". You may need to provide your Windows administrator password if you are NOT currently logged in as an admin. If you are on a work computer, you might not have enough privileges to do this.
    - Once the window with the black background opens, type: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter (there is a space before the slash)

If the command succeeds, the system returns the following message:

Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

then try accessing the website again and see if that helped.
    Yeah it cleared up on its own. The flush dns command will not work on an ipad.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    And now I'M having issues hahaha

Page 230 of 231 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231 LastLast