· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Porscharu914's 37gal bowfront

2 Not allowed!
    I have been encouraged to start a journal, so here goes. I'm just getting back into aquariums fire the first time since I was a kid. I have wanted a tank for a while but a decade of moving every other year while I was in the military didn't make sense.

My last tank seemed easy, de-chlorinate some water and drop some fish in and give them some food. I guess aquarium technology has come a long way. A quick look at this forum to get ideas turned my aquarium into a science experiment, which my daughter and I am having fun with. A fishless cycle is teaching both of us patience and chemistry.

I bought a 37 gallon bowfront tank and since I am incapable of leaving well enough alone, I built my own stand. A couple 2x4's and some MDF I had in my garage for the structural parts, some oak trim and thin plywood on the outside and I have a stand that looks like furniture instead of some rickety petsmart junk. Still deciding on the hinges. I'll get the doors on there shortly.

The fishless cycle started off well but I am anxious to get some fish in there. The only place I was able to find acceptable ammonia was at Dollar Tree and what do you know, it was only a dollar. If your local Ace Hardware doesn't have ammonia, try Dollar Tree. Today I dosed the tank for the 3rd time and my nitrites are still way up there so I've got a way to go. I bought some cheap plants from the fish store. I think that provided the kick to get the cycle going.

I really need to figure out how to rotate this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Nice start...man, that DW is putting off the tannins, lol.....they'll diminish in time...and the stand looks great

Are you sure the DT ammonia is pure ammonium hydroxide,, with no additives and such?...what's the concentration?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Best of luck with your cycle. You'll be ready for fish before you know it...

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Nice start...man, that DW is putting off the tannins, lol.....they'll diminish in time...and the stand looks great

Are you sure the DT ammonia is pure ammonium hydroxide,, with no additives and such?...what's the concentration?
    Thanks for the stand comment. As far as the driftwood goes, I soaked it for a week and decided to just stick it in there anyway. I was planning on getting some purigen once I finish with the cycle anyway.

I can't remember off the top of my head what the concentration of the ammonia is. I know the ammonia at walmart mentions surfectants and when shaken it foams up like crazy and the bubbles stay for 10 minutes or more. The label of the Dollar Tree stuff says 100% pure ammonia and doesn't mention of any additives. When shaken it bubbles slightly but they all pop within seconds. I think I'm safe. The cycle seems to be working though. I can go from 2ppm to 0ppm within 24 hours of dosing.

2 Not allowed!
    No need for Purigen unless you just want it for later use...I like the stained water look, and so do many fish, and it never hurts.

The ammonia sounds good, could you link us to it? It would be nice to have an alternative to the Ace stuff.

Glad to hear the cycle is coming along, it's fun to watch happen and easy to do with fairly simple instructions and a good test kit.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Your stand looks nice! It won't take much longer for your fishless cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No need for Purigen unless you just want it for later use...I like the stained water look, and so do many fish, and it never hurts.

The ammonia sounds good, could you link us to it? It would be nice to have an alternative to the Ace stuff.

Glad to hear the cycle is coming along, it's fun to watch happen and easy to do with fairly simple instructions and a good test kit.
    I don't particularly like the stained water look. Maybe in a chichlid tank, but my kids have their hearts set on guppy's and other "pretty fish". I have to pretend like the tank is for my kids or my wife will start calling me fish man or some other goofy name that probably suits me. I suppose I ought to stick with "pretty fish".

I tried to find a link to the ammonia I used but the one I bought was not on the website. There was a bottle of LA ammonia on dollar tree's website and someone had posted that it was un-usable for fishless cycles. I hope it isn't the same as mine with a different label. If it is, it is too late and my cycle is going well so i'm not going to start over.

You can probably see my API test kit in that picture. It works well. My 9 year old daughter brought out her science kit and helped me test the PH of the water with her test strips today. Our tap water here in San Antonio is a bit on the hard side.
    Last edited by porscharu914; 01-19-2016 at 02:01 AM.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by porscharu914 View Post
    I have been encouraged to start a journal, so here goes. I'm just getting back into aquariums fire the first time since I was a kid. I have wanted a tank for a while but a decade of moving every other year while I was in the military didn't make sense.

My last tank seemed easy, de-chlorinate some water and drop some fish in and give them some food. I guess aquarium technology has come a long way. A quick look at this forum to get ideas turned my aquarium into a science experiment, which my daughter and I am having fun with. A fishless cycle is teaching both of us patience and chemistry.

I bought a 37 gallon bowfront tank and since I am incapable of leaving well enough alone, I built my own stand. A couple 2x4's and some MDF I had in my garage for the structural parts, some oak trim and thin plywood on the outside and I have a stand that looks like furniture instead of some rickety petsmart junk. Still deciding on the hinges. I'll get the doors on there shortly.

The fishless cycle started off well but I am anxious to get some fish in there. The only place I was able to find acceptable ammonia was at Dollar Tree and what do you know, it was only a dollar. If your local Ace Hardware doesn't have ammonia, try Dollar Tree. Today I dosed the tank for the 3rd time and my nitrites are still way up there so I've got a way to go. I bought some cheap plants from the fish store. I think that provided the kick to get the cycle going.

I really need to figure out how to rotate this picture.

I think I figured out how to rotate the picture
    aquarium 1.jpg

3 Not allowed!
    SCORE!!!!

I only had to download a new program and fiddle with it for 20 minutes.

Awards Showcase

I like shoals. :) - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos 

0 Not allowed!
    The driftwood looks like mopani?? I have a piece and boiled it 6-7 times a day for almost 2 weeks. The water stayed dark with each boil. But once in the tank, it was much lighter and didn't take too much longer for the tannins to go away. I used Purigen too and I think that helped a lot.