· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 55

Default My 55

5 Not allowed!
    I have been reading quite a few tank builds. You guys are awesome! I feel like I already know some of you. Lol! Anyhoo.... I thought I would share my build of my 55 gal. A bit of history. I kept fish quite awhile ago. I have had community tanks, planted tanks, african cichlids, some SA cichlids, of course the occasional betta and even a reef tank. I finally am able to start my hobby again. One that I truly love. The hubs agreed to a 5.5 gallon for a betta. So I dilligently planted and of course cared for the little dude, and he was so impressed (haha) he surprised me with a 55 gal set up for Christmas. This is where it stands so far.

55 gallon
    BDBS substrate
    2 Aqueon Quietflow 75
    200 w heater
    Current Satellite +

I do have it planted, because I have to admit that my 75 gal planted years ago was probably my favorite

Flora:
    Needle leaf ludwigia
    2 banana plants
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Green Cabomba
    Bacopa
    Anubias barteri
    A val of some sort
    A hygrophilia (I believe corymbosa)
    Dwarf Sag
    Small amazon sword
    Java moss

Fauna:
    12 Black skirts (not my first choice, hubby really liked them)
    8 Lemons
    6 Neons
    2 Moonlight Gouramis
    1 Albino BN

I want to add some more fish but I am unsure as to what yet. I don't want to add to the neon's. They were in with the Betta and I moved them over. I just want them to be able to live out their lives happy and healthy. I do have to say that I am enjoying the Black Skirts more and more. Such a spunky little group! Never had a big school of them before. What a difference it makes! Here are some pictures. Please ignore the water spotted glass. Had just done a PWC.

IMG_20160205_153745.jpgIMG_20160205_153456.jpgIMG_20160205_153508.jpg

Just wanted to share. Thanks for looking!

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

1 Not allowed!
    Pretty tank! Off to a great start!

I love the Black Diamond. If I had a TractorSupply closer to town I would have used it in more of my tanks.

I like the plant selection you have. Looks great now, can't wait to see how it all fills in over the next six months. I'll be following along!
    29 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    55 gallon - Community tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Crowntail tank - Journal
    10 gallon - Carbon Rili tank - Journal

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - Anders247 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Right back at ya! Happy Friday brother. - AmazonJoe Back at you, glad your here ;-) - steeler58 Have a beer for the new fish and safe delivery ;-) - steeler58 
    vicariously sharing your Harleys - RiversGirl I could not rep you for you tank, so have a b-day cake for the little guy ;-) - steeler58 And a cool one for dad ;-) - steeler58 Can't stop at 1! - Boundava Now you have three. - Boundava 
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh! And welcome to the AC!

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome! Your husband is a keeper. Great start so far.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

2 Not allowed!
    Very nice upgrade indeed bet you were surprised!!

Welcome to the AC! Awesome to see another Journal to read!!

another 6 neons maybe more? That would make them a lot happier and a decent school for sure.

1 Not allowed!
    Always nice to welcome another fellow Texan to the AC
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 02-11-2016 at 12:31 AM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - mommy1 Sorry for the loss of you "braveheart" it's a guppy but we don't have endlers ;-) - steeler58 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Anders247 
    Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58 Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7 No endlers but have a guppy for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58 Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar 

2 Not allowed!
    Welcome! You have a beautiful tank and a keen eye for scaping.
    46 Gallon tank cycled.
    18 Cardinals 1 Pearl Gourami, male, 9 Pristella tetra, 5 Endlers + unknown number of fry, 5 otocinclus and 5 sterbai cory.

Deb' 46 Gallon Peaceable Kingdom
    Deb's 10 Gallon Endler and Shrimp Farm

1 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the suggestion AmazonJoe. :) I really don't want to add to the neons. I have never had very good luck with them. This group of 6 have been with me for about 5 months now. I might consider cardinals. Not sure. I haven't kept harlequin rasboras yet and am kinda enamored with them. Haha :) I am also looking for some bottom dwellers. Havent' decided if I want a school of kuhli's or cories. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmazonJoe View Post
    Very nice upgrade indeed bet you were surprised!!

Welcome to the AC! Awesome to see another Journal to read!!

another 6 neons maybe more? That would make them a lot happier and a decent school for sure.
    I agree. I know the OP said she doesn't want anymore neons, but bumping up their numbers will make them more happy. Neons are really so small that they don't contribute much to a tank's bioload. The closer you can get them to ten, the better. I started off with 5, and then gradually kept adding more and more over time. They really do perk up once you get about 8-10, and the colors get deeper and deeper.

Just my opinion based on my own experience, of course. We are a bit tetra-happy around here, so you might get more members suggesting the same thing regarding the neons.

0 Not allowed!
    Yea you could easily get away with keeping the neons at 6 and get a few cardinals since there in the same genus it would be just as beneficial to there comfort.

And I definitely will vote for a school of cory's!