· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishkeeper's 38 Community Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone! Started a 38 gallon tank with a Magnum HOT filter running a under gravel filter in reverse, and a c3 HOB filter. Starting stocking yesterday with 1 powder blue dwarf gourami, one red flame dwarf gourami, and six harlequin rasboras. Will wait about three to four weeks before adding some cory cats and 8 neon tetras. I also want to add another dwarf gourami.Not doing a fishless cycle so stocking slowly and testing my water. I added some tetra safe start to help cycle the tank. It has been a long time since I have had a tank running and Iam happy to be back in the hobby.

0 Not allowed!
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Link doesn't work right for me.

1 Not allowed!
    If the dwarf gouramis are both males they may fight, I wouldn't add another one.
    If you were to have multiple males you'd need a large tank and a large group of them.

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah they are both males. Ok I will stay with just the two then. I should have enough hiding places in my tank for them both.

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishkeeper4 View Post
    Yeah they are both males. Ok I will stay with just the two then. I should have enough hiding places in my tank for them both.
    Should, doesn't always mean do. If you have a quarantine tank to put one of the male gourami in til your plants fill out more and your tank gets more established, it would be a good idea. A good size quarantine tank would be a Ten gallon tank as you may make it his permanent home.

Another option is rehome BOTH Dwarf Gouramis and get a SINGLE Pearl Gourami as a show fish. It would look lovely in your tank, and since none of the other fish in your tank are the aggressive type it shouldn't go 'shy' on you. I love how my female pearl gourami looks in my 20 gallon tall. Elsa loves swimming around.

20 gal tall -4 paskai's rainbowfish, 8 rasbora het, 1 nerite, 2 assassin snails, 1 rock with java moss, green crypto (3 clusters plus one strip), 2 mossballs

10 gal shrimp tank planted with java fern on driftwood, star shaped foreground plants, mossball. cherry, ninja, algae eating, and ghost shrimp. And Cherry Shrimp babies

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, they still may fight but since they get 3 inches long I would not have them in a 10g, a 20 high would be fine though.

1 Not allowed!
    Shidohari, good idea about the single pearl gourami. I love those as well. But so far so good, though I have noticed the smaller blue dwarf is more aggressive of the two. He does chase the red one at times though I have seen the red stand his ground. The red one is larger of the two. I have fake plants but a decent amount of them. And two pieces of driftwood. I will keep an eye on them. Being a decent size tank, they both should be able to stake their territories.

Anders, I agree, a 10 would be kinda small for one.

So far no ammonia in the tank. Fed some frozen bloodworms and the fish loved it! They also ate some flakes yesterday. Keeping the feedings light while the tank cycles.
    Last edited by fishkeeper4; 06-29-2015 at 11:12 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anders247 View Post
    I agree, they still may fight but since they get 3 inches long I would not have them in a 10g, a 20 high would be fine though.
    I was suggesting that he moved ONE of the male gouramis to a 10 gallon tank...NOT BOTH. That would be suicidal. But it's his choice...I hope everything works out.

20 gal tall -4 paskai's rainbowfish, 8 rasbora het, 1 nerite, 2 assassin snails, 1 rock with java moss, green crypto (3 clusters plus one strip), 2 mossballs

10 gal shrimp tank planted with java fern on driftwood, star shaped foreground plants, mossball. cherry, ninja, algae eating, and ghost shrimp. And Cherry Shrimp babies

Cinnamon = 9 year old Siamese Cat

1 Not allowed!
    Well they appear to have staked out their territories. While the blue one seems to dominate, I have noticed the red one chasing the blue one away too. The blue one seems to have the right side of he aquarium as his. The red the other side. No missing scales or ripped fins. Still will keep an eye on them. The rasboras are doing great.