· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default 27 Cube Tanganykian

3 Not allowed!
    I'm not sure if this counts as a "journal," but I'd like some feedback on this project as it develops. I posted something similar on another forum without much response.

I had a longstanding 10g shell dweller colony (multifasciatus). I recently decided to upgrade and a 27 cube because it seemed like a great footprint for a group of multies. But of course then I got thinking...

I built up some rockwork in the back in preparation for a cave dweller. First I thought calvus--I really like them. But members here suggested a 27 cube is too small for a calvus pair with a multi colony. So I've been looking into Julies. I have a line on trans. gombe, and I think a pair might work well in the tank.

In the meantime I've added some plants and changed over to a Eheim 2215. Overkill, maybe, but after drilling 1/4 inch holes for the spraybar the current is great. Also added an inline heater. Love having the heater out of the tank.

Thinking the next step is a Current Satellite Pro LED light, though I have some diatom issues I haven't resolved and I'm not sure more light is the answer. Also thinking about adding more substrate (crushed argonite) and building it up like 5Attachment 43546 inches so they can really dig. I just worry it's a lot of gravel to clean, esp under the shells.

Anyway--thoughts so far? Anything from filter to lights and diatoms to overstocking and compatibility.

2. Default

2 Not allowed!
    A follow up. I've gone a bit higher with the rockwork and added about 15lbs of Cichlid sand. Rocks are slate and river limestone. For some reason the water is dusty now. I changed the fine pad on my eheim and swapped out one of the bigger rocks, but neither seems to help.

Also changed the stocking by adding 5 julie trans(?) gombe and 1 calico BN pleco. I'm setting up a 10 gallon to start removing some of the multies. Trying to get rid of about 15 (if anyone is interested).

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG
    Last edited by Tanichthys; 11-22-2015 at 04:25 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Looks good, great pics...is this tank set up to view from all sides?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

4. Default

3 Not allowed!
    No, unfortunately. Just one other side. And I realize that kind of defeats the purpose of the cube. But I like the depth and texture. The other option for this space was a standard 29. Same footprint in terms of square inches, but obviously more length. I wanted layers of habitat (shells/caves) rather than separate sections (shells on one side, caves on the other). We'll see if they can all get along this way...

IMG_1514.JPG

IMG_1515.JPG

1 Not allowed!
    I was just going to say that a black background on the back glass would really make your scaping and fish "pop", and stand out more.

Something as simple as black posterboard, cut to size.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 superbowl 2014 - cm12setx Here's to the retired life! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Have another tetra just because ;-) - steeler58 
    Thanks for the plants! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the rep ;-) - steeler58 Get well soon! - RiversGirl Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos Happy Safe Delivery! - Rue 

1 Not allowed!
    Tank looks nice. When I researched shellies, the julies were recommended as good tank mates. They're supposed to stay higher provided you've got the rock/cave structure for them. Looks like you've done that very well.

Is this what you have? - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profile...es.php?id=1537

I never went through with the shellie tank as I didn't want to deal with the potential breeding, but it seems like 5 julies could be a little too many? I think a pair would be just right. But since I really don't have experience with them, you're the best judge of your own tank.
    Last edited by SueD; 11-22-2015 at 06:11 PM.

7. Default

2 Not allowed!
    Yep, that's what I have. 5 juvies. The idea is that they will pair off and then I will remove the others. The recommendation is to add 6 to narrow down a pair. I did 5 and am crossing my fingers.

And slap--I like the recommendation. I've been thinking about a background. Just haven't gotten around to it.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep! - mommy1 Sorry for the loss of you "braveheart" it's a guppy but we don't have endlers ;-) - steeler58 Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Anders247 
    Happy Friday, Deb! - BluewaterBoof Thanks for the nice compliment on Spardas's thread ;-) - steeler58 Good luck with the testing! - Slaphppy7 No endlers but have a guppy for all your hard work ;-) - steeler58 Happy Easter and thanks for the Rep! - Silbar 

2 Not allowed!
    Nice looking. I know nothing of the species you are talking about but I really like the look of the vertical arrangement in your tank. It's like having fish living on different stories of your tank. Very cool.
    46 Gallon tank cycled.
    18 Cardinals 1 Pearl Gourami, male, 9 Pristella tetra, 5 Endlers + unknown number of fry, 5 otocinclus and 5 sterbai cory.

Deb' 46 Gallon Peaceable Kingdom
    Deb's 10 Gallon Endler and Shrimp Farm

9. Default

3 Not allowed!
    I don't love the rockwork, actually. I'd prefer all the rocks to be the same, and really, to look more natural rather than like a highrise. But it's hard to do natural in a small space and get tall plus have room for the shells.

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Another update. I've added an Ecoxotic E-Series Light Strip and moved around my anubias a bit (worried they have way to much light now). Also added another filter (aquaclear 30). I'm annoyed to have so much mechanical stuff in the tank now, but I think the second filter is helping with the dustiness in the tank I keep experiencing. For the time being I'm going to use the eheim 2215 exclusively for biological filtration and the aquaclear will be stuffed with extra fine floss, which I will remove maybe every week or 2. I got rid of about 15 of the shell dwellers and still think there are too many in there (they keep having babies). Have to try to send out another 5 or so.

IMG_1741.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG