· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Quarantine Tank

1. Default Quarantine Tank

0 Not allowed!
    Heya, I was thinking of getting a few "mystery snails" from my local petsmart (probably blue and black if they have those colors) for my 40 gallon and my 5.5 gallon quarantine tank. I know they'll be fine in the 40 gallon, but I'm curious about the quarantine tank. I usually leave it up and running at the moment because I'm trying to stock both my 40 gallon and my 15 gallon (though mostly the 40 gallon) and it looks a tad empty with just a few fish and then sometimes nothing at all. I do dose it weekly with prazipro, but other than that it's just the glass tank with the bare necessities and 1-2 hiding places, depending on the fish I have in there. No gravel, no plants, nothing of those sorts. Would a Petsmart mystery snail be okay with that? I would quarantine the 2 I plan on putting in the 40 gallon anyways, but then they'd only be there for 2 weeks, what about permanently?

P.S. The QTank will be up for quite some time because, like I said, I'm trying to finish stocking 2 of my tanks that are both about half stocked, and then, if everyone stays alive and healthy for a month or 2 I was going to start on a 10 gallon glofish tank for my younger brother, after which, if I do disassemble the Q tank, the snail will move into the glofish tank.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

0 Not allowed!
    To answer your original question, snails really dont care much about aquarium size and decor. if the water is somewhat clean and they are fed and the aquarium is not too bright, they could be happy almost anywhere. However, The thing is that in a quarantine tank with preemptive medicine dosing, a snail is constantly exposed to chemicals that are potentially lethal to molluscs. most fish medications are not invertebrate sAfe.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    many fish meds have c0pper in them, and that w0uld d0 the snails in rather quickly.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Prazipro says it's safe for all commonly kept aquatic pets and only mentions ribbon worms as an issue, plus a few quick google searches show that others have used it in snail tanks with no ill effects so... I'm willing to risk it if the other facts don't affect his health.

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

0 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with prazipro, but if that is the case then it is worth a try. If you have any pest snails like bladder snails or ramshorn snails maybe try with those rather than a mystery snail? If the pests survive then you know for sure whether it is safe.
    You will have to be careful with other medications though, possibly to the point of not using them entirely. Even if you remove the snail during treatment with a snail harmful medication the substances tend to remain in the silicone of the tank for a very long time.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have yet to need to medicate fish really, outside of my precautionary prazipro. I haven't had any pest snails yet (and intend to keep it that way).