· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 8 Days, No change in Ammonia or Nitrites during fishless cycle.

0 Not allowed!
    I'd assume this is pretty common. But just in case, I want to make sure I didn't goof it up.

36g bow front tank. I dosed it to 4ppm with pure ammonia. It's been running steady with 2 hob filters loaded with included filters plus some biomax pouches. Temp had been between 78 - 82 degree F.

No change in ammonia levels yet nor any sign of nitrites.

Did I dose too high or am I just being impatient?
    Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

0 Not allowed!
    I've cycled with slightly higher amounts of ammonia with no real noticeable impact

You could raise your temp to about 84F to help speed things up a little as well as adding a airstone to help increase the oxygen level in the water. Give it a few more days before changing anything else (more than the temp and bubbler)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I've cycled with slightly higher amounts of ammonia with no real noticeable impact

You could raise your temp to about 84F to help speed things up a little as well as adding a airstone to help increase the oxygen level in the water. Give it a few more days before changing anything else (more than the temp and bubbler)
    Airstone has been running since the initial setup. I'll jack the temp up a bit more.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Changed out the 2 x 50w heaters for a 200w heater and finally got the tank up to a consistent 82 degrees. Ammonia level hasn't changed but I'm just going to pretend like I started the day the new heater went it since my tank isn't struggling to stay above 74 degrees with the battle of the heaters vs the air conditioning.

I also decided to leave the light out since despite the cycle not beginning, I'm starting to see a little algae.

0 Not allowed!
    Unless you have plants in a tank that require lighting, there's no need to run your lights during cycling anyway.

It could take a while to see ammonia start to drop.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ammonia hasn't dropped noticeably yet, but nitrites are starting to register during testing. Also have live active filters en route to speed up the action.

0 Not allowed!
    If you are getting nitrites, you are making progress. The ammonia should start to noticeable drop pretty soon
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As a former career golfer I thought I had developed the patience of a rock. However it seems that this cycling process has tested my boundaries. XD

I have to stop testing so frequently. I'm blowing through test solution quickly due to my lack of patience. ;)

0 Not allowed!
    LOL, hang in there. Your just a chip and a put away !!!

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz 
    fishies - Hardy85 The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA 
    cheers man - mojosodope Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy 
    lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    testing daily is an exercise in futility, it will make y0u nuts and waste test s0luti0n, y0u are getting there- it just seems like a l0ng trip.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!