· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I tested and it was at maybe 30ppm (darn those confusing colorcharts that never seem to be that helpful!), but last time I tested my tap it was at maybe 20ppm. Doing another 50% water change won't actually lower it that much. :/
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your tap water sounds soo sketchy... have you looked into treating it? Maybe a deionizer or something

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    The ammonia in the tap is from chloramines, and many places have hard water. Water treatment units are too expensive and too much of a hassle.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Your bio ought to be able to handle the ammonia, but you also got nitrates

I have a crazy idea involving 2 buckets, a desk lamp, and an air pump
    One bucket to dechlorinate your tap water in, the other bucket stuff it with fast growing emergent plants to eat up the nitrate, air pump to circulate the water for the plants

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    My bio ought to be handling the ammonia, but for some reason isn't. It's a medium-light tank stocking, with a cycled filter and lots of plants, a very big chunk of which are of the faster-growing nitrogen-mop variety.

And yet somehow, ammonia has been staying at .25ppm, and the nitrates seem to steadily go up no mater what it is.

I haven't really seen any significant growth in my plants, other than a new leaf on the anubias nana and a bunch of plantlets off of the java ferns. The original stems that I put in the day I started cycling are still the same height (and many are small, so it takes less growth for it to be significant and noticeable). I'm wondering if there's something low or missing in my water chemistry that means that the plants aren't really growing.

I ended up doing two water changes tonight. Once earlier when I tested the water and noticed the too-high nitrates, and then just now because they were still elevated higher than I was comfortable with after the lights turned off. I guess I"ll find out how much good that water change did in the morning.

And Prime does say on the label that it detoxifies nitrates as well, and I added somewhere in the 1.5-2 dose range with this last water change.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry my previous post didn't actually contain anything immediately useful

For your question about Prime, here is a thread about Prime from Seachem's forum. Very detailed information.
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3983
    One of the things it said was to dose ever 24 hours to keep the ammonia detoxified, but I didn't find anything about what 5 doses means about water changes.

But to be conservative I think maybe change the water anyway, like if you 5 doses would mean 4 days if you dose every 24 hrs.

I read your journal thread, but didn't see a picture of the "sponge baffle" you added, can you post a clear close-up of it? Should look at it even if it wasn't the original cause of the problem.

EDIT*oops got ninja'd
    Last edited by BIO-Linist; 07-27-2013 at 09:45 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I looked at your data and you show tapwater nitrate at 0 from 3 years ago, then 10ppm last month and now it's 20ppm

Nitrate is probably coming from fertilizer used on farms and stuff, who knows what else is polluting your water supply (pesticides???)
    Maybe your tapwater chemistry is fluctuating too much? This could explain why sometimes the plants do awesome, and then suddenly not so good even though you haven't significantly changed anything otherwise. This could also explain the sudden failure of your cycle.
    It could be useful to see if others in your area are having similar issues.

Oh one more thing, have you checked if a small animal has crawled into your tank and died? That could also cause ammonia spike + high nitrates in an already cycled tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    For your question about Prime, here is a thread about Prime from Seachem's forum. Very detailed information.
    http://www.seachem.com/support/forum...ead.php?t=3983
    One of the things it said was to dose ever 24 hours to keep the ammonia detoxified, but I didn't find anything about what 5 doses means about water changes.
    That is a very handy link, thank you!

I read your journal thread, but didn't see a picture of the "sponge baffle" you added, can you post a clear close-up of it? Should look at it even if it wasn't the original cause of the problem.
    Here's what it looks like:

Mine sits against and slightly below the filter outflow. The purpose of it is to redirect the outgoing water and make it more diffuse, so that you don't get as strong a current. Unfortunately, it is necessary because my fish is native to an area with calm, low-flow waters, and and has been bred for hundreds of years to have even longer, flow-ier fins that make it even harder to swim in a current. It is such a small tank that it's really important to adjust the filter flow, and this is the only way I can with this model.

Quote Originally Posted by BIO-Linist View Post
    I looked at your data and you show tapwater nitrate at 0 from 3 years ago, then 10ppm last month and now it's 20ppm

Nitrate is probably coming from fertilizer used on farms and stuff, who knows what else is polluting your water supply (pesticides???)
    Maybe your tapwater chemistry is fluctuating too much? This could explain why sometimes the plants do awesome, and then suddenly not so good even though you haven't significantly changed anything otherwise. This could also explain the sudden failure of your cycle.
    I'm testing some of the treated tap leftover from last night's water change, getting an idea of how much nitrogen products are in it to see if doing another WC would be beneficial. I've also added background colors to show which data is from the same water, and which had been changed by a water change to get a better sense of that timing.

...Yeesh. Just got the nitrate result from the tap. Was the dark orange-red that matches the 40-80 mark. Okay, so a water change isn't going to do me good.

It could be useful to see if others in your area are having similar issues.
    Where would I ask? I'm not a member of the local aquarium club, and I don't know anyone else locally in the hobby. I know someone on another board I'm on suggested having one of the Pet stores test my water, to see if their answers correlate with me. I think I should test the tests by having them test the DI water... Those should come up all 0. However, that will have to wait until I get home from work.

Oh one more thing, have you checked if a small animal has crawled into your tank and died? That could also cause ammonia spike + high nitrates in an already cycled tank.
    Nope, no small animal. It's a small tank, nowhere for one to hide.
    1. 2. (No Picture)

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just read through this entire thread. I see why you're frustrated..
    Just for the sake of experimentation, you could try water changes using bottled water for a few weeks to see if it affects your readings. (not distilled, just bottled drinking water).
    If that fixes the problem, you'll know it's most likely an issue with your water supply.

Another thought - I have a 5 gal betta tank (also home to 6 neons), lightly planted. I run two, very compact Cascade HOB filters rated for 7 gallons each. I use the same cartridges that came with the filters over a year ago along with some sponge I stuffed into each filter and change out 60% of the water weekly. That's it. perimeters are always 0/0/<5. These particular filters are VERY low flow and do not bother the betta. So - clearly this tank would be considered over stocked by most but I never see an ammonia spike or high nitrates.
    Only mentioning this because I agree that a second filter might be an answer - even if your tap water shows some ammonia and nitrates. Two fully seeded filters should be able to handle the ammonia in the tap water.

I also noticed you have 2 betta tanks. do you have this problem with both tanks?

Hope this might have helped. Good luck
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I just read through this entire thread. I see why you're frustrated..
    Thank you!

Just for the sake of experimentation, you could try water changes using bottled water for a few weeks to see if it affects your readings. (not distilled, just bottled drinking water).
    If that fixes the problem, you'll know it's most likely an issue with your water supply.
    Any idea for how to do that without shocking my betta from the change in chemistry? I doubt bottled water would have similar conditions as far as pH and hardness, even if it is filtered from my local tap (I buy 5 gal bottles of water from a local water store with their own filtering equipment).

Another thought - I have a 5 gal betta tank (also home to 6 neons), lightly planted. I run two, very compact Cascade HOB filters rated for 7 gallons each. I use the same cartridges that came with the filters over a year ago along with some sponge I stuffed into each filter and change out 60% of the water weekly. That's it. perimeters are always 0/0/<5. These particular filters are VERY low flow and do not bother the betta. So - clearly this tank would be considered over stocked by most but I never see an ammonia spike or high nitrates.
    Only mentioning this because I agree that a second filter might be an answer - even if your tap water shows some ammonia and nitrates. Two fully seeded filters should be able to handle the ammonia in the tap water.
    Part of what I'm worried about isn't the second filter's flow on its own, but it adding to the current already present in the tank. My betta is at his limit for what current he can tolerate with just the one filter, and I have the current as baffled as I can get it. He was tailbiting before, and I think it was due to stress. I haven't seen any new damage in the last few days, so I'm not sure if the change was from added cover from the plants, or reduced flow from getting the filter baffled this much, or both.

I also noticed you have 2 betta tanks. do you have this problem with both tanks?
    Currently, the big tank is still in the early setting-up stages. I'm just now gathering everything I need for the sump filter I'm building (the pump came with yesterday's mail, and I need to figure out the best way to move water with it). I have the betta fry that will go in it in my QT/hospital tank for the moment, and I haven't cycled that tank. I'm doing daily water changes with Prime, so it's harder to tell what's going on.

Hope this might have helped. Good luck
    Thank you!
    1. 2. (No Picture)